Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment

5 posters

Go down

Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment Empty Re: Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment

Post by Teentitan Mon 30 Mar 2015, 18:45

OK thanks for posting this K9 but I am going to lock this thread down as there is a thread with the backgrounder and more info called the Critical Injury Benefit CIB.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment Empty Re: Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 17:53

bigrex I see your point on this but I just took a quick look for some info so take this with a grain of salt but I really couldn't find any benchmarks set by the courts for partial disability ( again I could be wrong ) seen some different numbers for different injuries or in different provinces.

seen a lot of people using the BCs court ruling as a benchmark but I think that seems to be for totally disabled . yes the partially disabled are getting less for than the buyout than a civilian would in a settlement but what are the different benchmarks ore presidents if any??

I agree with your 80% - 100% scenario but I think its to kill one of the lawsuit arguments but they seem to want to do this the cheapest way possible.

just my opinion

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 15:59

Thanks Rex.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 30 Mar 2015, 15:57

I guess it was pushed back to 1645 EST.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 15:51

Does anyone know what time this announcement is coming ?

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 30 Mar 2015, 15:22

I wonder how they will determine eligibility. Like people have said, we have seriously disabled Veterans who fall under both the PA and the NVC, but I fear that only those who have received 80% to 100% under the NVC will be eligible. The problem is, the lump sums awarded at the lower rates are also below the amounts given to civilians for similar injuries, so the only fair thing to do is to provide everyone who has received a lump sum award, with a top up, maxed out at $70000.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Mon 30 Mar 2015, 15:12

AGREE!!!!!!

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Recon031 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 14:52

.......SERIOUSLY !

This should be applied to " ALL Seriously Disabled " Veterans either OLD PENSION , or ,, NVC ..... 100 % is 100 % .... NEW OR OLD !

IF NOT ........ Another " CLASS ACTION " Here We Go Again !

For Country
Retired Army MasterSniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
Family of .......7....... Get er' Done Bye's !
Recon031
Recon031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 13:39

The Government is just using this as a PR stunt to make them look good. To the general public $70 000 sounds like an awesome deal for a wounded NVC soldier and is a thumbs up towards liking the Government. But I beleive this is all smoke and mirrors as only a few soldiers may benefit from this. And how much paperwork and headaches will we have to endure to apply for it just to be denied? I have a feeling this $70 000 will not apply to those on the old Charter.

PR stunt. Period.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Mar 2015, 11:05

I do not get this K9, is it only for the new vet programme or is the old monthly program in for this amount? Is it only for the 100% guys, what do they base the amount on?

Back to top Go down

Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment Empty Seriously injured soldiers would get up to $70,000 from new payment

Post by K9 Sun 29 Mar 2015, 16:48

Finaly, a step in the right direction,
Just out today.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/seriously-injured-soldiers-would-get-up-to-70-000-from-new-payment-1.3014197

CBC News has learned the Conservative government will announce legislation Monday that will create a new payment worth up to $70,000 for soldiers who have been seriously injured in the service of their country.

The new benefit will apply only to the most seriously wounded soldiers, but will also be applied retroactively.

This change is yet another action taken by the government in recent weeks to improve the suite of benefits available to Canadian veterans.

Erin O'Toole, veterans affairs minister, moves to address complaints
Paul Franklin, veteran and amputee, fears 'degrading' paperwork may never end
Erin O'Toole, Jason Kenney say reservists will get same benefits as regular force
New Veterans Affairs Minister Erin O'Toole, who took over from Julian Fantino in January, has travelled the country promising veteran amputees they won't have to verify lost limbs, expanding benefits for reservists and grants for "informal caregivers" of injured veterans to hire help.

However, neither the new award nor any of the other changes address the key complaint of veterans: the loss of monthly pensions as a benefit for all wounded vets under the New Veterans Charter introduced in 2006.

The official government notice paper dated Friday said O'Toole will announce “An Act to amend the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act.”

Share this story
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down