Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAX right offs

3 posters

Go down

TAX right offs Empty Re: TAX right offs

Post by Teentitan Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:47

The letter from SISIP is a unique deal. When I submitted my letter for the tax deduction in 2000 it was a real head scratcher for CRA. They denied it and I talked to no less then 2 CRA agents/managers. Finally after 2/3 days they contacted me and said that "return of monthly premiums" for a client that is on LTD is only applicable to the CF.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 08:56

Here's a tax check-list from a company I'm not trying to endorse one way or the other. It may generate a few ideas.

http://www.hrbtaxtalk.ca/wp-content/files_mf/1325448008GR803Checklist0711.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 08:29

could be puddle.when it started i dont know.mine came in 08 so im sure it would have been sometime before that.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 08:17

True, may be just a new thing they have begun with correspondence.

I have all my letters from SISIP and abosolutely nothing reference taxes.
puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Feb 2013, 08:05

ya guys im sum zero since 08 my first payment was october 2012 .i still have my old letter and envelope.the letter basicly says you are accepted but we are paying you nothing.it also says they have provided this tax letter for my use should their ever come a time i do recive payment from them.the tax letter is in their as well.so im sure they didnt do this just for me.maybe they just started sending the letters to people from 08 onward ore 06 onward im not sure but mine was in my letter.you may want to take another good look at thoes letters and if you cant find them call sisip and ask for one.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by puddleduk2 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 07:45

I didnt receive any monetary sum until the begining of payments this past October from SISIP, being zero'd out previously.

There is nothing in any previous letter(s) from SISIP reference deducting the payments into the LTD program,

and having received no payments until this past October,

the only write off letter for those deductions for payments made into the program I may receive will have to do with my 2012 taxes as that is the year they actually began to be declared as taxable.

puddleduk2
puddleduk2
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 11 Feb 2013, 00:22

I don't remember ever getting one of those letters when I was on SISIP. After my release I moved from Ottawa to Halifax half way through the year, and since taxes are so much higher in NS, and are based solely on where you lived in December, I ended up through the nose.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:27

If you have paid a portion of the premiums, the T4A you receive will be for the gross amount of the benefits received, but you can deduct your contributions to the plan. Instead of entering the T4A amount from box 107 on Line 104 of your tax return, you would enter the net amount after deducting contributions you made to the plan after 1967, if you did not use them on a previous year's return

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:17

true the tax letter will be with your initial acceptance letter from when you first applied.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:16

Yes that's true but you need a letter from SISIP to attach to your tax return.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

TAX right offs Empty TAX right offs

Post by Guest Sun 10 Feb 2013, 23:15

I am sure we can all benefit from any possible tax deductions
Are the LTD benefits taxable? Yes. However, during the first year you become a claimant all the LTD premiums paid during your military career can be deducted for tax purposes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum