Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Quess/Choice for the new VA minister and MND?

+4
Rifleman
bigrex
johnny211
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Your Quess/Choice for the new VA minister and MND? - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Quess/Choice for the new VA minister and MND?

Post by Dannypaj Wed 04 Nov 2015, 15:48

Shooting victim builds new life
Published: June 12, 2004 | Source: calgarysun.com
Spinal cord injury didn’t stop Kent Hehr
There it was in the middle of his face, itching. And it would take Kent Hehr some six months to do what he had done millions of times before — reach up and give his nose a scratch. Relearning simple tasks and how to live a new life was all about baby steps, hard work, confronting fear and moving on.
It was a process the Calgarian was thrust into after a bullet in a drive-by shooting hit his neck and left him a quadriplegic 13 years ago.
Hehr wasn’t in hospital long when he realized fighting fate wasn’t a battle to be won.
Instead, he focused on striving for a future forever changed by a single moment when a stranger’s actions put a bullet in his flesh and ripped apart life as he knew it.
“The doctor was pretty clear on the prognosis and didn’t offer any illusions,” Hehr says matter-of-factly.
“I knew she wasn’t lying and reality set in immediately.
“Then they are trying to get you ready to survive in the big, bad world out there.
“They call it Rehabilitation but it’s learning how to live with a spinal cord injury and setting up a game plan.”
Unable to do anything about the past, Hehr knew he could have a say in his future.
“You know you are not going to walk but what the hell are you are going to do with your life,” he recalls of those early dark days.
“You go through some major conundrums, you’ve spent 21 years of your life living in a certain way and define yourself, as an athlete, working a certain job — you are no longer Kent-the-athlete or Kent-the-Safeway-employee … I no longer had an identity.”
Initially, he says, there was a futile bid to cling to “remnants” of who he once was — a college football player planning to be a teacher.
“But you are not involved in the hockey game next week and are left a little on the outside looking in — that’s until you get out and involved in life, again,” he says.
Today, the 34-year-old works as a junior lawyer at a downtown law firm and counts his blessings.
The pivotal point in Hehr’s soul searching may have been returning to school 11 months after his injury.
“It’s a difficult balance between asking for help and being independent, but you have to learn to ask for certain things,” like letting a stranger pull his wallet out of his wheelchair so he can buy a coffee, “and you find people don’t mind helping.”

“Now I’m almost a pain in the ass,” he adds.
YOU BETTER BE JUST AS MUCH AS A PAIN IN THE ASS AND FIX OUR FILE, THANKS!

His memories of that Oct. 5, 1991, night are blurry and time has made recollection worse, but Hehr has never seen the sense in dwelling on that devastating moment.

He was on his way home after a night out with friends and words were exchanged with a stranger in another car.

Hehr, the passenger, remembers thinking two things — no one carries a gun in Calgary and that’s got to be a water-gun.

He was wrong on both counts.

“Hey, a pretty bad thing happened to me, don’t get me wrong, life gets complicated and I’ll probably make a mountain out of the next molehill,” he says.

“But that spinal cord injury happened 13 years ago and it’s almost a distant memory now.”

Martin Malaska, 22, the driver of the car from which the shot was fired was convicted of criminal negligence causing harm and given three years in prison after a witness in his car came forward a year after the drive-by.

His passenger got six months for pointing a firearm.

“I hoped the sentence would be more severe but any victim of any crime knows it doesn’t make it better or change anything,” Hehr says.

The courts never really figured out what exactly happened or who did what but Hehr says it doesn’t matter as much as making a decision to move on.

“There’s no doubt they changed my life, and if I had an option I wouldn’t be on this road, but I’m very happy with my life,” he says, cognizant some disabled people can’t access some of the basics, like affordable housing, transportation and job opportunities, needed to build a good life despite an injury.
“I don’t think a disabled person should be a firefighter but there are certain places where individuals with disabilities could work where they are not working,” he says, sitting in a sunny office overlooking the city at the Fraser Milner Casgrain law office.
Hehr loves being a lawyer but hasn’t ruled out politics later.
“Without a doubt, these past 13 years have been fabulous,” he says quick to point out that bullet could have put an end to his life.
“I’ve been alive, life ain’t over.”
By NADIA MOHARIB, CALGARY SUN
- See more at: http://www.spinalcordinjuryzone.com/news/3298/shooting-victim-builds-new-life#sthash.IKgbZkta.dpuf
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Your Quess/Choice for the new VA minister and MND? - Page 2 Empty Re: Your Quess/Choice for the new VA minister and MND?

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 15:26

yup for sure danny but if he accomplishes what was promised and get to work on the other issues him and JT will be treated like lesser gods by most of the military/vet community .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 04 Nov 2015, 15:00

Hehr faces big challenges in his new job, according to Mount Royal University policy studies professor Duane Bratt.
"Veterans affairs has always been a land mine, as it were," he said. "Julian Fantino handled it horribly."
Already?
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 15:00

im good with a lawyer right off the hop anyway . this may be just for the short term who knows but the thing is what needs to be done is clear has been for a decade what needs to happen right now is the legislation be written properly so that it accomplishes the task and forgoes any delays .

i think a lawyer can accomplish this task more efficiently that most .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Wed 04 Nov 2015, 13:34

Some lyers I mean lawyers do have a conscience. Sometimes a fresh face sees things from a different angle and may have better solutions then we think. Don't forget this guy will have competent people around him. We'll see what we think after six months or so.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 04 Nov 2015, 13:22

Foreseeable downfall, as a veteran I foresee the fact that his not a veteran but a lawyer problematic. Not sure why, any thoughts or opinions?
Maybe a biased opinion, not sure.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 04 Nov 2015, 13:09

If they move the DM out then it is an extremly stupid move.  Walt took the micromanaging out of VAC, put the trained people in their proper departments and most importantly he was in on the Equitas 3 day meetings for the admiistrative changes and service provider.

If JT is true that he is giving his Ministers more free reign then why would he move the DM who started that process in his first week with the ADM's. All he wanted to see was progress reports within each department and put faith into his ADM's.

Walt wanted this position to clean it up.  And if anyone is going to give a VAC 101 class to the new Minister this is the guy I want to do the handover.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:22

not sure if they can get rid of the ombudsman harper re uped him just prior to the election .

as for uncle walt it aint lookin good for him.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:11

So does this mean the Ombudsman and uncle Walter are out?

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 04 Nov 2015, 12:00

But time will tell as wildthing states.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:59

Someone with a disability as MVA, I respect that, I respect that a lot. Common understanding of living with a disability and the challenges it brings to an individua'sl quality of life. This is a sign of hope.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:54

Last time I went in front of a man in a wheel chair was sisip and I got ------ they judge everyone according to the injury they them self have. TIME WILL TELL!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:52

I thought he would have put Casey, Charlottetown, in the file. He is also a lawyer and he had the VAC file 3/4 years ago.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:51

Dear NEW MVA,
I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
Best of luck and my respect,
Don't lose it because you will never earn it back.
Now fulfill Trudeau's promises.
A veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 11:48

well he knows what its like to be shot at and hit . he knows what its like to be disabled . but ya the lawyer thing can be a double edged sward cant it .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next