Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COLA AND VIP

+2
Sapper Zodiak
loggie
6 posters

Go down

COLA AND VIP Empty Re: COLA AND VIP

Post by Teentitan Wed 25 Jun 2014, 11:50

Rex the politicians were in no way duped...they were too scared to stand up and say "Did the veteran community look this over?" or "This lump sum just doesn't seem right...how does it compare to other Workman Comp systems across Canada?"

To pass a bill without one question is absolutely dereliction of duty!!!

But I will say they "thought" legislation would fix problems but it is absolutely disgusting that there is more debate over the NVC now then when it was initially passed!!

IMO if you didn't do your due diligence then shut the feck up...listen to the veteran community and veteran ombudsman...then stand the feck up to say 'yes' to ammendments!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 25 Jun 2014, 07:35

I honestly think that the politicians were duped by the bureaucrats that wrote the NVC, and that most actually thought that the legislation could be easily amended, or believed that a governing party would actually defend those parts of the NVC, that were proven to be faulty and detrimental to disabled Veterans. It does leave me to wonder though, just how many pieces of legislation are actually written by unelected officials, only to be rubber stamped by the Minister in charge of that department, before being tabled.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Tue 24 Jun 2014, 23:05

Here here.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 24 Jun 2014, 13:59

Sorry but gotta call Trudeau 2.0 out! His party brought in the NVC without the social covenant as an opener. His party brought us this NVC without doing due diligence. His party has been in charge before and knows the in's and out's of VAC.

So unless he signs a "I will resign letter" written by a lawyer with no loop holes everything out of his mouth is BS!

That also includes the NDP and CONs too!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by loggie Tue 24 Jun 2014, 12:24

Well it took a while but I finally heard back from Fantino and also the Liberals.
Bottom line is this, Fantino wrote two pages of BS AND of course did not answer the question I posed ref having the VIP increased annually by at least the cost of living.
The Liberals vowed to investigate the question but also sent along their policy outlining how veterans would be treated if elected. It reads as fols:
A Social Covenant with Canadian Veterans

WHEREAS, successive generations of Canadians have served their country honourably as members of the Canadian Armed Forces;

WHEREAS, service in the Canadian Armed Forces requires members to make a personal commitment to put their lives on the line on behalf of their fellow citizens, and to risk their lives anywhere in the world that the nation deems it appropriate that they do so;

WHEREAS, the burden associated with military service is not only borne by those in the Canadian military, but also by their families, who make untold sacrifices to help ensure the success of Canadian Armed Forces missions;

WHERAS, the Conservative government’s approach to veterans’ policy demonstrates an utter disregard for our country’s social covenant with those who serve in the military, particularly through its aggressive funding cuts to the supports and services that veterans need;

BE IT RESOLVED THAT a future Liberal government will uphold the principles of this social covenant in its defence and veterans policies, and will live up to our country’s sacred obligation to care for veterans and their families throughout their lives by allowing them to maintain a quality of life that is worthy of the sacrifices that they have made for Canada;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT a future Liberal government will introduce legislation to strengthen the New Veterans Charter to reflect this commitment.

Liberal Caucus
A whole lot of wasted time, effort and paper AND not one person can answer my simple question.
Go figure!

loggie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by turbo Mon 16 Jun 2014, 20:27

Ye s I lost my VIP when I moved to the states I was told because it is only paid while living in canada and as I an a non resident im no longer covered.

turbo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 18:22

I lost the VIP benefit because I moved outside of Canada. That is VAC's policy but no reason is given as to why it is like that. I want to get that back. Anyone in the same situation?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Apr 2014, 11:08

Loggie great post! Justin Trudeau is Prime Minister in waiting who is going to save Canada and hopefully Veterans as well!

Back to top Go down

Post by loggie Fri 11 Apr 2014, 10:28

So I asked my MP for an answer on this topic and all he did was forward it to Mr. Fantino. My question back to him was, why not just call and ask him yourself and then send me an answer. To f#@% easy right?
So then I asked Justin Trudeau's people and this was what I received:
I will forward your letter on to Frank Valeriote’s office. I know he is has been inundated with files since Mr. Karygiannis’ leaving, so hopefully you hear from them soon. We have had quite a bit of people contacting us about the VIP and the New Veterans Charter, the changes to the VIP as put forth by the Conservative government and the Conservative government’s approach to veterans’ policy, demonstrates an utter disregard for our country’s social covenant with those who serve in the military, particularly through its aggressive funding cuts to the supports and services that veterans need and deserve.

As you have waited for an answer from the government and not gotten one, I at least want you to know where the Liberals stand on this issue. The Liberal Party under Justin Trudeau will work to uphold the principles of this social covenant in defence and veterans policies, and will live up to our country’s sacred obligation to care for veterans and their families throughout their lives by allowing them to maintain a quality of life that is worthy of the sacrifices that they have made for Canada. At the recent Liberal Biennial Convention in Montreal, Liberals from across the country put forth a motion addressing this very issue - http://www.liberal.ca/56-disabled-veterans-strategy-2/ . Between these new changes and the recent VAC centre closures, the Liberal Party will remain united and committed to correcting these injustices. These men and women put their lives on the line, a dignified support program upon their return, is hardly an outrageous request.

I hope this helped to at least provide some answer to your question. Obviously I cannot speak for the motivations of the Conservatives on this issue, appreciating that the cost of living is going up, yet cutting services and closing centres, seems anathema to all of us here.

Just wanted to share.
Wishing all my fellow veterans a glorious day.

loggie
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by loggie Tue 08 Apr 2014, 13:12

I am told I am at the max which is great but why has our payment not kept up with cost of living?
I have asked my MP who is also the Deputy Speaker of the house so will post his response once I get it....if I get anything worth posting

loggie
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:47

My vip payments have changed with my needs. Cant really answer that question for you. The two payments a year are more difficult to manage though!!
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

COLA AND VIP Empty COLA AND VIP

Post by loggie Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:20

I realize this is a little off of the main topic but I thought I would ask the fol:
a. how much did our DND and medical pensions increase by this year, and
b. is it just me or has anyone else noticed that our VIP payments have not incresed in the past 3 years?

loggie
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum