Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 17 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 16:40

Artie Simm wrote: I don`t have a problem telling them how it is, I took Mefloquine because the Army told me I had to and that screwed me up, I`m not taking anything any other medication VAC recommends through a psychologist. Can I not forward all the information to my CM and say open a DEC claim then?

Exactly, contact your CM and request they start the process for determining you DEC.

Some are a little slow and may give you some BS, pay no attention to that, tell them you feel you meet the criteria for DEC and you were told that Case Managers are in place to support the Veteran, and support the request of the Veteran.
You may get lucky and get the support right away, if not, don't feel bad as it happens to many. Be persistent.
Case Managers are suppose to know what evidence to ask for.

It's one of those things where you never know until you apply.

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 17 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 15:59

I don`t have a problem telling them how it is, I took Mefloquine because the Army told me I had to and that screwed me up, I`m not taking anything any other medication VAC recommends through a psychologist. Can I not forward all the information to my CM and say open a DEC claim then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 15:28

Artie Simm wrote:once again, who "declares" a Vet, DEC, I`ve completed a Rehab program and am working, but according to what I`ve read about DEC, it`s no longer "Totally impared" but "Diminished capacity", so you can now have a job and still claim it. Just because a Vet is now working, it shouldn`t mean he`s not entitled to a portion of that income he lost from being released well before 25 years service.
If you read the whole DEC page, it says you need this assessment and that, but it also says VAC can make a decision based on medical/psychologial reports that already have without the Vet needing to jump through any more hoops.

A VAC Case Manager is the person who initiates the DEC for you. It is the Case Manager who either approves you for DEC, or recommends in a report to VAC to either qualify you, or not qualify you. Either way, you need to go through a Case Manager, at least that is my understanding. Others can correct if it can be done on your own.

One point about one of your above post Artie where you state you refuse to take medication, when applying for any benefit, I would not state in the application you refuse to take medication, that's just my advice, you do what you feel is right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 14:43

once again, who "declares" a Vet, DEC, I`ve completed a Rehab program and am working, but according to what I`ve read about DEC, it`s no longer "Totally impared" but "Diminished capacity", so you can now have a job and still claim it. Just because a Vet is now working, it shouldn`t mean he`s not entitled to a portion of that income he lost from being released well before 25 years service.
If you read the whole DEC page, it says you need this assessment and that, but it also says VAC can make a decision based on medical/psychologial reports that already have without the Vet needing to jump through any more hoops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:36

Artie you need to have an approved Rehab program with VAC in order to qualify for CIA. Once on a Rehab plan, if you are declared DEC, then you are eligible for CIAS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:10

the VAC 671 Medical Questionnaire: Employment Capacity;
a specialized functional capacity assessment;,...these do not exist.
"Specialized assessments, such as employability and functional capacity assessments, may not be required in all cases. For example, the medical report that accompanies the application may provide sufficient evidence to make a DEC decision for a Veteran with a clear and significant loss of functional capacity and employability.
Where evidence indicates that, with additional medical, psycho-social or vocational rehabilitation, the Veteran could have potential to regain capacity for suitable gainful employment, the Veteran should not be found to have met the criteria for a DEC designation.
My psychologist not my family Dr. ( as I do not have one), states that my PTSD is sever and will long term help is not going to change my brain, unless I take medication, which I refuse to take after what Mefloquine did to me. I am going to apply to VAC on these grounds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:05

Evidence Required

A DEC decision must be based on evidence in relation to the health problem(s) for which the Veteran is eligible for the Rehabilitation Program.
The following objective evidence must be considered in making a DEC decision:
the prognosis regarding the program-eligible health problem(s); and
the impact of the program eligible health problem(s) on the Veteran’s:
functional capacity; and
employability.
Information to evaluate these factors may be obtained as required from sources including, but not limited to, the following:
medical/rehabilitation reports, which reflect the Veteran’s current health status and functional capacity;
the VAC 671 Medical Questionnaire: Employment Capacity;
a specialized functional capacity assessment;
an employability assessment and/or a vocational assessment obtained from a vocational rehabilitation provider;
Service Income Security Insurance Plan - Long Term Disability (SISIP-LTD) reports and Canada Pension Plan (CPP) – Disability Pension reports; and
any other relevant information needed to make a DEC decision
Specialized assessments, such as employability and functional capacity assessments, may not be required in all cases. For example, the medical report that accompanies the application may provide sufficient evidence to make a DEC decision for a Veteran with a clear and significant loss of functional capacity and employability.
Where evidence indicates that, with additional medical, psycho-social or vocational rehabilitation, the Veteran could have potential to regain capacity for suitable gainful employment, the Veteran should not be found to have met the criteria for a DEC designation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:01

I`ve read the whole link, where does it say how to apply for DEC ( in order to obtain CIA suppliment)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jul 2017, 11:49

I`ve been trying to read everything everyone has to say about DEC and I am so confused ( which is always VAC`s goal) . I was medically released 20 years ago with 16 years in, couldn`t meet universality of service so I was kicked out and given a monthly cheque of $126.00 for my injury. True I couldn`t do all the physical things I could have before, but I could have instructed troop classes based on the knowledge I had obtained over the years, comms, vehicle driving/mainteance, field craft , weapon firing etc. but unlike the American military that gives their injured veterans the option to stay in the forces, out the door I went.
I bitterly moved on,there are somethings physically I`ll just never be able to do even after all these years  because my wound never healed properly, but from what I`m seeing about this DEC , if you apply, VAC is is supposed to look at how old you were, how many years you had in, how many years of income you were robbed off, that would have taken you to a 25 year career in the Forces, and then mathematically give you a portion of what you could have earned?
Okay, if that`s true, The only thing I can find here or on the VAC site is that a Veteran can apply for CIA if he is approved, it says the Vet can also apply for a CIA suppliment...but to get that the veteran must be proven to be both CIA & DEC, my question is how do you apply for DEC, I only see forms for CIA?

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 Sat 01 Apr 2017, 17:33

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Mar 2017, 15:16

Moving this topic up, this is also suppose to take affect April, 01, 2017.

Those who have not looked into getting deemed "Totally Permanently Incapacitated" (TPI), should now be taking a second look, because "Totally Permanently Incapacitated" (TPI), is going to be changed to "Diminished Earning Capacity" (DEC).

This should make it easier to qualify, for the (DEC), you would need this to apply for the "Career Impact Allowance" (CIA) supplement.

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Sun 06 Nov 2016, 12:35

VAC determines if you are Totally and Permanently Injured. Do you have a case manager? That person should be the one dealing with VAC on these matters. If you don't the Legion has case Officers that can help you. This is something you cannot do on your own.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Sun 06 Nov 2016, 10:44

Skeptical it sounds like your situation may be different but I found when I was going through the VAC grinder I missed many details or thought I understood things. My saving grace was an Awesome CM who took the time to explain things to make sure I was clear. I'm not sure if this is right but if you are 100% for one condition doesn't mean you are TPI and other injuries are covered by VIP and other medical services?

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 06 Nov 2016, 09:01

I have EELB, solely because of my physical limitations, recognized and not recognized, create a situation where I can no longer work. I was working, but was bed ridden between shifts, until it got to the point that I couldn't even get out of bed to go to work. You say that you've been in the system a long time, so were you working all this time with the physical disabilities? Have you complained that your physical disabilities have worsened, or did you tell your Dr that it was your PTSD that was starting to create issues? There has to be a reason that they are focusing on the PTSD
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Nov 2016, 06:21

skeptical they should be looking at the combined effect of all your conditions not jist picking the condition of the month or whatever they seem to be doing . yes you can get EELB for physical injuries  if you are over 100% you should not be getting the hard time you are getting . that just makes no sense to me .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next