Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

military veteran priority

4 posters

Go down

military veteran priority Empty Re: military veteran priority

Post by Nemo Sat 14 Sep 2013, 20:36

Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Sat 14 Sep 2013, 16:21

The strides made since are encouraging however.

One Veteran. One Standard

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M Sat 14 Sep 2013, 16:19

Was the legion even designed for the wars post ww1. I really don't believe so..

And it probably have not been made so. Ww1 IS still known as the 'war to end all wars'. Nothing since makes par.

You don't go to Tim Hortons for steak do you??

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 14 Sep 2013, 14:45

For myself personally, I have never felt any kinship with the Legion. Certainly when I was in the military, it was clear I was not a 'real veteran' as far as the Legion was concerned. I felt and still feel that the Legion served a great purpose for those in the wars in the first half of the 20th century. The Legion became not so relevant for those that came after. And I think that is a big part as to why their numbers have declined and why they had to open up membership to everyone out there. I was never interested in playing darts and bingo in a smoke filled room with men who thought my service (and especially as a woman) was not quite good enough.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 14 Sep 2013, 13:55

Nemo it's not a "generalized accepted term" it is fact that once a person signs the dotted line to join the Canadian Armed Forces they are a veteran.

The GoC changed the definition of a veteran about 5 years ago to "accept" currently serving members as veterans.

Like I said it has nothing...absolutely nothing...to do with the number of WWII, Korea, Gulf War, Afghanistan, Special Duty Area a person in uniform is a veteran by authorization of the GoC.

Until someone proves me wrong the Legion is/was the driving force behind this change of definition of veteran. Their membership rules over the last 15 years have changed from being a honorably discharged CF soldier to a person with a military lineage (father, grandparents, uncles, aunts, brother or sister who served or is serving) to anyone who wants to be a "cornerstone" in their community.

Retiring CF personnel were not joining the Legion and their numbers were dropping fast so they changed the membership rules just as fast. That plan wasn't really working and they needed money. So when Ontario wanted to make personalized licence plates with the poppy on it they had to pay the Legion and the member (CF or vet) has to go to the Legion Service Officer pay $5 to sign a form to take the the MOT to get your vet licence plate.

Then when the Highway of Heroes was adopted by Ontario they used the poppy on the highway markers. The Legion went to the Ontario Gov't and said pay up. Ontario said enough is enough and removed the poppy signs.

Highway 416 heading into Ottawa is known as the Veterans Highway. The Legion went after the fed's to get their money because they used the poppy on the highway signs. The fed's did their homework and told the Legion to go away. Why? The fed's painted white lines on the poppy to change the poppy look so as not to infringe on the trademark of the poppy that the Legion has.

How the Legion has the copyright on the poppy is still a mystery to me but they own it even though they have never, to my knowledge, showed the paperwork.

Right now the Legion is having a mild discussion with an old age home in New Brunswick. The ladies are crocheting poppies with safety pins on them and selling them for $5 or $10 dollars. They are recouping their costs and donating the rest to a veteran charity. Last I heard the group of lovely little old ladies are still making them even though the Legion is trying to stop them.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:16

I guess if u look at a generalized accepted term for veteran it includes those currently serving. For instance, if u look at someone who served in Afghan, they are definitely a war veteran even if they continue to serve. I think in Canada, we have been so reluctant to call anyone a veteran who did not serve in WW1 (all gone now), WW2 ( getting short on numbers now) and the Korean war. It is a completely different mindset in the USA.

So the companies looking for military veterans are generally looking for healthy veterans. They must be physically and mentally fit to fulfill their job descriptions. If one has jobs in which disabled veterans could fulfill, then it is great if they give priority to disabled vets. But I don't imagine many of those job opps exist.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 14 Sep 2013, 11:03

I just want to remind everyone that the definition of "veteran" changed many years ago.

People currently employed by the Canadian Forces are veterans.  I would really like to know how a currently serving soldier is a veteran?  The only answer I can come up with is either politics or by a Veteran Organization known to monetarily exploit the poppy symbol for their own coffers and membership.

So as much as we would like to think these companies are going to give the medically released veteran a job it's not true they are trying to get the healthy CF veteran to quit the CF and work for them.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 14 Sep 2013, 10:35

Yeah, while it is nice for companies to consider veterans, these companies are not saying they are opening up jobs for disabled veterans. if the job requires u to be physically fit, it won't make any difference if they give preference to veterans but you r not physically fit for job.
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 13:04

And not to offend bobyouruncle the info is good for the troops

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 13:03

Nice said Rex

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:37

I agree Robbie, this is just another example of their stolen Helmets for Hardhats concept. Taken young Veterans, likely those who've only completed one or two contracts, or reserves, and taking advantage of the physical conditioning that is required in the CF, as well as other traits associated with soldiering, such as commitment, honour, loyalty and discipline. But so far, none of these so called priority hiring initiatives have been aimed at physically disabled Veterans, because as far as Harper is concerned, even with PTSD, you are still able to swing a hammer. When I released, the only job I could find was as a dispatcher with the Commissionaires, because all I had to do was answer a phone and be able to use a radio and a computer. But even they are starting to shy away from hiring disabled Vets, because they are having to compete for contracts against newer companies with younger employees. Just look at Capital Health in Halifax. The Commissionaires had been the chosen Security firm with them since the 70's I believe, but lost out 2 years ago to a company from out west, even though when they won the contract that had no employees in the city, and had to go on a hiring spree. I was on the last shift at the hospital for the handover, and at 39, was the youngest on my team, and handed over to Paladin Security, whose oldest employee was 21, and half their team didn't even show up on time for the midnight changeover. And then add insult to injury, we had to train the people who were putting us out of work. Sorry, I digress, just a little bitter still. So even the Commissionaires have started a type of universality of service, with being able to walk a certain distance, stand for a certain amount of time, carry a set amount of weight, etc, that has to be signed off on by a Doctor. No doctors signature, no job.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 07:54

I hope our veterans read what type of company this is, just be warned do your homework troops. If you have medical requirements on a daily basis do not bother, if you have physical limitations do not bother these giving veterans job priority are great but the initiative should be more clearly stated, giving fit veterans job priority. Oil companies do end fit from our soldier skills that's true but who wouldn't?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down