Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans

+4
bigrex
RCN-Retired
johnny211
Teentitan
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans Empty Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 17:31

On May 9 and 10 the Liberal government held their second Veterans Affairs Canada Stakeholder Summit. We were given a definitive date on through an official email by the minister himself on April 27. Ninety different stakeholders converged on Ottawa to help the government maintain a better relationship with its veterans. The VAC website states that:

"The Veterans Affairs Canada Stakeholder Summits are hosted by the Minister of Veterans Affairs. Through the Summits, the Department engages with stakeholder organizations to discuss issues facing Canada's Veterans and their families. In addition, six ministerial advisory groups are being created as part of his commitment to improve transparency and seek consultation on issues of importance to Veterans and their families. Stakeholder Summit participants include representatives of Veterans organizations from across Canada, organizations that support the Veterans community, as well as Government of Canada representatives including officials from the Office of the Minister of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Affairs Canada, the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman, the Veterans Review and Appeal Board, the Canadian Armed Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and other departments."
The first summit was held shortly after the election and it was truly a harmonious event. The prime minster's mandate letter was publicly released, and its goals were extraordinary. The optimism was palpable. The deputy minister, "Uncle Walt," got up and gave a speech worthy of an Oscar. A raucous standing ovation greeted him at its conclusion. My skepticism in the Liberal government was waning -- at the very least I knew to keep my reservations to myself.

The second meeting did not start as well. Budget 2016 failed to mention a few parts of the mandate letter. Most importantly to me was re-establishing the pension for life and the education bill. Two associate deputy ministers, Bernard Butler and Michel Doiron, began with a PowerPoint presentation in which these two parts of the mandate letter were left off.

The questions at the conclusion began to get more and more hostile. Finally, a stakeholder had enough and announced this was the worst summit he had been to yet and stormed out. A break was called for and we all dispersed for coffee and juice. The tension was apparent and many were starting to think the sunny ways were over.

Shortly thereafter another stakeholder got up and began to speak. His assessment was critical of the government, he called the stake summit a "dog and pony show." After he spoke it was clear that the meetings were going in a very hostile direction.

The minister took this moment to speak and address the concerns brought forward by the two members. His tone was that of a father chastising a child. He claimed that the Liberal government is the only government that has veterans' backs. Then others came to the minister's defence.

Three speakers railed against those that questioned the government, the last of which will be known as one of the most famous veteran advocates of our generation. They supported the minister and chastised those that dared question why. Each shamed everyone to unite behind the same government that wrote the New Veterans Charter and whose last government is known in the military as the Decade of Darkness.

As the poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade" goes, "Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die." It felt like we were being ordered back into formation. Called to attention and made sure our ranks are dressed off.

Each stakeholder that got up and defended the government was a sergeant major, their pace stick tucked under their arm yelling at ranks to shuffle to their right or left. Yet that is not what I take offence to.

While the minister bullied the veterans into discontinuing to voice their concerns, he would have been fully aware of the fact that the Liberal government was going to allow the abeyance on the Equitas lawsuit -- the court case in which the government has been arguing the "moral obligation" they have to soldiers maimed in war -- to run out.

It begs the question why the stakeholder summit was called on such short notice, allowing it to have been held ahead of the announcement of the impending litigation against the soldiers. The biggest piece of the Liberal party platform and mandate letter was the reestablishment of life-long pension, and now they are going to court to argue against life-long pensions.

That would mean that on May 2 when Prime Minster Justin Trudeau was flanked on either side by injured veterans doing one handed push-ups, there is a possibility he would have been fully aware that he was going to be taking those very same veterans to court fighting against what he promised to do on two separate occasions.

I am curious which hand he used to sign the authorization to reopen the case. When he was doing his photo op push-ups surrounded by Invictus athletes, was he thinking about taking the soldiers back to court? Using such a worthy cause defeats the purpose of the games.

There is nothing I hate more in this world than liars. Worse still, there is nothing I hate more than people that pretend to support you when they are about to stab you in the back. At least you can say they have come by their nickname the Fiberals honestly.

Bruce Moncur
Former Soldier, PSW, B.A. History, Windsorite

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/veterans-liberal-government_b_10224950.html

Back to top Go down

Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans Empty Re: Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans

Post by Teentitan Wed 01 Jun 2016, 20:11

Just to let everyone know, that may not know, Bruce Moncur lost 5% of his brain in Afghanistan.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans Empty Re: Trudeau's Liberals Anything But Sunny Ways For Veterans

Post by Teentitan Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:09

This well written article is what vets are going to deal with until the Equitas lawsuit is over.   The Libs knew at their budget they are facing a mountain to bring back the lifelong pension.  And as for that Mandate letter someone should just put it in the outhouse to be put to better use.

I suggest you go to the link and read the comments and you will figure out what Bruce said will be the famous veteran advocate of our generation.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:40

Not to Sunny looking for Veterans!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:53

But to be honest , the government is not denying the pension, so maybe they will bring it in, we really don't know so until they say the pension isn't coming back I believe there's hope. Improvements are coming , maybe slow, but we waited 10 years from the previous government so maybe another couple of months won't hurt us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 02 Jun 2016, 12:28

Navrat I would really like to agree with you but they allowed the Equitas lawsuit to start up again. So the results will depend on the lifelong pension and if the GoC has a sacred obligation with vets. This lawsuit, if approved by the BC courts to become a class action lawsuit, could be devistating to vets.

Yes the Libs have given vets some benefits. But you have to remember the increase to $360k was a court mandated improvement. The increase to 90% looks like a wobble with the base rank now being a Senior Pvt. The 9 DO's have yet to be established as a fully staffed DO or satellite offices. I say good work by the Libs.

Bruce is a very intelligent man. He watches, watches and watches. Then he writes. I've talked with some of the people at the meeting and this is by far the best description of what happened there.

This is by far the most bizarre meeting to date. 90 vet orgs! Not for profit organizations in attendance. Hehr, check that, Walt knew it would be hostile if the same groups (15-20) showed up so they tilted the room to their favor. And it worked for them.

I will be totally shocked if Hehr attends another stakeholder meeting. FYI VAC ministers have not been at stakeholder meetings. But on the other hand I would not be surprised if there is no more stakeholder meetings.

Why?

Well the flip side to VAC tilting the room to their favor in the event of friction is they can use said friction as a reason not to have another meeting. Again the Equitas lawsuit is going to decide this too. If turns into a class action it's going to be an event to watch.

I'll say this and I know it will get some blowback but what the hell....

Working with the Conservatives was hard. But I could call them out and they would do something. Not immediately but eventually. The array of alphabet allowances for instance. They are stubborn buggers to work with but they at least ask for your help and input.

The Liberals are exactly like what Bruce said...Fiberals. You call them out they berate you, smile and give the standard PR speech and walk away with applause from the followers. In the meantime they follow what they have to as deemed by the court. Rebrand allowances and then say what they are going to do but hide the details from us until the last minute then we end up fighting them for years; yes the NVC is what I'm referring to.

Until the Equitas lawsuit is decided the VAC file is in limbo. So it's time to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt and start hammering away at them. JMO.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Thu 02 Jun 2016, 16:12

teentitan - Whats up with Walt, the DM? I quess he is not called smiley Walt for nothing. I quess the old general has been now turned 100%, and has been brainwashed by the machine. I would have thought more from him. But what do i know..VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Thu 02 Jun 2016, 16:58

johnny I wish I knew. It seems he has veered waaaay off point and it is sad that he is starting to become one of those Senior Bureaucrats instead of a veteran in a very important position to help those he once commanded.

Time for Uncle Walt to take a long look in the mirror.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Fri 03 Jun 2016, 01:02

They did this on purpose and these flag officers as ones before them soon forget where they cam from and battle the party line, even when they know deep down it is wrong. They lack courage.
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:01

Unfortunately, it seems too many that reach the higher ranks, are the ones that are more willing to misuse those under their command, when they need to, or stab peers in the back, for their own personal gain. You don't see those who put the welfare of the men, ahead of everything else, get very far in their careers. So by the time someone becomes the CDS, they usually have a long line of people that they have screwed over, either personally, or professionally. So it's not that much of a stretch to believe that once out of uniform, they will continue to protect their own interests first, when push come to shove.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:25

Don't want to go off topic here, but the last posts remind me of something.

Junior NCO's who worked their way up from the ranks to become officers.
Most of them were looked up to very much because they didn't forget where they came from.

They never forgot that shyte does indeed... stink.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jun 2016, 10:38

Lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 03 Jun 2016, 11:00

Let's not forget that Trudeau was born with the Silver Political Spoon in his mouth so stabbing someone in the back is as easy as breathing for him.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Fri 03 Jun 2016, 11:41

Bureaucrats are easily persuaded to follow the party line by receiving huge "performance" bonuses. Uncle Walt seemed like a great choice but it seems he drank the fiberal kool aid. I can just hear it now. You have saved us 20 million this year so here is your 10k bonus Merry Christmas Walt.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 03 Jun 2016, 12:07

Touche'  Teen at 11:00.

What you say rhymes with pickle stabbing Harper and that's an lol.

On the same slant... what's Orange Crush taste like lately?

Wakey Wakey troopers . . .
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next