Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

+12
ColdWarVet1980
Dannypaj
Rifleman
BinRat
Sapper Zodiak
johnny211
Kramer
pinger
bigrex
Rags
Teentitan
birdgunner
16 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 19 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Ex Member Mon 11 Oct 2010, 19:33

I think it boils down to the fact that the legion always goes along with the government. They do not want to cause any waves. If you go into a legion in my area its all former cadets and relatives of somebody who new somebody back in the service. I went a couple times as a guest and veterans topics very rarly made the rounds. In fact to be honest it felt more like a union hall or union meeting . I am not a member. I find all the info i need right here on this site. The staff at Vvi deserve alot of praise because would we really want to get our Vet info from the legion. honestily. Navrat out

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 19 Empty Legion Membership

Post by Guest Mon 11 Oct 2010, 19:20

I let my Legion membership expire about 3 years ago (25 year member). Reason was that it seemed to me that they were no longer supporting Veterans and were not looking after Veterans' welfare. Now that the Legion will not get involved in supporting our Veterans on the NVDOP, I do not regret my decision. I thought the Legion was supposed to look after Veterans issues for the benefit of the Veteran but obviously I was wrong.I also do not like being called Comrade (sounds Commie). Just my thoughts

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 19 Empty Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by birdgunner Sat 18 Sep 2010, 13:05

In absolute agreement with this issue.

My next door neighbour(legion member) who had 2 years of navy service back in the 50's looked at my Vet licence plate and stated "How can you be a Vet?".

If you have to ask then you don't deserve an answer. I don't have any time for these uniformed, ignorant individuals.

Went to my legion branch here in Selkirk, MB to ask for assistance from the Service Officer for information and guidance in dealing with a VAC matter. He took one look at the paperwork listened unattentively for 10 minutes and told me He was unable to assist as it was a new ball game and He didn't know the procedure or anyway to help. This is from an appointed voted position. I found out later the service officer was a civilian with NO military background.

This is typical of the attitude of the current Legion membership and commitees, as you stated it is run by civilians. To even try to get your foot in the door of the Legion committes and they slam the door on you.

When I logged onto Selkirk Legion and looked at their photos for events from the past few years almost everyone in a Legion blazer has a row of medals on their chest and not one is from service to the forces.

It is imparative for the Legion to change their attitude immediately and get on board with the issues surrounding the current Vets if not, the curent revolt will only intensify as more Vets say goodbye to the Legion by not renewing or joining the Legion.

I am disgusted by the fact that there is too many organizations with there agendas on the table. We have to be united in our stance to progress in our issues and everyone has to be on the same battle field with the same mission statement.

Cheers

birdgunner
birdgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-10

http://jets.nhl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sat 18 Sep 2010, 12:18

IMO the Legion and it's ever dwindling membership that actually wore a CF uniform is because they are "Victims of Their Own Vanity".

Why would anyone in the 70's to the 90's who were serving in the CF want to join the Legion when you were ridiculed, drunkingly spat upon, verbally abused and downright thrown out of a Legion Hall because a member got his shorts in a bunch because current members of the CF were sitting there having a few beers and a laugh.

The "vanity" of the Legion membership during this 25 year span did not have the foresight to accept currently serving CF members as part of the Legion family. Only when the vets were dieing and enrollment was stagnant did they open their doors to civilians.

Just because the Legion can boast about having a 370K membership but only 70K of them are actual veterans does not give them the automatic privelidge to say they are the voice and representatives of veterans. I would say the Veteran Voice is more of a "voice for the veteran" then the Legion.

But the most suspicious actions of the Dominion Command is that they are not willing to fully support the Veterans National Day of Protest. Their suspicious actions of not wanting to support a monumentous event of Canadian veterans across the country for the first time in history protesting the lack of help from their government is almost akin to treason.

It's almost as if Dominion Command is waiting for an implosion within the veteran community. So that during the uproar they can go to the government and ask to be annointed as the saviours and representatives for the veteran community.

I guess that's what happens when you have about 300,000 civilians in an organization...they are just a pack of cowardly, coniving power mongering whores who just want to be important at the cost of the sick and injured who are too weak to fend for themselves.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Sep 2010, 18:42

I agree with you there Skater. The places I have visited all seem impervious to what is happening today. Not that the members are caught up in yesteryear, but I was always given the impression that as a member of this generation, we have not merited their respect. Odd isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 Sep 2010, 22:11

In my personal experience I find that the Legion hall are mostly runned by "associate members" i.e wives, relatives and friends of Vets . IT took me once 3 months to join a legion in Coben on, and I had nothing but a bad experiences cause they (WW2 & Korean) vets do not repect our service and they disaprove the way our newest vets in thier opinion are coddled with the highway of heros etc etc and have no bones telling you about it. So I stay away cause My son nephew and brothers all served in the Ghan. Thats what happened to me. you have to judge for yourself like a pair of shoes just try it on for size. Skate out.

Back to top Go down

Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles - Page 19 Empty Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Guest Tue 14 Sep 2010, 09:01

I have been considering for the past couple of years on whether or not I should become a member of my local legion. It has never been my intention NOT to become a member, it is simply one of those things which I had never gotten around to doing. I retired in 2006, even though I did not really want to, and although I have often been inside Legions, and am aware of their position in our various communities, I have never felt "drawn" to them. Now, lately, as I peruse the various correspondence posted by various members, and read the various responses put out by different legion commands, the reason for not joining has become very obvious.

These heroic men and women from past years and past wars have every right to be there. Upon returning home from conflicts around the globe, these men and women required a social base from which they could share their experiences. That social base has gone forward and done wonderful things for men and women in uniform. They have stood the fight, won and lost battles, and assisted those in need.

Today, that social base has been replaced by technology. Modern soldiers, sailors and airmen and airwomen do not need a "table in the corner" to discuss their business. They simply have to sit at their desk at home or in the office and share their experiences. Our heroes of past conflicts did not have that opportunity and needed the comfort of comrades in arms to relate to.

It is my own personal opinion that the Legions in our country are going to suffer a dramatic loss in membership commensurate with the declining population of WW2, Korean and other conflicts in which the present membership have participated simply because of their own short-sightedness. And by that, I do not mean the short-sightedness of its members. I mean the obvious limited participation in what we "modern" vets consider important is not being carefully considered here. If Bill Gates had kept Microsoft for himself, then he would be the only rich person involved in that corporation.  He did not do that. He sought out the brightest and best to represent his ideas and ideals. By doing so, he created the greatest organization he could simply by listening and doing what his advisers and partners required. By doing so, he kept a tangible hold on a huge organization, while ensuring that his "members" benefited.

If the persons leading the way in today's Legions do not see the potential for lost membership, simply because they are stuck in the past, then they are preparing a recipe for disaster. Imagine, if you would, a future where the Legion is relegated to a Social Club for those who have had, might have had, or maybe will have, someone in their families who were at one time affiliated with the Canadian Forces. Does the current situation at the Corp. Of Commissionaires ring any bells??? They to are losing membership from "Uniform" personnel to a membership which now includes family members of former Military personnel.

Go to any gate at any Base and you will see such. Where once there were efficient people with obvious Military backgrounds, you now see young people with long hair and sloppy uniforms "guarding" our gates.

Many will not agree with me. Not today anyhow. However, I am willing to bet my own Uniform that in twenty years, our local legion will be devolved to a Bingo Parlor with a pool table in the corner, frequented by hat wearing, pant sagging personnel who, if asked, could not tell you where Dieppe is, never mind what it means in the collective consciousness of our Country.

Imagine, if you will, a future Remembrance Day Ceremony with NO representation from our Legion, simply because the drive is not there. And by drive, I mean dedicated persons, who have been recognized by their government and by their Legion. I understand that this may be a stretch of imagination, but the possibility exists. And that possibility exists because it's future membership depends on its current support.

I for one have decided that being a member of a social club is far more interesting to me today than paying dues for something I will not be receiving tomorrow.

Anyone for crib???

Anthony (Tony) Dwyer, CD, Gult&Kuwait

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19