Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results

4 posters

Go down

Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results Empty Re: Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results

Post by Sapper Zodiak Tue 19 May 2015, 18:29

Thanks Teen...meeting my new CM on the 27th. First home visit on the island. Setting up the rehab etc for me. I will let her know what I intend.
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results Empty Re: Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results

Post by Teentitan Tue 19 May 2015, 09:30

Sapper if you decide to go the private way please check with VAC first. If they don't approve it could cause problems down the road for you when it comes to pension help for daily living aids. Better to be safe then sorry
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak Tue 19 May 2015, 02:30

Thanks for the inspiring note. I have horrendous wait times in BC. 12 months for another MRI. 18 months for surgery on top of that. Herniated L3-4 L4-5 with disc bulges. Walking with a cane now. Not covered by VAC, although the problems started after a scapular fusion surgery. Scapula was fused to thoracic vertebrae with heavy dacron cord, which put my back out of alignment and caused herniations in lumbar spine. Appealed. Lost. Screwed. Considering cashing what money I have left and getting a private clinic. The wait will most probably drive me mad. The saga continues...
Thanks again for the note. Good luck with physio and your rehab.
Sapper Dave

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by K9 Tue 19 May 2015, 01:09

Hello Sapper and Pinger,
I had a Fusion lower back last June after 9 months in bed.
This was a second surgery in the lower back.
Most of the pain is gone, started physio in december twice a week and still on it.
The thing is that I have a really long way to go.
They took out my disk and that solved a big part of the problem.

Scince I had a laminectomy before, I had problems with the stability of the back. First neurosurgeon didn't want to do a fusion. So it took 2 years and I had a disk that was out of is way pushing on my nerves wich put me to bed for 9 months with heavy narcotics.
Had so much that it got me to the emergency with a big reaction to morphine. Result- no more morphine for me.
So each problems are different, but in the end is always can you live the way you are or not. The answer is there.
With a fusion, the vertebras over and under the fusion will work more and age faster.
It is my respinsability to give them a break and stop doing things that isn't good for it. Easy to say but no choice.
I am very restricted since I still have problems with my nerves in lower back and legs. At least most of the heavy pain is gone.
As I said everyone is different, but I had no choice to have the fusion and disk taken away and I have no regrets.
I had a neurosurgeon do the op, read about him on ratemd and felt in good hand. Went to the Hospital that takes all trauma accidents in Montreal. Choose your Dr.
If you nead more, PM me.
Pat.
K9
K9
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 03 May 2015, 19:50

Bearing in mind everyones spine and/or situation is different I'd like to hear feedback too.
Especially the mileage one gets from fusion vs. disc replacements vs. age etc. etc. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results Empty Spinal Fusion Surgery: Who's had it and results

Post by Sapper Zodiak Sun 03 May 2015, 19:00

Good afternoon gang. Just wondering if any vets out there have had a spinal fusion for degenerative disc disease? I have been getting worse since diagnosis in 1996 and I find myself hobbling everywhere now. I am only 46 , but have had this problem for about 19+ years, following a thoracic/scapular fusion surgery. Tired of the intense pressure and pain. Please advise if anyone has had back surgery and the results. Thanks for your time.
Sapper

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down