Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran with electronic surgical implant

Go down

Police watchdog finds no wrongdoing after RCMP use Taser on veteran

Post by Guest on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 12:41

Police watchdog finds no wrongdoing after RCMP use Taser on veteran

Report describes complainant playing loud music, calling 911 frequently, talking about "stormtroopers"
By David Burke, CBC News Posted: Nov 21, 2016 9:43 AM AT Last Updated: Nov 21, 2016 11:13 AM AT

A screen capture from security footage at the Purple Leprechaun Roadhouse on Feb. 28.

The province's Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT) has determined RCMP didn't do anything wrong when they used a Taser on a disabled Lunenburg County veteran.

SIRT is responsible for investigating serious events involving police in Nova Scotia. It started its investigation after CBC News featured a story about Bruce Webb of Bayport, N.S., which contained a video of RCMP use a Taser on him.

The incident occurred not long after Webb and his fiancée applied to have their restaurant, the Purple Leprechaun Roadhouse, turned into a lounge. The application, which asked for a zoning variation, was opposed by people living nearby.

In retaliation, Webb allegedly played loud music from the business all day on Feb. 27 and Feb. 28, the SIRT report said.

Neighbours called police to complain. RCMP officers went to the house both evenings, disconnecting an outside speaker and seizing it as evidence. SIRT said Webb was uncooperative with police the first night and refused to speak or meet with the RCMP the second night.

Frequent 911 calls

Webb then began calling 911 to complain about the "theft" of his speaker. During the frequent calls, he said he was a veteran in need of assistance, and reported seeing "stormtroopers in police uniforms."

Based on his strange behaviour and his uncooperative attitude, officers felt they had grounds to take Webb into custody under the provisions of the Involuntary Psychiatric Treatment Act.

Webb was in the Purple Leprechaun Roadhouse when police arrived to take him into custody.

He and his fiancée​ live above the restaurant and Webb uses the space as his living room after hours.

Once inside the building SIRT said Webb resisted attempts to place him in custody. Rather than use additional physical force, officers decided to use a Taser to subdue Webb. He was then taken for medical assistance.

The SIRT investigation determined force used in this case was reasonable and as a result, there are no grounds for charges against any police officer.

Video footage

Video from security cameras show RCMP breaking down the door of the building and having a confrontation with Webb. He takes a swing at an officer and is then knocked down.

The officer takes out his Taser and Webb tells him: "If you Tase me I may die. I have an implant."

Webb has told CBC News he has an implant in his abdomen that's connected by electrodes to his spine. It helps mitigate chronic pain from a leg injury he sustained while playing sports in the military.

One of the officers is heard on tape telling Webb he is under arrest, citing "the Involuntary Psychiatric Act." After a further struggle with police, a Taser is used on the man.

Webb has been charged with assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/bayport-nova-scotia-rcmp-bruce-webb-1.3860044

Back to top Go down

Arrest of disabled veteran didn't justify Taser use, says criminologist

Post by Guest on Thu 28 Apr 2016, 16:23

Carleton University's Darryl Davies believes police used unnecessary force when arresting Bruce Webb

A criminologist says he believes police used unnecessary force when arresting a disabled veteran from Lunenburg County on Feb. 28, 2016.

Darryl Davies, a criminologist at Carleton University, says he thinks it's part of a wider problem in Canada.

"There was no justification for the officers in that situation to use a Taser," said Davies.

Bruce Webb is facing charges of resisting arrest and assaulting a police officer after an incident at his home on Feb. 28. Police say they received multiple 911 calls from the residence, which is why they went to arrest him.

'No justification for deploying the Taser'

An RCMP officer forces the door open and grabs Webb by the shoulder, knocking a phone from his hand.

Webb then attempts to hit the officer.

Three officers are present when one deploys a conductive energy weapon, known as a Taser, to subdue and handcuff him.

"If a large number of policemen are present, and they could have assisted in subduing the individual and handcuffing him, there's absolutely no justification for deploying the Taser," he said.

Davies says he believes police require more training in de-escalating confrontations with the public, and using the minimum amount of force required.

"Ultimately, they have to use judgement and tact. And training is not teaching them that," he said.

Possible SIRT investigation to come

An RCMP spokesperson says the officers behaved correctly and lawfully at all times.

Cpl. Jennifer Clarke says the conductive energy weapon was deployed for the safety of both the officers and of Webb.

The province's police oversight unit, the Serious Incident Response Team, is looking into this incident to see if it falls under its public interest mandate.

SIRT will make an announcement Wednesday about whether a formal review will go ahead.

Webb will appear in court April 27 for election and plea. He has been charged with assaulting a peace officer, mischief and resisting and obstructing a peace officer.

The Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service says Webb had no previous criminal record.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/taser-lunenburg-county-arrest-not-justified-1.3541754

Back to top Go down

Re: RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran with electronic surgical implant

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 16:09

Just keeping CSAT and the folks up in Ottawa up to date on our fellow Veteran.
RCMP+VETERAN= Question needed to avoid similar situations from developing.
Answer= Better situation awareness training. Really gentlemen!.
Smack on the wrist? Disciplinary action?
We are on the same team, calm your horses guys, Tim Horton's is open 24/7
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/sirt-veteran-rcmp-taser-disabled-lunenburg-county-1.3544570
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 08:44

Awesome and thanks for that Rags.
Retraining for sure, what the hell is with that!
A Veteran being kicked while he was down. They didn't have to act like that, I know that for a fact! I executed many warrants and for one, there was no warrant and two, if it is under the mental health act for his safety then they really messed this one up.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Sun 17 Apr 2016, 08:17

Just another example of poor training and RCMP recruiting, little men with small man complex, I got picked on at high school syndrome. In the 60s and 70s we would have dealt with this the next day and that cop would be the guy who was nervous of what would happen to him next. Just another example why Canada needs better gun carrier and self defense laws for the common citizen. The RCMP and Canadian city cops are watching too much US TV. The police need to grow up start acting like they are supposed to before we the public take matters into our own hands as we did in the past when lessons needed to be taught.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 792
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 09:57

While I think that the guy should not have swung at the officer, and he deserved to be put on his backside for it, but everything after that was uncalled for. They outnumbered the man, who was unarmed, and could have handled the situation far better. Was he drunk? probably. After all, he was watching TV with the largest possible beer fridge mere feet away. Was he agitated? Yes, but so would anyone who just had someone, even the police, break through their door and knock something. If the most important thing these RCMP have to deal with is arresting someone who called 911 too many times, and this is how they deal with it, then maybe they are in the wrong line of work. He was not threatening to kill himself, and since he was alone, in his own property, he wasn't a risk to others or their possessions. Since they had been there earlier, they knew that he wasn't a trespasser. When he was tazed, he wasn't making any aggressive moves, in fact he was retreating. That could have been stopped simply by having one of the officers walk around to the other side. This entire scenario was made worse, by the actions of the officers right from the start, by sending three officers banging on a glass door, probably with weapons at the ready, let the guy know that they were not there to talk, so of course he wasn't going to simply let them in. Then to just leave him there on the floor, after he was arrested served no purpose, except to humiliate the man. I hope this gets tossed from court.

So in the end, all this really did was erode public trust in the local RCMP, and possibly even made some people fear calling 911, or face similar consequences.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3376
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 07:47

Mental health act!
Reasoning for their entrance.  
Protecting his wellbeing is number one priority.
Wellbeing is unarmed, Officer uses weapon?
Now you entered his home under the mental health act and aggravated his condition?
OMG-IDK anymore
What a mess.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 07:27

see where I am going with this! it is not funny
Welcome to the new Canada.
No respect! and now you see what we Veterans live through (I included).
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 07:23

WTF! NOT PLEASED< NOT PLEASED AT ALL! >AN ASSAULT ON ONE VETERAN IS AN ASSAULT ON ALL VETERANS.
Really guys!
Back off!
The web of the GOC and now his entangled in a whole different web, hopefully all charges are dropped and get this man some help "if" he wants it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md_j0NeTUiU

Where is the warrant?
So you can come in my house anytime you want?
Nice one!

This almost = dictatorship

Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

RCMP use Taser on disabled veteran with electronic surgical implant

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Apr 2016, 06:23

'If you Tase me, I may die. I have an implant,' Bruce Webb told Nova Scotia RCMP in security footage

A disabled veteran from Lunenburg County says an encounter with RCMP in February left him so traumatized he's scared to open his front door.

"I'm staring out the windows now. If the wind blows, I jump," says Bruce Webb, who lives with his fiancée Lori Fuller above the Purple Leprechaun Roadhouse, a restaurant she owns in Bayport, N.S.

Webb, 53, faces charges of assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, but believes he was the victim in a late night encounter with police on Feb. 28.

Webb says when the Purple Leprechaun Roadhouse is closed, he uses the space as a living room.

He says he'd fallen asleep watching TV in an assisted-lift chair when RCMP arrived.

Video from security cameras inside the restaurant show RCMP officers banging on doors and shining lights through the windows. It was the second time that night police had been at the location.

'Lawful arrest'

Webb says after the first police visit, he'd noticed a P.A. speaker was missing from the restaurant's vestibule. He said he called 911 to inquire if police had taken it, and to ask for its return.

But RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Jennifer Clarke says it went beyond that.

"Multiple 911 calls were received from the property. Police officers attended to make a lawful arrest of that individual," she said.

Clarke says she can't elaborate on the circumstances of the arrest because the matter is before the courts.

Security video shows Webb refusing to let police in while blues music blares in the empty restaurant.

Webb tells the officer he's calling 911. The officer then forces his way in by breaking down the door. There's an immediate physical confrontation.

'If you Tase me, I may die'

The video shows the officer knocking a telephone out of Webb's hand. Webb then swings his right arm, in an apparent attempt to strike the officer.

The officer knocks Webb to the ground and pulls out his conductive energy weapon, known as a Taser.

"If you Tase me, I may die. I have an implant," Webb told the officer in the tape.

Webb says he was scared because of an electronic implant in his abdomen that's connected by electrodes to his spine.

The device helps mitigate severe chronic pain he suffers from a leg injury that occurred while playing sports in the military.

"I didn't know where they were going to shoot me. I didn't know anything," he said.

Webb has a medical marijuana licence, and his cannabis prescription is paid for by Veterans Canada. Webb also says Veterans Affairs paid to install a two-storey lift to help him reach the second-floor apartment where he lives.

He says his disability means he's no risk to the officers. "I have chronic pain. I can't even sit on the floor, let alone be beat around," he said.

In the security footage, the officer continues to yell at Webb as he sits on the floor in front of him, telling him to lay flat on his stomach as two more RCMP members enter.

Officer blocks video camera

One of the officers tells him he is under arrest citing "the Involuntary Psychiatric Act."

A struggle between Webb and the officers continues. As Webb backs away in a seated position, he's shot with the Taser.

"I thought my chest was going to explode. I was just expecting it go 'boom.' That's what it kind of felt like," Webb said.

The video shows Webb lying on the floor for 14 minutes with his hands cuffed behind him, moaning, shouting and weeping.

Webb says officers didn't respond to repeated requests for heart medication.

During this time, one of the officers notices one of three security cameras and twists it to face the wall.

SIRT reviewing case

The RCMP maintain officers behaved correctly throughout the arrest, including the use of a conductive energy weapon.

"What you're seeing on YouTube, the videos that are out there, they're just a small portion of their interactions with this individual," said Clarke.

Webb's fiancée, Lori Fuller, says she can hardly bear to watch the security footage.

"Of course I'd like to see all of the charges dropped. I'd like to see an apology — and I'd like to see something put into place so it can't happen again," she said.

Nova Scotia's Serious Incident Response Team is reviewing the YouTube footage to determine if an investigation of the incident is in the public interest. A decision would take several days, SIRT director Ronald MacDonald said.

Webb charged with assaulting cop

Fuller says the restaurant hasn't re-opened since the incident.

"The business is totally closed, I handed in my liquor license and I'm not renewing my business license," said Fuller.

Webb will appear in court April 27 for election and plea.

He has been charged with assaulting a peace officer, mischief and resisting and obstructing a peace officer.

A spokesperson for Nova Scotia Public Prosecution Service says Webb had no previous criminal record.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/disabled-veteran-rcmp-taser-1.3536610

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down