Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we have a Royal Commission?

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Should we have a Royal Commission? - Page 3 Empty Re: Should we have a Royal Commission?

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 20:24

Fantino is very popular and well liked in Toronto. Especially in his riding and Toronto has always been a liberal/NDP stronghold that Harper has always wanted. I am not sure if Harper will risk sacking Fantino because with him running in Vanghan it's a guaranteed win for conservatives. If Harper really cared about the veterans and wanted to put this to rest, he would ave fixed the whole thing, but I am thinking it might cost too much and Harper being a smart man knows that every month approx 2000 veterans are dying from old age and other causes. Within 10 years most ww2 and Korean vets will be gone so maybe Harper just doesn't believe the numbers justify the worry or expense. If Harper wanted this fixed it would be, it's not and he has no intention of fixing it.

Back to top Go down

Should we have a Royal Commission? - Page 3 Empty Re: Should we have a Royal Commission?

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 20:19

yes buds you are absolutely correct it has always been an important subject for vets and will become even more important in the years to come as more disabled afghan or post 06 vets will unfortunately find their way into the system and more important still when they hit those desperate years after their release  when the buyout money runs dry .

that is starting to happen now as time goes on the voices will get louder and angrier .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 19:51

Great exchange of post there propat.

I now fully understand what you meant - and what you were saying.

Just did not read it - or understand it the way that you just explained it.

Thanks for that, and sorry buds for miss understanding what you were saying.

It's all about getting a better understanding of what lies ahead for us with respect to what may be in the cards be it with Fantino - or no Fantino going forward into the Federal election.

Politics has always been and important subject in the minds of Veterans, as it is the politicians who power what we get - or don't get.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 18:52

ok first a post and a riding are two different animals of that we both can agree .

so when I said post I meant post not riding .

if I wanted to say riding I actually would have said riding .

what I meant by that was their is cabinet ministers in Alberta that are completely safe and loosing a cabinet post would not effect those ridings whatsoever .

I was discussing actual cabinet movements not just a shuffle probably with the intent of adding one or two posts to Ontario witch I can see happening to try and sure up shaky ridings . the resulting effect would be another province ore provinces loosing one ore two.

dropping fantino from a post altogether an Ontario MP would make this more difficult.

these positions would have to come from riding witch are considered safe or already lost.

by an AB or Ontario or BC cabinet post I mean one that is held by a MP in those specific provinces and a term commonly used while discussing cabinet assignment's and movements especially in the media.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 18:10

propat,

You may very well be correct - or I may have miss read what you have posted - but I will write the way in which I understand what you wrote.

Under this thread - post 18 - you state that " ( There is a couple of post Fantino could take over in  "ALBERTA" but dropping a "ALBERTA CABINET POST" is a place I don't think Harper will go ) "

What I am trying to say to you is that " correct me if I'm wrong " there is no such thing as dropping and Alberta Cabinet post.
When you state there is a couple of post Fantino could take over in Alberta, what do you mean by that as it relates to the subject at hand ?
The way in which I read your statement you are saying that if Fantino swaps cabinet post with the now Alberta's Cabinet minister, he now, Fantino that is, becomes and Alberta Cabinet Minister ? Again I could be miss reading your statement, and I do APOLOGIZE if that is the case. Just trying to learn here as we go.
No, Fantino would still be a cabinet minister from Ont even though he is now changed cabinet post with a cabinet minister from Alberta.
Mr. Fantino new cabinet post  -  would not be defined as a " ALBERTA CABINET POST "

To the best of my knowledge and understanding there is no such thing as a provincial cabinet post - the province in which a cabinet minister holds as a riding - or home riding - remains unchanged no matter which cabinet post he - or she - holds now - or changes cabinet post in the future.

So what I may be miss reading is your wording of " dropping a Alberta Cabinet Post "

Again, I could be off on my statement - perhaps way off - and do apologize for it - anyhow that does not change the fact that I enjoy exchanging views and thoughts with you, my respect for you is there, and will always be there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 16:48

ya got me a little confused trooper but ill post the entire sentence you quoted and maybe you can show me where I said he would take a AB RIDING as opposed to an AB post???

trooper agreed he knows what he is doing and if he can move him he will . the thing is in a close election Ontario WILL be the battleground . there is a couple of post fantino could take over in AB but dropping a AB cabinet post is a place I don't think harper will go.

ie; if fantino takes an AB cabinet post Ontario gains one cabinet post AB looses one. yup ive already said he may add one or 2 in Ontario but if you look at his fondness for AB I don't think he will do it at their expense.

will fantino win his riding ??? sure he still has some good support although it has dwindled a bit.

could he win not holding a post??? shure he could .

the thing is historically cabinet members running for re-election  have a much larger success rate than MP,s that do not hold posts .

this is why that most posts are handed out primarily with political strategy as the primary concern and choosing who can do the job best as a secondary concern. not the other way around.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Dec 2014, 15:27

propat,

I don't think I miss read, I was responding to your post above when you stated that if "Fantino was to take over in AB but dropping a AB cabinet post is a place I don't think harper will go".
In my response I was simply stating that if Fantino was to swap a cabinet post he remains in his home riding of Vaughad, so to use your example about "Fantino taking over and Alberta post", he simply would be replacing the Cabinet minister who was from Alberta, and where ever the Cabinet minister from Alberta goes he will also keep his home riding in Alberta, sure he would have a different Cabinet post, but his riding would still be in Alberta, same goes for Fantino, regardless of the change of ( CABINET POST ) both their riding's will remain unchanged.

As far as him not running at all, that will happen only if he resigns, and leaves the Conservatives caucus, in that case the Conservatives will delegate someone else to run for the riding of Vaughan.

Also as I have stated above, if Fantino resigns and stays with the conservatives as and MP he will run as and MP instead of running as a cabinet minister.

One thing to keep in mind here is regardless if he runs as a cabinet minister, MP, or even a backbencher, he is never guaranteed to win his riding of Vaughan.

As far as Harper asking Fantino not to run, if he was to kick Fantino out of caucus, he would be doing just that, not likely, but possible.

As far as him stripping Fantino of a Cabinet post within all Cabinet post, this would be done in the form of Fantino resigning his post, and like I have stated, if he continues to be and MP for the Conservative party, he will run as a Conservative MP for the riding of Vaughan in the next Federal election.

As far as you not seeing any way out for Harper, except for the ones you mentioned, propat, like I said, he has plenty of options  available to him, and nothing will stop him from doing what he sees fit for his party, even if it puts a seat in jeopardy, he may gain more seats by taken whatever action he chooses, this is politics, and like I also said, he is very good at what he does.

We just have to wait and see what action, if any, Harper does take to really have a sense - of the outcome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Dec 2014, 20:28

ya trooper not sure what you are getting at in the first part their maybe you misread something . when I said they may move him to another post or cabinet post I meant just that . if you were thinking I meant riding that is not the case as im thinking at this time Vaughan is the only ore one of two ridings he could win so doing that would probably equate to losing a seat the same as him not running at all .

this is what I have been saying all along they need him to run and they need him to run in Vaughan preferably with a cabinet post or it will be lost . harper WILL NOT ask him not to run
HELL if he decides not to he will be urged to stay. will he be striped of a post ?? not fracking likely !!!! will they move him to another post???? certainly this seems practical on its face but im sure it may have to be a major post ( maybe not )  I really don't see any out their for him except the ones I mentioned previously . like I said previously im not sure harper will go there.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Dec 2014, 17:57

propat,

If Harper moves or shuffles or swaps Fantino within the cabinet, Fantino's riding will remain in Vaughan.

Just like when they swapped Peter Mackay's cabinet post with Rob Nicholson's cabinet post, both kept their own riding.

If Fantino was to resign as cabinet minister, and if he chooses to stay on with the conservatives, he will keep his riding of Vaughan, and will now be and MP for the riding of Vaughan, just like it was before he became a cabinet minister.

If Fantino resigns and walks away from politics, his riding will be lost.

Harper doesn’t fire people for doing what their told which is why Fantino still has his job. Nor has the PM ever had a problem with sending a bricklayer to repair a Rolex. In fact, Harper has used Fantino’s tough guy ex-cop image in every one of his postings to “scare the ‘crats” internally, as one insider put it the “‘crats” being bureaucrats. Since Harper is still persuaded the public service is an enemy, Fantino performs a very useful service.

But Stephen Harper does fire people when they become liabilities. It can be one glass of orange juice too many, the embarrassing antics of a spouse or simply having worn out one’s credibility by telling too many whoppers on behalf of the boss. Fantino has reached that place where what he brings to the feast is far less than what he devours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Dec 2014, 16:48

trooper agreed he knows what he is doing and if he can move him he will . the thing is in a close election Ontario WILL be the battleground . there is a couple of post fantino could take over in AB but dropping a AB cabinet post is a place I don't think harper will go. Duncan out in BC minister of state maybe could be dropped . just thinking out loud here mind you . the way this election is shaping up I wouldn't expect a whole lot of cabinet moves . and when they make the few moves they make don't expect Ontario who has as many positions as alberta BC and Quebec combined to lose ANY in fact they may add one or two .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Dec 2014, 15:27

propat,

That may very well turn out to be the case.

All I can say is don't under estimate Harper's ability to move, change, shuffle, or for a lack of better words force any Cabinet Minister out at any time he sees fit.

We are not dealing with a spring chicken here, Harper is extremely good in how he handles situations like this.

I don't think Harper is known to fold under pressure, that is why he waited until xmas break, I can guarantee you this very issue is being discussed now, and has been discussed prior to the xmas break.
Why do you think Fantino was nowhere to be found in the last Week of sitting.

Wait for it, that's what I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Dec 2014, 19:19

trooper nationally the cons performance on the vets issue will have an effect on the election and if its a close one it will have a large effect in certain ridings . fantinos performance will not have that effect outside of his own riding . since keeping him in place would cost them nothing and keep them from losing one seat im all but certain he will be running this year with a cabinet position and since I can see no one else they can shuffle ( right now ) it will probably be in his current position.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Dec 2014, 18:38

propat,

You make some good points and of course nothing can be taken off the table with respect to Fantino.
However, looking at it from a past history performance of Fantino, and the conservatives moving forward into an election, Harper will do what's best for the Conservatives, even if that means moving Fantino out of the Veterans portfolio.

With the aftermath of the AG's report, which gave the opposition parties a field day against Fantino, which landed on the laps of the Conservatives in general.
This among other things has given reasons for Harper to be concerned.
Fantino being in Italy when the AG's report came out did not help matters either.
Right now Harper knows full well that he has to act on this, and act quickly.
Harper will without any doubt move him if it suits him, no riding or seat will get in Harper's way in him doing what he sees fit for his party.

One other point I would like to bring up, and it has to do with the election itself.
The Federal election is scheduled for Oct, 19, 2015.
This is the fixed date of the election, however, we cannot discount the fact that the Conservatives could call an election before this fixed date.
This early election possibility is a card that can be played if for whatever reason they see fit to give them the upper hand, and some have already pointed to this as a real possibility.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Dec 2014, 17:19

thing is teen its looking like a very close election with every vote and seat will matter . fantino with a cabinet post will jn all likelihood win hi riding . even without a post he is still there best shot . without him im pretty sure that riding would be lost to them . so for these reasons the cons would really want to keep him and preferably with a post.

sure I do believe he was looking at other political aspirations but given the heat he has been under im thinking that they are no longer possible for him to peruse at this time .

yup he could leave for the private sector but that would be against harpers pleas for him to stay.

so im thinking he will stay with a cabinet post and looking at the totem board it will be the same post he has unless someone elce steps on their own thing or pees in harpers cornflakes .

after the election IF the cons win he WILL move faster than poop thru a goose.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 13 Dec 2014, 16:18

Fantino would not be the first member of cabinet to fall on the sword by making an announcement during the Christmas break that he has informed the PM he will not be seeking re-election.

This would be when he's replaced, probably with Erin O'Toole (ret'd CF) and the Cons move forward.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next