Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Sunlife Medical Premiums

Go down

Sunlife Medical Premiums Empty Re: Sunlife Medical Premiums

Post by sabrelove on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 13:42

Peep, if you have to travel over 80 km to get to a dr appt, you can claim mileage, meals, parking, and hotels (no red flags). Here is the link to the CRA web site, look under "travel expenses" to get the up to date rates for your province. I have to do this every year for several appts.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/llwbl-eng.html

Its a good idea to review the list as you might find some other medical expenses that apply to you (claimed an air conditioner one year that way).

Sabrelove

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by LTD4me on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 13:33

yes peep fully claimable medical expense, not so sure about gas but i do believe you can claim so much a km.

LTD4me
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by peep on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 13:10

I guess I can put it under other medical expenses but do not want it to create a red flag.

p.s ferrets need to eat too, hamsters just take what they want Sad
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 13:01

I would think yes that  it is a claimable medical expenses Peeps. Unless it was Hamster or Ferret related  cat

Back to top Go down

Post by peep on Wed 12 Mar 2014, 12:56

How about medical transportation to a different hospital 4 hours away. We kept the receipts, gas, hotel and medical appointments. Can this be claimed anywhere?
peep
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by LTD4me on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 21:02

You can claim medical expenses paid for yourself, your spouse or common-law partner and certain related persons, total eligible medical expenses must first be reduced by 3% of your net income or $2,152, whichever is less. The tax credit is 15% of the amount remaining.

So translated, the premiums paid can be claimed as a tax deduction but ONLY in the years they were deducted. It would be great if you could deduct it all in 2013 for premiums previously not claimed in past tax return years but not so. Even though it is a tax deductible from your income, you can only claim anything above 3% of your total years income or $2152 which ever is less and then, you can only claim 15% of what ever amount you have over the $2152.
So basically you would need a lot more medical expenses (including premiums) to make it worth your while or even claimable. ie $43.76 x 12 months = $513.12 which in its self would be $1638.88 short of the $2152 deductible, so you would have to have at least $1638.88 more medical expenses just to break even, then for every $100 above the $2152 minimum amount, you could only claim $15 of it. Hope this helps explain the medical tax credit.

LTD4me
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2012-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 17:42

F-ing A winged warrior whoa

Back to top Go down

Sunlife Medical Premiums Empty Sunlife Medical Premiums

Post by Ex Member on Mon 10 Mar 2014, 11:15

Just wanted to pass on something that came to light for us this morning when working with our tax accountant. First, I had noticed that on spouses military pension January 2014 printout, it showed the dental premiums paid monthly. I contacted Sunlife medical 1800 267-6542  to inquire on the medical premiums and have come to learn that the medical premiums paid are noted on a letter for tax purposes issued by Sunlife every February. Apparently it is not automatic to be put on this mailing list for this tax letter and that the member has to request it. As it turns out, we were never added since 2007 and therefore unbeknownst to us, we were remiss in adding our medical premiums to our taxes (we did the dental as that was obvious on his military printout). We are now waiting for another letter to indicate the amounts since 2007 and in the meantime an email is also being sent to us as not to delay filing our taxes. We paid $42.76 monthly since 2007 so we are hoping we can go back as far as we can for this deduction to be added on 2013 taxes. Just in the event anyone was in our similar situation, I wanted to pass it on.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down