Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about ELB (earning loss benefits) - offset

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question about ELB (earning loss benefits) - offset Empty Re: Question about ELB (earning loss benefits) - offset

Post by cosmo12 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 08:28

Thanks kindly - Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Question about ELB (earning loss benefits) - offset Empty Re: Question about ELB (earning loss benefits) - offset

Post by Teentitan Thu 31 Oct 2013, 00:24

No I'm under the PA and get LTD. But to try and answer your question about how long until you get a reply to your application it is like playing the lottery...you could win on Saturday but sometimes "which" Saturday is the lottery prize.

As soon as I get a solid answer to your question from the OVO I will get it to you ASAP.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:08

Thanks teentitan, Question: Do you get ELB ? if yes how long does it take from the time your CM send the application to the Central Admin until you get an answer ? Thanks again. Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 30 Oct 2013, 12:54

still waiting for an answer.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Mon 28 Oct 2013, 18:45

no problem Teetilan,
just to let you know my serance was only for 2 years and 200 day so about 2 weeks and 4 days pay. I would imagine that it will be taking off from my ELB I had worked almost 3 weeks during the month. Keep me posted. Thanks a lot and I follow you guys on new things happening.
Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Mon 28 Oct 2013, 13:11

Cosmo I have given you the wrong answer.  Yes your severance is deductible from your ELB.  I asked my "go to" guy in the OVO.
Here is the link to the policy...

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2006-50/page-7.html#docCont

In para 22 (b) it states the deduction.

The OVO is now looking how they are going to factor your severance into a monthly conversion and how they are going to explain it to you.  He is going to need a few days as he can't find the policy so he is likely going to VAC admin, just down the street from the OVO, for the answer.

So again Cosmo sorry for the wrong answer.  My severance was not deducted from my Pension Act payments so I assumed but I only made an ass of myself.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 16:42

Well I know but that sucks a bit. Thank you all.
Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Oct 2013, 15:24

They do the same with Employment Insurance. It's because the severance is based on your total time employed and paid by weeks of employment. Ie ... 1 year equals 1 week of severance paid!

Back to top Go down

Question about ELB (earning loss benefits) - offset Empty WELL WELL - JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH VAC - SEVERANCE PAY IS OFFSETTING ELB

Post by cosmo12 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 14:49

Well they calculate that as income so when i receive it - lets say it is 7 weeks of severance pay then I will have to declare it that month and this will cut off my ELB -

How can you survive they create one benefit and it is taking off from the other hand.

Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 12:53

Thanks kindly for your help

cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:08

Yes you have to declare your severance on your yearly taxes. The amount paid will be shown on your T4 slip you get this year.

Can VAC reduce your ELB because of your severance the answer is no.

Why can't VAC use my severance to reduce my ELB? Because severance pay is a one-time payment and does not make up your earnings when you were in the military.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Wed 23 Oct 2013, 18:25

Well my english is not so good. My question was lets say my ELB is approved and I have been on it for a couple of months and lets say I receive my serance pay (4000.00 gross) from the reserve on the 25 oct. Do I have to declare it as income ?

The policy says

Employment Earnings
8.Employment earnings are income amounts a Veteran earns as salary, wages, commissions, bonuses, tips, gratuities and honoraria in the employment of another person or business. Employment earnings will always include the income reported in box 14 of the Veteran’s T4 slips.

Thanks for helping

cosmo12

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 16:26

Ok

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 23 Oct 2013, 15:34

If you are talking about SISIP monthly premiums you payed while in uniform then upon release the medically released member should get a letter from Manulife with the amount of monthly premiums he/she paid over their military career.

These premiums are tax deductible. It was a small perk written for CF members who were injured and medically released. I don't know if it is still in play but I got it back in 2000 and I put the amount under "other deductions".

As for severance it sounds like cosmo cashed out. So he has to pay taxes on it as income for 2013. VAC will not look at as annual income because it is a one time payment and it's in the regs that ELB is 75% of release salary.

To tax deduct severance you have to give the release section a RRSP number for direct deposit from CF. Once a check is cut for the person being released it's taxed at the source and counted towards your income for the year.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Oct 2013, 15:19

Teen, you sure you can deduct for tax purposes those premiums , I called Sunlife, they said no, I called Vac , they said no, I call the cf pension office, they said no

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next