Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

+12
ColdWarVet1980
Dannypaj
Rifleman
BinRat
Sapper Zodiak
johnny211
Kramer
pinger
bigrex
Rags
Teentitan
birdgunner
16 posters

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Rags Mon 25 Nov 2013, 09:34

Gordon Moore was in a position of power in the legion when the charter was acclaimed. What did he do then? Too little too late.
The fix is simple but the politicians cant seem to see it...out of ignorance spite or what I dont know. There was a problem with the old system and instead of fixing the issue they created a whole new mess. How they get out of it I dont know they appear to have gone to far.

Never make a complaint without a solution so its simple.
1. Go back to old system and tighten up the rules on who can claim and when. While serving and after retirement as in old days.
2. Fix SISIP so it works as it was supposed to....lawsuit kinda pointed that out to them. All those non battle DVA claims go where they should back to SISIP.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Ex Member Tue 08 Oct 2013, 13:19

Harper even pisses the legion off!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty Legion Chief Gordon Moore slams Ottawa

Post by Ex Member Tue 08 Oct 2013, 12:03

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty Legion Survey

Post by Teentitan Sun 12 May 2013, 13:39

I encourage everyone to go to the link and do the survey

http://legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/veterans-benefits-survey/

The more info the Legion has the louder their voice will be.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty Legion Outraged Over Fees being Charged

Post by Teentitan Tue 15 May 2012, 22:52

Ottawa – It has come to The Royal Canadian Legion’s attention that some unscrupulous people are charging fees to disabled veterans to help them complete disability claims. To make matters worse they are also making arrangements to take a percentage of the disability award when it is granted.

This must stop, immediately. While veterans are free to have anyone they desire help them with disability claims, they should not be charged for this service. We are also concerned that some veterans may be uninformed about assistance that is also readily available free of charge.

The Royal Canadian Legion is well suited to help identify and complete disability claims for veterans for free. For more than 80 years, we have provided exemplary and outstanding services to our veterans, including our serving members in the CF, the RCMP and their families free of charge – and these people do not have to be Legion members.

As we prepare to commemorate the sacrifices and accomplishments our veterans made for this country during the Battle of Vimy Ridge some 95 years ago, Canadians should remember the immense debt of gratitude we still owe our veterans. Any veteran or family member can call 1-877-534-4666 or visit our website www.legion.ca for free assistance with your Veterans Affairs Canada Disability Application. It is only just that they receive this service for free.

Patricia (Pat) Varga
Dominion President
Ottawa

http://legion.ca/News/12_April02_e.cfm

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by birdgunner Thu 18 Nov 2010, 09:28

Here is my letter of resignation and turn-in of membership card to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 42 Selkirk. I have applied to and been received by a different organization The Army Air Force Navy, who showed up in force for the CVNDOP 2010.

I did copy portions of RB's letter to the RCL, sorry for the part plagairism!!!

Mr. Chad Edmonds, CD
629 Clandeboye Ave.
Selkirk MB
R1A 0X9

November 17th 2010

Royal Canadian Legion
Selkirk Branch 42
403 Eveline St.
Selkirk MB
R1A 1N8

Non-support Canadian Veterans National Day of Protest-Resignation

Royal Canadian Legion Branch 42,

It is disappointing that the Royal Canadian legion must stand behind the decision it has made. Many Veterans and Legion members were counting on the Royal Canadian Legions support, even if it was only with word, to allow them to attend this protest knowing the organization that we belong to stands behind them and beside our Veterans.

The support requested was meant to allow the Royal Canadian Legion the flexibility to take a stand without it going against it's own constitution. By once again stating that the Royal Canadian Legion does not support the Canadian Veterans National Day Of Protest can only be defined as supporting the Government of Canada.

By standing by and allowing illegal practices by Veterans Affairs Canada regarding the privacy act, the endorsement of Manulife Financial even though they are the key culprit in the SISIP clawback, allowing the Government of Canada to clawback pensions, and now the open non-support of the Canadian Veterans National Day of Protest, a protest of Veterans who have had enough. I can only conclude that the Royal Canadian legion is no longer the Veterans advocate organization I believed I had joined.

One can only look at current membership numbers to know what is occuring at Royal Canadian Legions across Canada. It is no longer the place for Veterans but in a sense a union hall catering to the “old boys club”. The current executive of Royal Canadian Legion Selkirk Brach 42 is a prime example of Associate members taking over the ranks within the Royal Canadian Legion. One executive member is an actual Veteran, which is on par with the membership numbers across Canada, 370,000 members of which only 70,000 are Veterans.
This does not give the Royal Canadian Legion automatic privelige to say they are the voice and representation of Veterans, I would say Veteran Voice is more of a “voice for the Veteran” than the Royal Canadian Legion and with a current membership well over 110,000 and growing. Veterans have found a new home.

It is imparative that the Royal Canadian Legion change it's attitude immediately and stand side by side with all Veterans. Without new memberships coming in and a revolt bulding how is the Royal Canadian Legion going to attract actual Veterans for their membership numbers? In the month of October Royal Canadian Legion Selkirk Branch 42 welcomed three new Associate members and another 19 members who I believe are Associate members. So where are the Ordinary members? By continuosly allowing non-Veterans to access the sacred halls only shows how out-of-touch they really are.

Therefore, I wish to inform the Royal Canadian Legion Selkirk Branch 42 I am resigning as a member of the Royal Canadian Legion effective 18 November 2010. I will, at this time, ask any other Legion members who feel the same betrayal do likewise.

Good luck in the future. I wish only the best for our Veterans and pray one day the organization known as the Royal Canadian Legion never views 6th November 2010 as the day that began their downfall.

Lest We Forget.

Chad C Edmonds, CD
Membership No.- Ordinary 7749880
Selkirk MB
birdgunner
birdgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-10

http://jets.nhl.com

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty Legion

Post by Guest Tue 09 Nov 2010, 06:55

Cal.......I am, as always, in agreement with the responses I have received regarding the Legion and it's (in)ability to help. The problem, as I see it lies in the Legions lack of empathy to its Veteran's. I understand your analogies. The more that the Legion becomes overtaken by civilian leaders, the more the effectiveness of the organization becomes watered down. I personally would never become a member - and I certainly would not want to be involved in an organization that allows racism to be displayed inside the doors. Your letter displays anger - and justifiably so..........but how are YOU doing?

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty The Legion is not for me

Post by Guest Tue 09 Nov 2010, 04:05

Having struggled through hell thanks to an OSI, and having asked the Legion for assistance when times were at their worst, only to be turned away with repeated refusals without explanation ... I have no time whatsoever for the Legion.

While it was a place that my grandfather, who served in both WW2 and Korea, cherished and frequently took me with him on his frequent visits, the experiences I have had in the last few years have tarnished these memories. Indeed, I can't help but think that if my grandfather were still alive he would take it upon himself to give the civilians who run most of the branches such a thrashing that they would pray for a chance to have served with even a smidgeon of the dignity and honour that so many of us have.

That it was not just the local branches in Toronto, but also the provincial command of Ontario and the Dominion Command that failed to assist in my hour of greatest need, when I faced eviction from my apartment while suffering from the deepest hell of depression, while at the same time the leadership were professing an active participation in assisting those most in need of help, still curdles my stomach. That several of my relatives (with whom I have severed all ties), who never served a day in uniform, and likely would soil themselves at the first barked command while failing to even resemble standing at attention during basic training, and who look down with snobbery at anyone who has made the commitment to serve, have been able to claim positions of responsibility in various Legion halls across Canada simply by being the offspring of my grandfather, makes me feel physically ill.

That the Dominion Command continues to support the farsical "We-Support-The-Troops" BS that is spewed on the public by both the government and the insurance-minded denial-by-design cretins at VAC gives the optics of an organization suffering from a terminal illness that is clinging to life-support provided by a necrotic organization. To further the analogy, the optics of the relationship between VAC and the Legion could be viewed as similar to that occuring between a serotic liver undergoing withdrawal and the very drink that simultaneously allows that liver to function while ensuring it's eventual demise.

When the Legion returns to being an organization for and by those who served, I might reconsider my stance, but as it stands, I view the organization as being an "enemy" similar to the non-compassionate, self-serving bureaucrats at VAC who would prefer that the newest generation of veterans simply didn't exist.

W. Callaghan
Disabled Veteran, Former CF Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 03 Nov 2010, 21:30

Just read this on the Toronto Sun and thought you would like to know the consequences this Legion is facing.

CAMPBELLFORD - “What the hell were you thinking?” — Jay Leno to Hugh Grant, July 10, 1995.

The problem is the two men in the middle of a racial storm here say they were not thinking.

And now are “very sorry.”

The question for those hurt and outraged by the insensitivity of their Halloween humour attempt, is their fall-on-their-sword mea culpa enough?

Currently the Royal Canadian Legion branch has been ordered closed temporarily pending an investigation on how it is these people were not only allowed into the party dressed so inappropriately but also won a prize for best original costume.

Ontario president Ed Pigeau said one legion insider has been “severely reprimanded” and more discipline or, perhaps, “dismissals” is a possibility.

Meanwhile, the public knows them s a pretend Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard and a black-faced mock-lynching victim.

But the men who dressed up for a Halloween party the Legion are area residents — one a millwright and the other a retired Toronto Police officer.

Both who say they took a “crazy” idea of trying to win a contest way too far.

They honestly never intended, or even perceived, the outcome, the say.

“I didn’t see it as a big thing and thought it was just a Halloween costume but after the fact I realize it’s just stupid and was extremely poor judgment,” said a shaken Blair Crowley in an interview Wednesday. “I am sorry for what I have done and take 100% responsibility.”

His partner in the stunt, Terry Nunn, echoed the sentiment — saying as a former police officer, “I of all people should have known better and I feel terrible for the mistake that I made. It was stupid and I want to apologize to everyone including the Toronto Police Service and the Toronto Police Association from which I retired in 2006 as the director of legal services.”

So what the hell happened?

Crowley said it started with a quick decision to attend the party with his fellow Harley Davidson enthusiast pal because both of their wives had other plans.

“We needed to make up some customs fast,” said Crowley.

Nunn said his pal’s original idea was to “dress up like Charles Manson and even put the swastika on his forehead.”

Nunn, Toronto’s 1981 police officer of the year and a veteran of 32 years on the job which he said included stints as a homicide detective, knew that was in bad taste.

“I told Blair it was too much,” he said.

But how they ever thought going as a KKK member and a black man with a noose around his neck was more appropriate is a mind-bender.

“I saw a bed sheet and...I didn’t want to be a ghost,” explained Crowley. “It kind of evolved from there.”

Next came a piece of Bristol board and an old confederate flag.

“I thought I would go as a black person to match that,” Nunn said.

They were trying to be funny and both say it never occurred to either of them that somebody might take offence.

“We were trying to shock a bit,” said Crowley. “We wanted to win.”

Nunn said the pair told people to let them know if they were offended.

“But people seemed to laugh and a lot of people said not to worry it was just a Halloween costume,” he said.

There was also a person at the party wearing a “Nazi chef” costume with a Hitler moustache and SS insignia and no one seemed worried about that, either, Nunn said.

The Legion is investigating that as well.

Neither men knew anyone was upset about their attire until news broke in the media that local restaurateur Mark Andrade, a man of Jamaican ancestry, was “disgusted” by it.

Now both men say they want to make amends.

“He runs a great restaurant and I never ever wanted to hurt his feelings,” said Nunn. “We were clearly wrong.

He says they’ll both go to Andrade and apologize face-to-face and hope to be forgiven.

“I don’t believe in the KKK,” Nunn said. “It was just a silly Halloween costume idea that went off the rails and I know one day I will look back and say ‘You idiot.’”

I teased both that maybe next year they can go as a pair of asses — as in attend without a costume.

But in fairness I have to say I felt both men were contrite, humbled and genuinely mortified by their transgressions. It was bad judgment but I don’t see any evidence they are bad guys or that there was intended malice. They also did not run and hide from the controversy but dealt with it head on — as has the legion.

I think my wise friend Bernie Farber, of the Canadian Jewish Congress, said it best by indicating there are important lessons learned.

“Invoking one of history’s most demonic regimes either in fun or otherwise is provocative,” said Farber. “It will in all certainty get you noticed but dressing up as a Nazi SS or wearing the robes of the KKK is about as funny as wearing a Paul Bernardo mask.”

When Jay Leno asked Hugh Grant ‘what he was thinking’ the movie star said “I think you know in life what’s a good thing to do and what’s a bad thing, and I did a bad thing.”

Two guys in Campbellford now understand what he meant.

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 03 Nov 2010, 21:06

I can't wait to see the letters to the editor tomorrow in the Sun! There is going to be some doozies I bet.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Nov 2010, 20:09

Thank you.......it felt good to get that off my chest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 03 Nov 2010, 19:31

WELL WRITTEN SIR!!!!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty My E-mailed response to the Campbellford Legion Fiasco that occurred Saturday Night

Post by Guest Wed 03 Nov 2010, 17:44

Subject: Halloween Fiasco

The Royal Canadian Legion

Ontario Provincial Command

89 Industrial Parkway N

Aurora ON

L4G 4C4

I would like to express my deepest disgust at the atrocity that you permitted to occur within your Legion Hall in Campbellford, Ontario this past Saturday night. If you have the intestinal fortitude to continue reading this email then please do so. If it is your intent to reply to this email, please include all the above listed addresses, or I can simply forward your explanation. Please do not respond with a typical response such as "each Legion is responsible for it's own entertainment options", because it will severely negate what each Legion is required to do in the name of decency - which is certainly a Provincial, if not a National Legion responsibility.

For more years than I have been on this planet, and for the entire 25 years that I spent in Uniform, I have never witnessed this type of atrocity occurring within a Legion Hall. Military persons and Veterans the world over have fought against this type of oppression since time immemorial, and will continue to do so long after this story has been replaced with other atrocities that happen each and every day.

You allowed these individuals to enter an establishment which is steeped in Military history. A place which displays honors and awards, emphasizes loyalty and respect, honor and dedication. I presume you also keep a Memorial or such depicting the names of honored Vets who have already gone to their Maker.

Each year on Remembrance Day you hold ceremonies which show your dedication and respect, not only for our Veteran's but also for our Country.

Canada was never involved in the disgusting Slave Trade. Canada, through its sons and daughters proved a refuge for those who were running from the oppression that they were experiencing within the borders of our Southern neighbor. Many Canadians risked their lives to provide a safe haven for those wishing to escape what YOUR LEGION has depicted in our National Newspapers; and our Veterans have fought and died to ensure the safety of persons all over this planet, whether it be through oppression, discrimination, Military Junta's, threats to National Security et al. Canadian Veteran's have been involved in moving Refugees of ALL NATIONALITIES, Races, Backgrounds etc....and not once did any of these brave souls use their positions, places or personal values to interfere with the work they were asked to perform.

I am not sure of which I am more surprised (disgusted) with: The fact that these individuals were permitted to GET INSIDE YOUR ESTABLISHMENT, or the fact that they were awarded FIRST PRIZE for displaying the complete opposite of what my fellow countrymen are dying to prevent. In any event, I am disgusted with each on an entirely new level for me.

To think that a resident of your own community, an obvious individual whose own Race was, and is, the subject of massive discrimination for centuries shocks me to tears. To think that someone opened the doors, viewed this despicable depiction of Racism and hatred, and permitted it's entry into a LEGION is beyond my simple comprehension. PLEASE TELL US WHY you permitted these people to enter dressed as they were?.......Please tell me that these individuals are not part of your forming committees or fund raising committees, or any other damned committee, because if they were then you should simply pass in your resignation today and leave.

This week is filled with activities involving Veterans. School children will view Legion Personnel, Veterans, supporters, current Military etc laying wreaths, giving informative speeches, describing experiences.

Please remember that these school children will also be reading our National Papers depicting what you have done - and their young, impressionable minds will simply relate that story to any other story our Vets have to tell.........You have destroyed our image on the very week that we are seeking to be noticed. HOW DARE YOU???!!!

It makes me cringe to think of the possibility of a young child asking an aged Vet if he was at a Halloween Party on the weekend, and asking him if he won 1st prize for his "COSTUME".

Not many things that occur in this Country has the capability of making me feel a personal sense of shame. I have done my duty to Queen and Country. I have lived the atrocities forced upon the less fortunate in many parts of this world. I have witnessed the amazing capabilities of a limited Military, manned by dedicated souls. I have seen good. I have seen bad. I have seen evil.

I have never in my life seen a Legion degrade it's own membership, and the Public Eye. You have removed everything from us during our most momentous moment. What you have done supersedes everything we have done - and certainly not in a positive light.

The gentleman who witnessed this atrocity must live in a township where everyone will look at him in a new light. Can you even imagine what you have done to his spirit? What you have done to his soul?......you can never repair that, as those of us who suffer in silence already know. That poor man will never feel the same again - and that, in itself, is probably the greatest atrocity of all.

Please be advised that your legion, on its own, has demonstrated in it's entirety what has become of a time honored organization. Your Legion is representative of the reasons why we will have no support at the Rally being held Nation-wide this coming Saturday, 6 November 2010 at 1100 hours. Your Legion is indicative of the failures to our Country's legion of Veterans, RCMP and serving members of our Military. Your legion has expressed, in one stupid move what your entire Organization has expressed this past year: That you are simply a Social Club who has lost touch with it's own members, and most certainly you have expressed that you are not forward looking enough to understand that you are losing your future as well. No son or daughter of mine will ever receive my recommendation to enter a Legion. I will ask them to honor my service to this country in other ways than those dictated by you and your kind.

Anthony John Dwyer, CD1, NATO, Gulf&Kuwait
1982 - 2006 served with honor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Oct 2010, 01:02

You know i have been reading your posts and ditto and i agree I have been dealing with the Legion for years and My branch in Maple Ridge 88 is one of the richest legions around. I have tryed to get help in many ways from them but to no avail. The only reason i stayed a Legion member as long as i have is to hopefully make changes with in.Such is NOT the case as i was classed as a trouble maker to them just because i wanted to get peacekeeping Veterans to be recognized as veterans.I remember when i first came to this legion wearing my "gongs" and my blue beret well i was told in no uncertain terms that I would not be allowed to wear my blue beret on the Nov 11 parade in 2002..I said umm sorry i served in the UN NOT the legion it annoys me these twits have oodles of decorations on the right but not one on the left..over their heart..Well the legion obviously has no heart to help the new generation of veterans there fore I am refusing to re-up my membership,,Not supporting the veterans national day of protest was the last straw!!

Gary Grigg CD SSM CPSM Unficyp2 wound stripe

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 18 Empty The Legion

Post by Guest Thu 21 Oct 2010, 17:35

Glad to see some people hold my views on this insidious organization. If we can now only get all Canadian Military Vets to simply give them back their membership cards, then maybe Nov 6 can become the new National Day of Recognition for Vets. Nov 11 ceremonies notwithstanding, I will never stand alongside a member of any Legion in Canada and recognize that person as being on our side. I will honor the individual as we all should, because the individual has done what we all have done - given our lives to our country. But the Organization itself can go to hell
cheers
tony

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next