Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership

3 posters

Go down

Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership Empty Re: Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership

Post by Rifleman Tue 09 Aug 2016, 16:59

As I said before just another tool in the tool box

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership Empty Re: Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership

Post by pinger Tue 09 Aug 2016, 15:58

Interesting. Erin O'toole as an Air Force officer (veteran) come corporate lawyer. Suffice to say baggage can and does develop...
"In recent weeks, he's been on the receiving end of calls making the case he should run"

Me thinks fantino could give him pointers? Smile
I really wonder what he's doing these days?

Heck I'm still so very happy harper is GONE even if the Cons come back with a majority someday.

But as the bottom of that article touches upon Trooper, a fish rots from the head down.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership Empty Former veterans affairs minister O'Toole considering run for Tory leadership

Post by Guest Tue 09 Aug 2016, 10:47

Former veterans affairs minister O'Toole considering run for Tory leadership.

August 8, 2016

OTTAWA - This past spring, Conservative MP Erin O'Toole said that while he had no immediate plans to run for leadership of his party, he might pick up the phone should duty call.

For the past two weeks, that phone has been ringing off the hook, say sources close to the former veterans affairs minister.

As the Conservative party prepares for its first set of leadership debates this fall, some stalwarts are complaining that the candidates so far carry too much history and are casting around for a fresher face.

Many are looking at O'Toole.

In recent weeks, he's been on the receiving end of calls making the case he should run, and offering support and money if he does, say sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because he hasn't made a public announcement.

Reached Monday, O'Toole would not comment, but did not deny he is considering a bid.

It wouldn't be the first time he's been called for political duty.

The former air force captain turned corporate lawyer was first elected to represent the Ontario riding of Durham in a 2012 byelection, after he stepped in to replace former cabinet minister Bev Oda, ousted in an expense scandal.

"Unlike the names out there now, Erin is unblemished," said one longtime party operative who didn't want to be publicly associated with a particular candidate.

"All of the other declared and undeclared contestants have various amounts of baggage — some have made massive blunders and showed horribly bad judgement — Erin doesn't have any of that baggage."

In 2015, O'Toole took over at Veterans Affairs after years of growing tension between veterans and the Tories. Under his watch, some of that tension vanished, and he quickly became one of Stephen Harper's trusted lieutenants.

O'Toole, 43, did seek the interim leadership of the party after last fall's federal election, saying he wanted to show the party was serious about rebuilding, but lost out to Rona Ambrose.

In March, he was asked by Global's Tom Clark whether he'd say no if a group of people asked him to run.

"I wouldn't (say no) if I thought I could help the cause," he said at the time.

Some of the current candidates have courted their share of controversy.

Maxime Bernier resigned from his job as foreign affairs minister in 2008 after leaving a briefcase of sensitive documents at a girlfriend's house.

Michael Chong quit as intergovernmental affairs minister in 2006 because he disagreed with the government's motion on recognizing Quebec as a nation inside a united Canada.

Tony Clement was pilloried as industry minister in 2010 for money spent on G8

http://www.timescolonist.com/former-veterans-affairs-minister-o-toole-considering-run-for-tory-leadership-1.2318388

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Oct 2015, 18:05

O'Toole an his Conservative friends have lots of time to re-group , 4 full years of it.

I think how well JT performs in the next 4 years will determine if the Conservatives have a chance to make a come back.

I hope JT proves to be true to his values an obligations of his platform given to the Country during his campaign promises.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Oct 2015, 17:22

ya buds john walsh I think is the guy but he is not elected so they have to elect an interim leader so they can go ahead and elect a permanent one lol.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 26 Oct 2015, 14:35

Didn't the Tories have a deputy leader? kind of like the vice president, so that there would be a distinct chain of command in times of crisis? Harper should man up, and do the job until the party can find a full time replacement. One thing that I will be looking forward to is, seeing Harper as a member of a committee, and having to listen to a Liberal Chair. After all, being a member of a committee, or several, is mandatory for every opposition MP, unless they are the leader, or other key position, like party whip.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:18

kind of like to see this happen . yup he was a bobble head just like every other harper cabinet minister just a pile of bobble heads that nodded profusely every time the PM flicked his finger to the back of their heads . the thing is without harper flicking away at the back of his head I think he could be a really decent guy and set a more moderate and inclusive tone for the party before the next leader for their party is elected leading to them maybe electing a leader that realises those things on the side of his head are for more than just holding his glasses in place .

JMO

propat

Back to top Go down

Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership Empty Former cabinet minister Erin O'Toole eyes Conservative interim leadership

Post by Guest Mon 26 Oct 2015, 10:54

OTTAWA - Conservative MP and former veteran affairs minister Erin O'Toole will run for the party's interim leadership.
O'Toole is a former Air Force captain and lawyer who represents the Ontario riding of Durham.
Longtime MPs Diane Finley and Rob Nicholson have also said they intend to run.

The date of the party's next caucus meeting has yet to be set, and so the details around the interim leadership vote are still unclear -- including whether senators will be able to cast ballots.
O'Toole, 42, would represent the new guard of the party, having only entered politics in 2012 during a byelection vote.
The role of interim leader of the official opposition brings with it a salary bump of $80,000, a car and driver, and lodging at the official residence at Stornoway.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/former-cabinet-minister-erin-o-toole-eyes-conservative-interim-leadership-1.2627580

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum