Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Failure to Communicate

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Re: Failure to Communicate

Post by bigrex on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 12:24

While I do agree that everyone who is medically released should get a CF pension, at the percent they would get if they were allowed to complete their current contract, I do not agree that VAC should be abolished. If what you proposed came to fruition, that would mean that a CF member who lost two legs to an IED, would receive the same level of compensation as someone of the same rank, that developed severe diabetes or was injured in a car accident, and that would be far from a fair system.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 23 Feb 2015, 10:43

4000 employes making 40000 plus per year training costs ,building upkeep costs ,vehicles with drivers for the elite,top notch pensions. VA is a goverment make work project and should not exist... any soldier medically released from the armed forces should get a full military pension at no lower than the rank of corporal so they can keep their dignity. there would be a lot less suicides and would save tax payers millions in unnessesary expenses. and sisip is a slimy insurance company. With this present system there are some getting way to much and some getting screwed lets make it fair for everybody.Its time to demand a change in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 07:47

well I live near gagetown and I had to bad ones before the good one I have now,

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 07:01

Well I hear storys about CMs here and there but I am beginning to believe there are rather large discrepancies when we go the geographical route. I believe and truly do believe that the closer you are to the VAC HOTSPOTS i.e.
; SuperBases then I believe that due to the work overload many veterans are being attended to but not looked after if you know what I mean. District Offices are being flooded with VAC material but the staffing is minimal. Also due to word of mouth, we all know vets love to compare work and stories the extra mile offered from CM's is well less than a 1/4 mile these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 23:20

I'm really lucky too with my CM. We have some very "intense" conversations about both sides...theirs and ours.

One thing that she has said to me that is a problem is "burnout". Some CM's just can't handle the pressure of case load or they are too attached to the vets problems.

Or, and this is the scary one, the CM shuts down their empathy for their clients. We turn into another body of paperwork they want minimum contact with but push the paperwork thru.

I'd be really curious to know how many CM's have quit over the last 10 years and how many un-prepared CM's VAC had no choice to hire?
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3314
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:01

Prawnstar,

Forget FOI, was just curious of straight open access. All that I had to do was ask my CM what they where speedwriting when caught off guard. Was too much going on is all... pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 21:26

"Curious... Can we as clients have access to our CM's file about us including their notes? pinger."

I can't see why an FOI request wouldn't work. You might get an answer a few years from now with many black marks on it but you never know.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 20:56

Trooper wrote,

"I truly believe that if one feels that their CM is not doing any good
to the client, they are much better off without them,
having a bad relationship with a CM can do you more harm, than good.:"

Mines good, but I agree. Yup, under circumstances I would drop one like a hot potato. A personality conflict (understatement), a bad rapport, comes to mind.
But then where is one truly left...? With a necessary evil or being homeless?

It need not come to that. There are options, and other avenues of approach. Always should be. Methodically
Some on this site could use a better CM. Never heard of someone changing one, and how in blazes would that ever work?
What... my whole client file with "notes" attached switches cubicles to a fresher pov and face? Here's hoping.

What comes to my mind is support for blind spots, and we all have blind spots. Few friends show me mine.
Here's hoping others here have a few.

Curious... Can we as clients have access to our CM's file about us including their notes? pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 19:04

Well Teen, if the client is cut off because DVA say's they did not receive the questionnaire from the client, is in my view unfair.
I agree they should put in place and SOP that DVA makes every attempt to contact the client before any action is taken.
Taken away that benefit without the proper attempts to communicate with the client, would in my view be grounds for and appeal.
However like you say, if and SOP was in place, the client would not have to appeal, as it could have easily been resolved,
without having to appeal.
Perhaps it's to easy, who knows, before reading these post, I was always under the impression that the DVA would make
every attempt to contact the client if the questionnaire was not received by DVA
I guess we learn something new everyday.

prawnstar, glad to here you were looked after, I guess we were both lucky.

That is why I have gave my opinion to others who are not so lucky,
I truly believe that if one feels that their CM is not doing any good
to the client, they are much better off without them,
having a bad relationship with a CM can do you more harm, than good.

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 11:27

My CM in Victoria should not be working for VAC. She is the kindest caring person I have ever met. She helped me get through the whole process, PIA>ELB etc. She also helped me in times of crisis where I would phone her and she would calm me down. So many horror stories out there. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I have a pending appeal in PEI where they clawed back my ELB when when CFSA was indexed in Feb. I went 18 years with no indexing when I finally get my 38% increase they claw back my ELB. I have addressed this in a previous post. Letter went to PEI in May still no reply except they sent me the report income form which they are already deducting from my ELB. So long story short there are some excellent CMs out there they are the minority I think. I'm sure they are all told to tow the party line but some have the balls to think of us instead of their own career.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 20:48

Trooper you are right the questionnaire is sent yearly. It's only if you point out a problem your CM contacts you.

But what is the punishment for the VAC employee who just cuts the client off because the questionnaire was not done because the client is too ill/mentally fragile/did not receive the paperwork to do it?

They have complete immunity because VAC has not put a SOP in place on what to do if the questionnaire is not done.

If they care about us, as the Union President said in January, then how difficult is it for a VAC employee to make a phone call to the client and check on them?

They are so contemptuous toward vets at times that they totally forget without vets they wouldn't have a job!!!
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 20:35

Well I don't communicate all that often with DVA anymore as my need to has diminished.

I can see how one would be frustrated when the Veteran has attempted to communicate
with DVA only to be accused of not communicating with them.
Whatever happened to giving a person the benefit of the doubt.
So yes I agree, they should take a look into fixing this miss communication problem,
I can't see this being that much of a big deal to look into, and fix.
Perhaps it's to easy.

I do however know that those who receive VIP benefits are sent out a yearly questionnaire
to be filled, if they do not receive this questionnaire in a certain time frame,
they will make every attempt to reach you.

If you have pointed out any problems with respect to the questionnaire,
again they will make every attempt to reach you.
Usually it is reported to a CM, and it is the CM who will contact you.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 16:57

There is so much to be said in this line of thread.

I agree with you teen, this should not lay on the shoulders of cm's... but, look at some circumstances of approach or bias for starters. Bearing in mind cm's, applying the benefits, policies, rules, laws, and law of the land? Like a goc/dva baby cop with big stick?  Evil or Very Mad .

What I mean is maybe a vet could have many benefits but is so muddled up in his approach to vac he's denied and he's so screwed up he forgets everything. Suffers quietly. For years...shoulda coulda woulda but didn't have the family/support/info or where with all, sad. Do all cm's have scruples?

Enter vac. I don;t like to think bias or discrimination exists but it does... it's sooo invisible. Sort of like first impressions.
Here's just one blantant example (a little extreme).
Say a gal or guy goes to vac or their cm.

One is curt, clean, well mannered, and all that good stuff.
The other one is.... shall we say not?
Filthy, rude, got b.o. in rags and smells like gin .

Common sense aside, do you think vac or a cm would be non-judgemental? Hmm? Discretion?
What about a bit of understanding? Here's hoping cm's and internal people have an unbiased sense of understanding and
an iota of... compassion. Compassion where it is truly due and NOT judgemental.

Soo many mitigating circumstances I can't count.

Age, gender(?), pre-service, post, where you served, when you served, sda, what branch, what injury, 1 - 5, where, what, when, etc.etc.etc.
Pretty nebulous.

Now I'm thinking, what are the pre-requisites/academia for cm's to be hired? Or other D.O. positions. A degree... probably Sad

BTW, Trooper. Very well said what you wrote last day. I completely agree

Pre-requisites asunder, me thinks csat could be a very fine "consulting" firm  to vac teen. I did think of considerations ... in a snarky way  Twisted Evil  will let you know but in the mean time... live, love, and laugh. Life's too short. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 21:14

I don't think this lays on the shoulders of the CM it's the Rules and Regs of VAC that are on trial here.

An automatically generated letter is sent to a client without the CM's being notified. So shouldn't the rule be at VAC PEI make a phone call to the client to confirm the letter was received, is the client ok, is the client too ill to respond, is the client ALIVE!

So in my opinion VAC rules need to be reviewed. The VAC employee in PEI should not send a letter they should pick up the phone and call the client!! Not a difficult task. If PEI can't make contact with the client then get the clients CM involved.

But hey it's only a human being with God know's what kind of mental condition they are in so yeah VAC in PEI's feck it attitude really shows they care for veterans.

Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 21:01

Sorry, yes there are great out there that I have heard have done a great job for there clients, so yes my bad, mine were in London, and last one was from Windsor cause like you said, they aren't helping find/ask for some one else....

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next