Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Pension Acts...

4 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Question on Pension Acts... - Page 3 Empty Re: Question on Pension Acts...

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 22:30

wynterowl I read it a couple of times in the PA.

propat

Back to top Go down

Question on Pension Acts... - Page 3 Empty Back on track please.

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 22:11

The actual original question on this thread is : I was just wondering what act actually states that the old monthly Veteran's Pension is NOT to be accounted for in any government instances? ie: Not having to declare it as an actual income towards, income taxes, the "SISIP Clawback".

Thank you.

Wynterowl wrote:Hi all,

I was just wondering what act actually states that the old VP is NOT to be accounted for in any government instances? ie: Not having to declare it as an actual income towards, income taxes, the "SISIP Clawback", and now supposedly with the WLRP... (not holding my breath on that one), or having to report it as income in some provincial services ie.: ODSP (Ontario Disability Supports Program.

I just need a reference link to that act.

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 21:36

For tax purposes the VIP money is considered a grant and therefore not taxable. Check out your my vac account and it's a new section that displays your annual and semi annual VIP payments , it says grant!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 21:34

Rex that very question was asked at the last VAC Stakeholder meeting in December and the answer is it will NOT be taxed.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 11 Sep 2013, 21:13

What I have been trying to ge tan answer on, is under the old VIP, I could get all services plus any taxes I paid for those services reimbursed 100%, up to my $1400 for lawn care. But under the new plan, when they deposit the money twice a year, is it taxed? If it is, in the end every Veteran on VIP is actually losing hundred of dollars from their benefit. They say it is to cut red tape, but I suspect the only thing getting reduced is their financial obligation, once again.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 16:19

ODSP checks CRA files and an alert gets sent to them if you have any income recorded, ie cpp premiums, EI , income tax deductions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 16:04

If you are wondering if you claim ODSP as an income on income tax......yes you do but it's a different T-4.
If ODSP was under your wife's name, SHE has to claim it on her own income tax.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 15:49

They told me that I had not reported it which I did and they kept paying so they hit me hard at that time. I've had to return 3 months of it.
Example: Lets say, you have been on ODSP for 3 years and you receive money next month from this class action and you receive 5 years. They will ask for the three years back because you will receive money that would cover the years you were on ODSP.
I hope this helps

Widow of Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 15:48

My other half's file with them is closed now, but it got me thinking... If this is what happened with the SISIP Clawback, then all govt. depts. SHOULD fall in line... not saying that they will. So, now I am trying to get what they took with regards to my old (monthly) pension.

Widow of Veteran wrote:Wynterowl.....be careful with ODSP. I was with them when my husband passed away and they canceled everything. They sent me a letter that I owed them and I am still paying after 6 years as they keep my income tax every year.
I believe they will stop payment. If they find out that this was retro active. They will probably ask to be reimburse as far as they can go.
Don't advise them until you get your cheque. You will have to report it. They may also ask for proof of this money that you are about to get and then they have the dates......that's the bad part.

I wish you the best

Widow of Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 15:38

Wynterowl.....be careful with ODSP. I was with them when my husband passed away and they canceled everything. They sent me a letter that I owed them and I am still paying after 6 years as they keep my income tax every year.
I believe they will stop payment. If they find out that this was retro active. They will probably ask to be reimburse as far as they can go.
Don't advise them until you get your cheque. You will have to report it. They may also ask for proof of this money that you are about to get and then they have the dates......that's the bad part.

I wish you the best

Widow of Veteran

Back to top Go down

Question on Pension Acts... - Page 3 Empty Question on Pension Acts...

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 14:54

Hi all,

I was just wondering what act actually states that the old VP is NOT to be accounted for in any government instances? ie: Not having to declare it as an actual income towards, income taxes, the "SISIP Clawback", and now supposedly with the WLRP... (not holding my breath on that one), or having to report it as income in some provincial services ie.: ODSP (Ontario Disability Supports Program.

I just need a reference link to that act.

Thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum