Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommended changes to SISIP/ELB

Go down

Recommended changes to SISIP/ELB Empty Re: Recommended changes to SISIP/ELB

Post by bigrex Wed 10 Sep 2014, 19:23

That is true trooper, since other than those involved in the lawsuit, SISIP does not have any mechanism in the policy to be reinstated once they close your file.

And Propat, I agree about returning to a monthly pension from DVA, either under the PA, or a modified version of the NVC. But the changes I came up with would benefit ALL medically releases Veterans, not just those with a service related injury. It keeps with the mantra of One Veteran, since the stresses of having your career cut short due to injury, remain the same, regardless of the cause. If anything, they are higher for those with non service related injuries, because they will not be able to turn to VAC for any assistance.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Sep 2014, 19:00

I like the Idea of getting SISIP for the remainder of the contract, with a minimum of two years, when released Medically.

Just to add to the fact that it would alleviate worries faced to the individual,
it would also give time to see if the condition and or conditions released for, worsen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Sep 2014, 16:14

id recommend one change and one only . RETURN TO A MONTHLY PENTION!!!!

all other issues could be handled after that.

propat

Back to top Go down

Recommended changes to SISIP/ELB Empty Recommended changes to SISIP/ELB

Post by bigrex Wed 10 Sep 2014, 12:26

I was just reading the comments from the public on the Steven Ruttan story, and how he feels that he was shortchanged with his lump sum for PTSD. It was literally making me feel ill reading how little compassion many Canadians had for this man, and others suffering from PTSD, including some who identified themselves as veterans. But it got me thinking.

If the next Government considered making some substantive changes to the the income replacement programs, it would go along way towards addressing a lot of these issues. They could possibly include the following.

- If a soldier is released medically, they should be covered by SISIP for the remainder of their current contract, with a minimum of 2 years. So if they get medically released after 6 years into a 9 year contract, they collect 75% for 3 years. If they get medically released after serving 13 years of a 20 year contract, then they should be covered by SISIP for 7 years. Then once their contract time frame expires, only then do they make the determination of completely disabled or not. This would alleviate many worries that soldiers face when being discharged because of an injury or illness, giving them the proper time to prepare for life as a civilian, before benefits run out.

- The benefit should be based on a percentage of current salaries at the same trade and rank, not based on a pre-release salary, with annual indexing capped at 2%. in the past we have seen CF salaries grow substantially versus the SISIP program, causing inadequacies even amongst Veterans supposedly getting the same level of benefit. Example: soldier A released in 1994 as a Corporal, when CF salaries were much lower, and his initial SISIP benefit was $1500 before deductions. But even if the indexing maxed out at 2% for the last 20 years, which it didn't, he would now only be making roughly $2275. Soldier B released this year with the same rank and time in as Soldier A, but his SISIP benefit would be $3740. So by basing the benefit on current pay rates, they would ensure that every Corporal, every Sgt, etc, would get the same amount as everyone else of that rank, at least before deductions are made.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum