Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PIA

+23
RCN-Retired
cosmo12
czerv
prawnstar
BinRat
K9
Nemo
Pipes
Kramer
rucksack031
Mike77
Rifleman
johnny211
Wife of a Veteran
Teentitan
Dannypaj
Sapper Zodiak
ceedee
1993firebird
pinger
bigrex
rigger/fitter
27 posters

Page 2 of 48 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25 ... 48  Next

Go down

PIA - Page 2 Empty Re: PIA

Post by 1993firebird Mon 19 Sep 2016, 15:42

I am eligible ELB as well and must fill out the income form for the 15% increase so not sure to report PIA and PIA /S or not as income.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Mon 19 Sep 2016, 15:35

Holly frack I was told by vac it was not WOW !!!

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Mon 19 Sep 2016, 15:27

I just received an answer from VAC to my question is PIA and PIA/S consider income for ELB and the answer will shock most on here.

Dear Mr. Trzop,

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure E-mail services.

Your PIA and PIA supplement are considered as income for the
purposes of your Earnings Loss application.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number 1-866-522-2122.

Sincerely,

Mike Franceschini
Inquiries Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada

What to do about this because if it is considered income for ELB then it might be considered income for LTD as well which I am currently receiving and never reported PIA and PIA/S as income.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 13 Aug 2016, 12:47

Here's the TPI Policy Document some may find informative...

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1971

Cheers
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2016, 19:39

I can't say for certain, but I suspect VAC makes people go through the Freedom of Information Act because they know the 750,000 vets in Canada would be all over them for immediate access to our files.

Good luck vet1234 and don't hesitate to ask for assistance, if I can help you I will. You can always "private message" me if you prefer to keep your information out of the limelight.

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 12 Aug 2016, 19:18

I'll ask again for the change. I was ready to give up.
It'd be nice to see the details for the denial, access to information seems a little extreme when it's my own application... maybe I'm overreacting.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2016, 18:48

Vet1234

I was made aware of what documents were used to decide my PIA decision when I received the approval letter in the mail. It was actually quite detailed, unlike anything I've seen from VAC before. I was surprised.

Don't be afraid to ask for a new CM it's your right. Not all case managers are effective and understand the needs of Veterans they serve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 12 Aug 2016, 18:30

Ohhh and now the person who told me not to apply for PIA, is the one responsible for my TPI designation. I told the team manager I wanted to switch CMs and guarantee my CM wasn't happy about it.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 12 Aug 2016, 18:27

I get anxiety just walking into a a VAC office! I have no idea what was included in my PIA application... how did you find out what documents were used? When I asked to find out what was on my application, the 1-800 call center said I needed to make an access to information request. I wasn't involved in the process except for a nurses visit(interview). I recently asked to switch CMs and the local CM team manager suggested I have a meeting with him and my CM after my new Psych evaluation.... Hmmmm if I have issues trusting my CM, the last thing I want is to discuss my case with my CM! Some people just don't get the rightful distrust vets have for the system and it's representatives. Drives me nuts.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:55

Vet1234 - That is my story also. My CM was way over worked and disorganized at the time. I did not know smick about PIA when I signed up for Voc Rehab, and my cm did not bother to tell me jack. Close to the 2 yr mark, I heard buddys talking of it, and went into Svc Canada and applied. Even after being told by pscy/dr's that I was too fracked to work, and should be TPI'd, my CM said to me "oh if you end up getting CPPD, then I can use this as justification for your TPI. Does that sound backwards or what.. So i applied and got CPPD in 4 mths, called CM up, and then she made me TPI. What a circle of gov redtape. If not for alot of comrades on here, I would have been in the woods with the ruck and my dog..VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:35

Vet1234

My CM told me in 2012 that I wouldn't qualify for PIA, so I just said screw it.  However, in January of this year I decided to apply anyway.  I was approved almost 4 months to the date of my application for PIA 3 and according to the paperwork from VAC they went all the way from 2009 to 2015 using reports from my psychologist,  reports from my CM and client notes among other things to approve my application.

I have not as of yet been deemed TPI.  I haven't applied/sought the designation.  I finished VocRehab in December 2014 after being on ELB since December 2008 and have been on CFIS since June 2015.  I've applied to over 100 jobs since June 2015 but no offers. Before that from December 2014 to May 2015 I was volunteering with local NGO's in Kenya and then Nepal.  I was in country in Nepal during the catastrophic earthquake of April 25, 2015 and was evacuated to India by the Canadian Air Force 5 days later.  Needless to say my PTSD symptoms from my Army service were exacerbated by my experience in Nepal.

The most recent document that was used to determine my approved application for PIA was a document that stated almost exactly what I wrote above, that my psychologist wrote to VAC.  This document also was a determining factor in my approval for medical cannabis.

I hope this info helps you and others.  It's rather a lot of personal info, but if it helps I'm ok with that.

bruce72

Omnia mea mecum porto

Last edited by bruce72 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:49; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected dates and spelling and grammar)

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 12 Aug 2016, 15:14

vet1234 wrote...

"Curious if anyone's CM didn't tell them about . . ." ?

Never ever assume jack shyte vet1234.
I was once in your soup.
Some really good cm's out there. A few bad. Mine gave me the paperwork in person for tpi, e/elb, pia. Was pro-active good.

Bottom line though, be your own best advocate as much as possible.
Never EVER forget that... It served me quite well...

Last edited by pinger on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 15:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : memory)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 12 Aug 2016, 14:44

Curious if anyone's CM didn't tell them about PIA or help them apply for it when they applied for VOC Rehab?
I started VOC Rehab a few years ago and applied for PIA last December, denied in March.
Reason for denial was "No current (within 2 years) evidence, such as a psychiatric/psychological assessment to establish that your condition meets our criteria for a severe and permanent psychiatric condition"
The assessment that I got prior to VocRehab said "client unlikely to achieve suitable gainful employment due to permanent psychological impairment"
No one ever mentioned PIA or EELB, they only said I'm eligible for Voc Rehab...
I had to have my psych say that schooling could possibly help with societal reintegration in order to get Voc Rehab approved.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 05 Aug 2016, 08:57

Sapper, while your paperwork is collecting dust in the doctors office refer back to pg. 36 - 37 of this topic esp. 6608.
As nice as my cm is, she didn't mention an O/T report req'd for my pia app... rex did.
So find out what else could be req'd and cover all the bases.
ALSO, if you got older medical reports say 5 years old even if indirectly related to your tpi app. send a copy(s) of that along as well.
Even if they already have it for something else.
Jog their memory.

And at the end of the day, don't be collecting VAC dust bunnies albino . Register mail it to Matane or wherever they tell you.

Just 2 cents
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 04 Aug 2016, 12:23

Ok, I stand corrected. When I had originally read the budget bill, that part had not been included, or at least I did not see it.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 48 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25 ... 48  Next

Permissions in this forum: