Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

+30
cdnnavy77
MikeCeeGB
jimmyB1
Zodiac
Hellraiser
puddleduk2
bulldozer
bosn181
Gunner8
peep
45jim
AirLog
SIGS PIGS
Teager
totransit
Newfie
By the Bay
SaintJohn18182
johnny211
Rustytheviking
BinRat
cosmo12
prawnstar
czerv
1993firebird
Vet1234
Dannypaj
pinger
bigrex
34 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 4 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Gunner8 Fri 12 Apr 2019, 07:58

Applied for DEC/ CIAS on February 20th. Still says step 3 in myvacaccount. So called my CM a couple weeks ago and she said that my DEC was approved and that I would get the CIAS.
I’m happy to hear that, but wondering why my vac still hasn’t changed. Anyone else in this situation?

Gunner

Gunner8
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2018-01-13

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 4 Empty Re: Diminished Earning Capacity (DEC)

Post by Guest Tue 02 Apr 2019, 13:41

bigrex wrote:Being deemed DEC doesn't automatically grant CIA and CIAS, as they still need to be applied for. And any CIA/CIAS reviews and applications that were still pending, as of March 31st, will be decided upon, based on the old legislation. So if you could qualify for CIA and CIAS, merely for being deemed DEC, then those applications should still be successful.

Thank you, BigRex. I was in receipt of CIA/S before, but lost it as I tried to return to the workforce (which didn't work out so well). Hopefully this will be a positive outcome. Fingers crossed...

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 02 Apr 2019, 13:21

Being deemed DEC doesn't automatically grant CIA and CIAS, as they still need to be applied for. And any CIA/CIAS reviews and applications that were still pending, as of March 31st, will be decided upon, based on the old legislation. So if you could qualify for CIA and CIAS, merely for being deemed DEC, then those applications should still be successful.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Apr 2019, 13:03

MikeCeeGB wrote:
Justagrrl wrote:I received a DEC designation in March and was informed by my CM to apply to have my CIA/Supplement reviewed, which I did. Can anyone tell me what the process is now? If I’m DEC, does that automatically qualify me for both the CIA and the supplement? (I’m using the old terms...the new ones are mind boggling)  
Thanks in advance...

Im in the exact same situation. DEC on 25 Feb, applied for CIAS same day. Right now my application is showing Step 3 with no mention of it anywhere in my benefits yet.

Thank you! Mine was submitted later than yours, so I'll just pull up a lawn chair and take my place in line. Sleep Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeCeeGB Tue 02 Apr 2019, 12:36

Justagrrl wrote:I received a DEC designation in March and was informed by my CM to apply to have my CIA/Supplement reviewed, which I did. Can anyone tell me what the process is now? If I’m DEC, does that automatically qualify me for both the CIA and the supplement? (I’m using the old terms...the new ones are mind boggling)  
Thanks in advance...

Im in the exact same situation. DEC on 25 Feb, applied for CIAS same day. Right now my application is showing Step 3 with no mention of it anywhere in my benefits yet.

MikeCeeGB
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Diminished Earning Capacity  (DEC) - Page 4 Empty Process question

Post by Guest Tue 02 Apr 2019, 12:05

I received a DEC designation in March and was informed by my CM to apply to have my CIA/Supplement reviewed, which I did. Can anyone tell me what the process is now? If I’m DEC, does that automatically qualify me for both the CIA and the supplement? (I’m using the old terms...the new ones are mind boggling)
Thanks in advance...

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 23 Mar 2019, 17:25

As the only active moderator, I have to say that once in a while is one thing, but if it happens in every post, I would have no choice but to edit the post. The forum host has rules, that the site must adhere to, and one of them is to watch the language, and if they feel we violate their rules, the site could be turned off, which I do not think anyone wants.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 23 Mar 2019, 17:05

Snowshower wrote:I certainly did not want to start a shit-storm on my first outing here...some people find that "F word" offensive...I find it effective.  Properly used, it can be a great motivator.  Show me a soldier who has never used it, and I will call him Padre...but most Padre's I knew used it frequently.

Hi Snowshower,

Welcome to the forum.

No worries!

I agree, the "F word" is very effective. I don't think many veterans are offended by your language. I'm a good catholic girl and I swear more than my husband and his buddies. I should really curb my potty mouth but sometimes bad words just roll off the tongue.

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar 2019, 16:11

I certainly did not want to start a shit-storm on my first outing here...some people find that "F word" offensive...I find it effective. Properly used, it can be a great motivator. Show me a soldier who has never used it, and I will call him Padre...but most Padre's I knew used it frequently.

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 23 Mar 2019, 15:31

Guest wrote:
Snowshower wrote:Good Morning all...I am brand new to this forum.  By way of introduction, I was a career military policeman with over 30 years of service in all elements.  I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1997, before it became popular.  I received my disability award for PTSD in 2004 from VAC while I was still serving under the Old Veterans Charter.  I continued serving, filled a green passport with stamps from all over the world, including a stint in TFA, until the politics of serving with PTSD arrived in 2013, and I was medically released in 2014 for PTSD.

I was placed on the Voc Rehab Program and I received 2 years of SISIP Benefits until they released me in 2016, because I didn't want to bag-lick a doctor every few months to fill out forums that I had to pay to have filled out.  I walked into the light under the VAC Voc Rehab, and was given the 90 percent top up of my pre-release salary and the Career Impact Allowance.  Under Voc Rehab, there was a requirement for me to see the Shrink and the Witch Doctor on a regular basis.  I explained to my Case Manager that I had been dealing with Shrinks, witch doctors, and headspace and timing checks since 1997, and I was tired of telling the same old story every time they changed my doctors.  I told my Case Manager that I was 55 years old, I had worked my guts out for 30 years, and I had absolutely no intention of ever returning to work, because I am a disruptive arsehole.  My Case Manager told me that she was going to start the process to get me off Voc Rehab, and into a DEC situation.  She informed me that she wanted me to undergo an evaluation by the March of Dimes (yes, that organization with the little white envelopes with a green tree on it that we brought home from elementary school 45 years ago).  For VAC, the March of Dimes is the Gold Standard for Disability evaluation.

I underwent a March of Dimes assessment for my PTSD, and for the Spinal Surgery I had to undergo as a result of beating my back apart from workups and completing 4 or 5 BFT's a year with CFNIS units across Canada.  The March of Dimes folks is very, very motivated to get you assessed.  Once they have you assessed, they send their report to your Case Manager.  In my case, they determined that I was injured to the point that I would never earn 2/3 of my pre-release salary, both physically, and psychologically.  My Case Manager then filled in the requisite paperwork and sent the March of Dimes report to the board.  In record time, I was declared to have a DEC, and I was awarded the Career Impact Allowance supplement until age 65, and taken off Voc Rehab.  I no longer have a mandatory requirement to spew my poison every other week to a witch doctor, and I no longer have a Case Manager, as I am at the tailpipe of the system.  

All of this to say, if you have been diagnosed with PTSD or a disabling injury in the recent, understand that you need to go through treatment to assist you in becoming functional before you can jump up and say you can't do this anymore.  Not everyone who has a disability will get to a DEC.  They are the fortunate ones because their disabilities are not debilitating and they can return to the workforce if need be and carry on with normal lives.  For the remainder of you...I strongly recommend the March of Dimes evaluation if you have an injury that will disable you for life.If you do get DEC, I invite you to join me in the Annapolis Valley, where I now pass my time monitoring handicap parking spots.  You'd be surprised how many people abuse that privilege, and its a great outlet to jack up some arsehole that needs jacking up.

Have a great day out there, and try not to hurt anybody.

I signed up as I often read the posts. No, I will likely not stay long if I figure out how to delete my profile. Smile
I want to thank this individual for writing this wise and well thought out overview of his experience. Especially this para:
Not everyone who has a disability will get to a DEC.  They are the fortunate ones because their disabilities are not debilitating and they can return to the workforce if need be and carry on with normal lives.
My advise if it matters, please review your posts for grammar, accuracy, and anger prior to posting.
I think some people disappear from here to cope.
If you have a doubt, of course, VAC is watching this site.
This helpful site can get VERY nasty and downright cruel at times. Remember saying, "I am sorry "isn't enough for some, after you have flipped out! For very ill veterans with PTSD  it can lead to suicidal thoughts or worse.
Help please do not hinder!
I will not go back to being an observer.  
Or a person watching handicap parking spots for violators!

Are you really trying to advise the forum members to be on their best behaviour because VAC might be reading our posts? Maybe VAC should be concentrating on the back log applications instead of perusing this forum. We have had our fair share of nasty trolls visiting this site trying to stir up its members by posting false information regarding policies and benefits. Some of our regular members will call you out if they suspect that you are not legit. Most often than not, their gut is usually right!
I don't speak for all very ill veterans with PTSD, but as a female veterans with PTSD I prefer not to be cuddled. I get enough of that bull crap at home. I prefer the members to be themselves even if that means they use curse words. There is no shame for being angry or having poor communications skills in your posts. We are here to share our experiences and give support to those who need it. I don't understand why you delete your profile. No one knows who the hell you are.  If you're here to poke the bear, you might want to mosey along, but if you're here to join in our conversations, pick a profile, take a seat and stay awhile.

Cheers,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar 2019, 10:50

Guest wrote:
Snowshower wrote:Good Morning all...I am brand new to this forum.  By way of introduction, I was a career military policeman with over 30 years of service in all elements.  I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1997, before it became popular.  I received my disability award for PTSD in 2004 from VAC while I was still serving under the Old Veterans Charter.  I continued serving, filled a green passport with stamps from all over the world, including a stint in TFA, until the politics of serving with PTSD arrived in 2013, and I was medically released in 2014 for PTSD.

I was placed on the Voc Rehab Program and I received 2 years of SISIP Benefits until they released me in 2016, because I didn't want to bag-lick a doctor every few months to fill out forums that I had to pay to have filled out.  I walked into the light under the VAC Voc Rehab, and was given the 90 percent top up of my pre-release salary and the Career Impact Allowance.  Under Voc Rehab, there was a requirement for me to see the Shrink and the Witch Doctor on a regular basis.  I explained to my Case Manager that I had been dealing with Shrinks, witch doctors, and headspace and timing checks since 1997, and I was tired of telling the same old story every time they changed my doctors.  I told my Case Manager that I was 55 years old, I had worked my guts out for 30 years, and I had absolutely no intention of ever returning to work, because I am a disruptive arsehole.  My Case Manager told me that she was going to start the process to get me off Voc Rehab, and into a DEC situation.  She informed me that she wanted me to undergo an evaluation by the March of Dimes (yes, that organization with the little white envelopes with a green tree on it that we brought home from elementary school 45 years ago).  For VAC, the March of Dimes is the Gold Standard for Disability evaluation.

I underwent a March of Dimes assessment for my PTSD, and for the Spinal Surgery I had to undergo as a result of beating my back apart from workups and completing 4 or 5 BFT's a year with CFNIS units across Canada.  The March of Dimes folks is very, very motivated to get you assessed.  Once they have you assessed, they send their report to your Case Manager.  In my case, they determined that I was injured to the point that I would never earn 2/3 of my pre-release salary, both physically, and psychologically.  My Case Manager then filled in the requisite paperwork and sent the March of Dimes report to the board.  In record time, I was declared to have a DEC, and I was awarded the Career Impact Allowance supplement until age 65, and taken off Voc Rehab.  I no longer have a mandatory requirement to spew my poison every other week to a witch doctor, and I no longer have a Case Manager, as I am at the tailpipe of the system.  

All of this to say, if you have been diagnosed with PTSD or a disabling injury in the recent, understand that you need to go through treatment to assist you in becoming functional before you can jump up and say you can't do this anymore.  Not everyone who has a disability will get to a DEC.  They are the fortunate ones because their disabilities are not debilitating and they can return to the workforce if need be and carry on with normal lives.  For the remainder of you...I strongly recommend the March of Dimes evaluation if you have an injury that will disable you for life.If you do get DEC, I invite you to join me in the Annapolis Valley, where I now pass my time monitoring handicap parking spots.  You'd be surprised how many people abuse that privilege, and its a great outlet to jack up some arsehole that needs jacking up.

I signed up as I often read the posts. No, I will likely not stay long if I figure out how to delete my profile. Smile
I want to thank this individual for writing this wise and well thought out overview of his experience. Especially this para:
Not everyone who has a disability will get to a DEC.  They are the fortunate ones because their disabilities are not debilitating and they can return to the workforce if need be and carry on with normal lives.
My advise if it matters, please review your posts for grammar, accuracy, and anger prior to posting.
This helpful site can get VERY nasty and downright cruel at times. Remember saying, "I am sorry "isn't enough for some, after you have flipped out! For very ill veterans with PTSD  it can lead to suicidal thoughts or worse.

This post only proves my point. Here one minute and gone the next. Right after saying "I will not go back to being an observer".

Something isn't right, members are supposed to request an account deletion, but someone is creating accounts and deleting them almost instantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar 2019, 10:34

Last edited by ReturningChampion on Sat 23 Mar 2019, 10:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sat 23 Mar 2019, 09:43

Thanks Bruce. We are all here to guide, assist and support each other. Although we may step out of line now and then our true intentions must be to assist each other and personally gain from this site. In my personal situation this site has guided me enormously in pursuit of VAC benefits. So thanks to all who have assisted me in this journey (definitely Bigrex and By the Bay).

Airlog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar 2019, 09:37

Good Morning all...I am brand new to this forum.  By way of introduction, I was a career military policeman with over 30 years of service in all elements.  I was diagnosed with PTSD in 1997, before it became popular.  I received my disability award for PTSD in 2004 from VAC while I was still serving under the Old Veterans Charter.  I continued serving, filled a green passport with stamps from all over the world, including a stint in TFA, until the politics of serving with PTSD arrived in 2013, and I was medically released in 2014 for PTSD.

I underwent a March of Dimes assessment for my PTSD, and for the Spinal Surgery I had to undergo as a result of beating my back apart from workups and completing 4 or 5 BFT's a year with CFNIS units across Canada.  The March of Dimes folks are very, very motivated to get you assessed.  Once they have you assessed, they send their report to your Case Manager.  In my case, they determined that I was injured to the point that I would never earn 2/3 of my pre-release salary, both physically, and psychologically.  My Case Manager then filled in the requisite paperwork, and sent the March of Dimes report to the board.  In record time, I was declared to have a DEC, and I was awarded the Career Impact Allowance supplement until age 65, and taken off Voc Rehab.  I no longer have a mandatory requirement to spew my poison every other week to a witch doctor, and I no longer have a Case Manager, as I am at the tail pipe of the system.  

All of this to say, if you have been diagnosed with PTSD or a disabling injury in the recent, understand that you need to go through treatment to assist you in becoming functional, before you can jump up and say you cant do this anymore.  Not everyone who has a disability will get to a DEC.  They are the fortunate ones, because their disabilities are not debilitating and they can return to the work force if need be and carry on with normal lives.  For the remainder of you...I strongly recommend the March of Dimes evaluation if you have an injury that will disable you for life.  If you do get DEC, I invite you to join me in the Annapolis Valley, where I now pass my time monitoring handicap parking spots.  You'd be surprised how many people abuse that privilege, and its a great outlet to jack up some arsehole that needs jacking up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar 2019, 09:01

jimmyB1 wrote:
Bruce72 wrote:DEC is not a fucking reward. It's the last resort. It's calling artillery down on your position.
Thanks Bruce. No one informed me of this, not VAC, not my CM, I couldn't even make sense of the policy.

The thing is jimmy, there has been a lot of activity on CSAT lately by members with no history on the site. My impression from some of these members who create accounts, stir up shit and then have their accounts deleted is that they may be legitimate vets who have been repeatedly denied benefits from VAC and they are looking for short cuts or other mechanisms to find a work around to their denials.

I'm not saying this is your intention.

However, when members, especially new members come on CSAT and compare their situations to other vets situations and critique the experiences of other vets, without all the facts, it pisses me off, because many of us have spent years on this site sharing our experiences and trying to help vets get the benefits they deserve.

I admit, I have been a little out of control lately with my comments. I apologize to any I have offended.

With that being said, protecting the integrity of CSAT and ensuring that legitimate vets with legitimate wounds and injuries get some help here is important to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next