Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wondering

+4
Rifleman
bigrex
Mike77
RCN-Retired
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wondering - Page 2 Empty Re: Wondering

Post by Recon031 Tue 15 Apr 2014, 08:01

Applied for DTC in 2008 & requested that it be back dated to 2002 year of  med. rel. ......... 21 days later approved due to laundry list of injuries , severe ptsd , etc..... rec'd a retro check.....$ 3978.82

2012 they asked me to re-apply , again approved for all future years

Same with CPPD , I sent the same info . , approved & back - dated 15 / 18 mths. retro ck. $ 24,575.00

Monthly CPPD continues & increases every Jan . ......with COLA

Troops if you qualify , then send all the info on your disabilities , letters from VAC showing approvals , etc.....
Letters from your Family Physician , etc...... , etc.......

And if you are Severe & Prolonged .... you will get approved

Doing this once again ........ to put some real numbers out there as an example that it works if you qualify for severe & prolonged .

For Country
Retired Army MasterSniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
Family of .......7.......get er' done
Recon031
Recon031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove Mon 14 Apr 2014, 23:56

Mike, when you apply for the DTC, for the sections that apply to your situation (walking/feeding/dressing etc), you indicate the year that you became markedly or totally restricted. Please ensure you fill in the date that this happened, not the year you filled in the form. When you are approved, CRA will re-assess your current return with the DTC. Then you send in a T1 adjustment or a letter requesting re-assessment for the previous years that you are approved for with your approval letter. My hubby was re-assessed for the previous 5 years once he was approved. The extra cash is most welcome.

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 23:45

best of luck buds.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike77 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 23:05

Well you all have given me so much to think about, I'm amazed at the knowledge on here.  I didn't realize my CPP would decrease over the years if I didn't keep contributing, I figured if I was entitled to lets say $600 a month now it would be the same at age 65, I guess that's not the case.  I am going to appeal but judging from the reasoning's for my initial denial have zero hope in getting my appeal approved so I'll need a plan.  I figure I'll take my entire bridge benefit that would have been taken away if I was approved CPPD and put it into an RRSP for 20 years then at least I'll have another source at 65.  My conditions will get worse so when SISIP wants me to try again in a couple years I will and hey, you never know.  I'll also look at applying for the DTC. Thanks again all

Mike

Mike77
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2014-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove Mon 14 Apr 2014, 22:10

Pinger
I understand that everyone situation is different, but you do have to understand what the implications of not applying for CPP are.  A 20 year old will not have much in the way of contributions where a 50 year old may have contributed for 30 years (and probably made the max CPP contributions for the last 15 to 20 of those years).  If the 50 doesn't get CPPD, or get a job that contributes to CPP for the next 15 years, when he claims CPP at 65, it won't be worth much.  Much better for the 50 year old to be approved.  Sure, there are other factors involved or affected, but if you don't apply for CPPD, it wittles away to nothing. Why wouldn't you apply for a benefit you paid into? (Even though it is a bitch to get and if you are breathing, they don't consider you disabled, but that's another rant)

Last edited by sabrelove on Mon 14 Apr 2014, 22:13; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I hate this laptop!)

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Mon 14 Apr 2014, 19:58

Mike, Sabrelove, Propat,
I don't want to make things more complicated, but everyones sit is different. Propat I generally with your emphasis on applyapplyapply I really do. A frozen rate.
But what about someone who's 50 and always contributed to CPP? As opposed to a 20 year old who hardly ever did? Much better for the 20 year old to be approved me thinks.
Is he 100% disabled, 60, or 10? Does the 50 year old have a few young dependants? Maybe the 20 year old does. What's the specific VAC and/or CF income support for the above two? How many and how pray tell could CPP have an impact on that sit? Are they still serving or not?

All I'm saying is everyones situation is specific and different. But lets nott forget what we have in.... common brothers in arms. pinger..

its my pill time cheers  lets rock the hill if you can
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 18:42

When one uses crane, No can defend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 18:15

This fact and information is very difficult to come by and in no way was it ever explained during my release with dignity exit. Thanks as always to csat members for getting the info out to us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 17:40

mike saber is correct without dependents you neither get more ore less on CPPD YOU GET THE SAME. at age 65 you will see a big difference im thinking after 20 years of non contribution and not being on CPPD to freeze your rate you will get very little CPP if ANY AT ALL. SO APPLY REAPPLY AND APPLY AGAIN!!!!!

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove Mon 14 Apr 2014, 16:45

To Mike 77. You say "I'm not seeing the advantage for me in being approved CPPD", but you are only listing what happens pre-age 65. Once you turn 65, you lose the bridge benefit from your military pension because they assume you will collect CPP. Here's the kicker...if you haven't contributed to CPP for the last 20 years because you have been unable to work, your monthly CPP payments will not be very much at all. Hugh pay cut to your military pension.

If you collect CPPD now, you lock in your rate, so when you turn 65 your payments for CPP remain basically the same.

So, yes, right now if you collect CPPD, your military pension goes down, SISIP goes down, but your CPPD should offset these reductions. Then at 65, when your SISIP is done, you will be receiving CPP at the "locked in" rate.

Hope this clarifies it a bit for you.

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Mon 14 Apr 2014, 15:24

East bound and down....loaded up and truckin...were gonna do what they say can't be done...we've got a long way to go and a short time to get there...so sit on back and watch ol bandit run!!
Sap
- just wanted to chime in...

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 15:17

Smokey and the Bandit!

Back to top Go down