Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

National Association of Federal Retirees

+3
bigrex
Teentitan
Kramer
7 posters

Go down

National Association of Federal Retirees Empty Re: National Association of Federal Retirees

Post by Dove96 Sun 30 Aug 2015, 12:10

We did some research after receiving the last pamphlet and decided to join.
I admit it helps the discounts offered will pay for the membership within the year.

Last edited by Dove96 on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 12:18; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Dove96
Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

National Association of Federal Retirees Empty Re: National Association of Federal Retirees

Post by birdgunner Tue 18 Aug 2015, 14:32

I too have been a member since release....I joined at the same time I enrolled in the dental plan so my teeth/gums stay as healthy as possible.

Besides that I also got a shiny magazine and a wallet size membership card...just waiting for them to issue the decoder ring!!

birdgunner
birdgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-10

http://jets.nhl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Aug 2015, 14:21

Thanks for that nemo , I really wasn't up to speed on these guy's , but with the info you have provided I now have a better understanding of what they stand for , and what they have done for us an continue to do for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Mon 17 Aug 2015, 21:15

If you get a pension, this group has your address.  I have been a member since I got out 20 years ago.  It is up to an individual whether you think it is worth paying them.  Despite them losing against the government in regards to the billions the feds took from our pension fund, they put a lot of effort into it.  It is because of this group that we have PSDP - the dental plan.  When the feds decided many years ago that they could cut costs by stopping the indexing our pensions, this organization made so much fuss about it, that it did not happen. So for myself personally, I am willing to pay a few dollars a year for people to actively fight the feds on what they might do negatively to my pension or benefits.

Last edited by nemo on Tue 18 Aug 2015, 15:40; edited 1 time in total
Nemo
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:49

Alright then teen , thanks , did not realize they were part of our cf pension.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:35

Technically there is no law broken here trooper. The CF pension is part of this "association" so it's not really an outside source.

What is surprising is getting this letter in the summer. Usually it only arrives in your yearly pension statement.

The only reason I can see why they are trying to get money is they are gearing up for a fight with the government over PSAC's loss of sick days. The GoC wants them to use the STD plan instead of giving them 2/3 days a month of 'bankable' sick leave. They are also going to lose other benefits as well, just can't remember them.

It's going to be a gong show because back in the day when the Public Sector (including military) were underpaid the GoC would give out "benefits" that were not given to the Private Sector employees.

Well now that the Public Sector has caught up and passed most of the Private Sector jobs in the pay scale the GoC wants to claw back benefits.

Surprisingly these bankable benefits, like sick leave, have started to bite them in the ass. I know that some Public Sector employees are taking upwards of 3/4 months off by cashing in their sick leave.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:25

Just got mine in my mail , not impressed with the Idea of someone giving my address out to these people - or anyone for that matter , there's got to be some privacy issues here.

Every organization that I'm apart of which includes all of my pensions are very adamant in saying - or at least they always tell me, an I do ask them, that " NO INFORMATION IS TO BE SHARED TO ANY OUTSIDE SOURCES "

So my question continues to be , who gave these people our addresses ?

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 13 Aug 2015, 21:10

" There are not many who look after our/my best interests. "

That is why we should help one another, wherever we find ourselves...
And more so than the aforementioned bologna letter.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramer Thu 13 Aug 2015, 19:56

There are not many who look after our/my best interests.

I retired from the military back in 2000. Why send me this now? Odd that after all these years I have never heard or remember hearing of them is all. That is a lot of money in memberships....to "try". There are no guarantees or even proof.

Thanks for the info trooper and everyone for your input.

Riddick
Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 13 Aug 2015, 19:42

Honestly, this group is going to advocate for pensioners anyways. So why would I really need to shell out my money to them. It's not they are going to fight to protect the pensions, but only for their membership. And the same goes for any changes that they may help affect. pensioners will benefit across the board, not only those who pay for a membership. So if they want my money, I had better get something in return, and not just advocacy work that I would be otherwise be getting for free.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Aug 2015, 18:37

I did not receive a letter but I found a little info on it ;

Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security calls for pension protection
Ottawa, ON (August 4, 2015) - Today, the Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security - comprised of 22 organizations and representing nearly six million working and retired Canadians - announced its campaign to push for legislation to protect the earned pension benefits of publicand private sector employees and retirees.

“The Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security believes a promise is a promise,” says Coalition spokesperson Jean-Guy Soulière. “A deal is a deal – governments and employers should not be allowed to go back on the promises and commitments made to millions of Canadians, including veterans, police and other loyal public servants when they were working.”

The campaign is being launched in response to the federal government’s plans to introduce target benefit or shared risk pension plans to Crown corporations and federally-regulated employers. Target benefit or shared risk plans provide a base monthly pension at retirement with limited or conditional indexation – all of which may be subject to change based on the plan’s financial performance. This is not what retirees were promised.

“Pensions are deferred compensation which employees pay for while working, and which an employer agrees to pay its employees upon retirement in return for the services rendered by those employees,” adds Soulière.

The Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security believes that no employer, in either the public or private sector, should be allowed to change the compensation promised to people once they have retired. Together, the Coalition is calling on Canada’s next federal government to take steps, including legislation, to protect Canadians from this threat to retirement security.

The Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security knows that Canadians stand firm in their belief in honouring pension promises. In June 2014, Ipsos Reid found that while a substantial proportion of Canadians (44%) recognize the difficulty employers may have in providing pensions for their employees and pensioners, many more — more than nine in ten Canadians (94%) – agree that employers should live up to the commitments they have made to pensioners and employees. And Canadians are clear that they expect their governments to make sure this happens: 92% agree that in developing any new pension framework, governments should ensure that employers honour the commitments made to pensioners and employees.

The Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security is comprised of 22 organizations, associations, veterans groups, unions, and seniors groups that share a common vision – that public and private sector employers must honour existing pension commitments to pensioners, veterans, and employees.

Aboriginal Veterans Autochtones
Air Canada Pionairs
Armed Forces Pensioners’/AnnuitantsAssociation of Canada
Bell Pensioners’ Group
CanadianAssociation of Retired Teachers
Canadian Association of Veterans inUnited Nations Peacekeeping
Canadian Federation of Pensioners
Canadian Labour Congress
Canadian Merchant Service Guild
Canadian Naval Air Group
CanadianPeacekeeping Veterans Association
Canadian Union of Postal Workers
CBC Pensioners National Association
Congress of Union Retirees of Canada
Council of Senior Citizens’ Organizationsof British Columbia
Maritime Aviation Veterans’ Association
National Association of Federal Retirees
National Pensioners Federation
Newfoundland Coalition of Pensioners,Retirees and Seniors Organizations
Public Service Alliance of Canada
RCMP Veterans’ Association
The Professional Institute of the PublicService of Canada
For more information please contact:
Sayward Montague
Chair, Canadian Coalition for Retirement Security Steering Committee
smontague@fsna.com
(613) 404-4554

http://www.fsna.com/blog/2015/08/canadian-coalition-for-retirement-security-calls-for-pension-protection/

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 13 Aug 2015, 18:32

Is this the one we usually get in our yearly pension statement?

If it is then they need the money to make more of those lobsided ads on tv, radio and press.

Not to mention this is the group that let the Liberals in the 90's to rob our pension plan for the tune of $9 Billion to balance the budget.

They went to court and lost so just how efficient is this so called pension protection group????
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Aug 2015, 18:26

yup got one as well .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Aug 2015, 18:10

The question I would be asking is how did they get your mailing address ???

Back to top Go down

National Association of Federal Retirees Empty National Association of Federal Retirees

Post by Kramer Thu 13 Aug 2015, 18:06

Anyone hear of this group (association)?

Just got a letter in the mail asking me to join. They claim they are the "largest advocacy group for federal retirees"? Never heard of them before. They want $38.28 for a single membership and 49.48 for couples per year.

When one becomes a member they help:

- Protect your pension, health and dental benefits;
- Oppose any action detrimental to your rights as a federal pensioner; and
- Improve government policies and make retirement better for all Canadians.

They also claim there are 185,000 strong.........at say $38.28 a year....that makes $7,081,000.00!!!! Holy crap Batman that is a sh** load of money......what do they do with all that........

Frankly......bad vibs....sounds like a scam..... any input? Not that I am contemplating to donate to their cause.

Riddick

Kramer
Kramer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down