Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Priorities

+4
BinRat
RCNRetired
Kramer
Teentitan
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Priorities Empty Re: Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Priorities

Post by 6608 Sun 21 Feb 2016, 11:58

Bigrex,according to the terms of reference for advisory council members they don’t get any (remuneration) pay.

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/advisory-council/terms-reference#05

Compensation

Council members are not entitled to remuneration. However, they will be reimbursed for travel expenses for scheduled Council meetings, in accordance with the National Joint Council Travel Directive.

What i find interesting the ombudsman is an advisor to the Minister of Veterans Affairs, and he has on staff a legal advisor, senior policy advisor, media relations advisor, ect government bureaucracy at its finest.

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Priorities Empty Re: Office of the Veterans Ombudsman Priorities

Post by bigrex Sun 21 Feb 2016, 10:02

6608, the advisory counsel may not be on salary, but you can bet they get paid just the same. That is why the report lists Salaries and Wages, because public service salaries are paid at the same rate every month, regardless of how many hours were worked, while wages are something that is paid on a daily or hourly rate. And honestly, they had better be getting paid, because otherwise that would mean that those 37 staffers get an average salary of almost $71000, or assuming they work 40 hours per week, an hourly wage of $35. Yet a no hook Private who works a 40 hour work week makes only $21.43/hr, and a maxed out Cpl, only makes $31.16/hr. But how many junior NCMS do you guys know that only work 40 hours per week, all year round? Not many. If fact they would make more than even a maxed out Sgt and most junior officers. And that is considerably higher than what they were when most of us we in. Even considering the wage freeze since 2013, the monthly pay at my rank has increased by $1000 since my release in 2006.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Feb 2016, 04:55

WOW that is a lot of excess fat i bet half of the federal budget for the whole of Canada is spent in wages and pensions right in Ottawa on parliment hill. Really General so & so is retiring and he is only getting a generals pension well we can make up a job title for him can he come into the office 2 days a week and send the odd memo his secratary will have it all typed out all he has to do is push send, it will pay 12k a month. Yes he will get the whole summer off and a couple months at Christmas. That should keep his country club membership paid up etc etc. There is not just fat on parliment hill there's a schitt load of fkn blubber and it's rotted and stinks... Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 Sat 20 Feb 2016, 20:18

Bigrex, I know his staff was 37 in 2014. The members that you refer to above are advisory council members and don't get paid.

Structure of the Office

"As an advisor to the Minister of Veterans Affairs, I am supported by a team of 37 employees located in Ottawa and Charlottetown, including service representatives, early intervention analysts, program review advisors, communicators, a legal advisor, policy advisors, and administrative support staff. Among my team you will find former members of the CAF and the RCMP, as well as experienced public servants.

My team and I also rely on an Advisory Council for advice on matters of concern to the Veterans’ community, to foster cooperation among Veterans’ groups and to increase dialogue between us and the Veterans’ community. The Advisory Council is comprised of Veterans’ representatives, professional advisors from academia, health care, rehabilitation or other fields, as well as affiliate members with varied areas of expertise."

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 20 Feb 2016, 19:28

I really don't know what to believe short of access to info, money and numbers.
But bigrex... some 22 OVO members with an annual budget of 2.6 million breaks down to $100G each pretty much right?

So then I start thinking of cost/benefit analysis, as well as critiquing/vetting the credentials of ALL members of the OVO. That's transparency. Make the motives clearly transparent.

But it's all relative first and foremost to the GoC for accountability is it not?
Here's hoping.

In the mean time I trust the chainsaw I've always used. You still have yours wild thing. Keep it very sharp with bureaucratic oil. It can be a long, hard, fracking road.

Stay well everyone
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Feb 2016, 22:57

2.6 million in salarys not including claims and millions more in office budget and they don't have the power to do schitt. Where's my chainsaw Pinger here is some fat that needs trimmed.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 19 Feb 2016, 20:56

Does anyone know how many staff there are in the OVO? I'm just curious since that the OVO reports an annual salary of $2.6Million? The OVO website only list members and affiliate members, but I doubt they are the ones answering the phones and such. But of the 22 OVO members and affiliate members, including the Ombudsmen the vast majority are retired senior officers, including two retired Generals. So it's not like they are needing that money, not when all but the most severely disabled Veterans are being forced to accept next to nothing for their service.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:05

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat Sun 14 Feb 2016, 22:58

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 271

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Feb 2016, 07:42

Hi wild thing, there is a thread under Notices section of Csat about the CFOne card maybe there is some info there. Take care.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Feb 2016, 07:27

Where and what is this card good for Trooper cannot find that info anywhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Feb 2016, 06:36

RCN....here is something that is new with respect to ID card...don't know if this is something you might be interested in ;

http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/new-cfone-card-available-veterans/

Back to top Go down

Post by RCNRetired Sun 14 Feb 2016, 02:52

How about a damn ID card that would not be hard to do. This is especially needed now that there are more and more businesses that provide cost saving incentives.

RCNRetired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Jan 2016, 05:55

Excellent info teen..thanks for keeping us all informed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next