Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45,000 legal claims pending against federal government

2 posters

Go down

45,000 legal claims pending against federal government Empty Re: 45,000 legal claims pending against federal government

Post by LawnBoy77777 Fri 26 Aug 2016, 17:07

Funny but I think I was part of this. I've been bugging my MP, OVO, CF Ombud, VAC, MVA Hehr, RCMP, CRA, Minister Foote, Senator Colin Kenny, Peter Stoffer, Mercedes Stephenson, VAC Critic NDP MP Irene Mathyssen, Cons VAC critic Alupa Clarke, CF pensions, PS pensions, Manulife, Sun Life, CPP, etc.

bruce72 is right, this mess has come home to roost. Years of neglect & total disregard for our opinions. I'm half afraid they will pass a law to rule out proper Compensation for the theft.

Think of the manuge case. That was THEFT. They took the SISIP LTD payments via an unlawful offset. They had lawyers. They wrote the policy. They wrote the laws saying they couldn't take pension into account but then ignored the laws they created.

For example: Pension Act s. 30(1) & (1.1) say no one can take the pension. Gov said they didn't take it. they just took it into account.

Do you think a pensioner saw it that way? Take it direct or indirect, the vet doesn't get the SISIP LTD he paid for. The Manuge case wasn't about the pension. It was about getting what you paid for. Or perhaps NOT getting what you paid for.

Every province has "no set off" phrases in the WCB laws. WCB = Pension Act.

Canada is a Federation of provinces. Why does Canada ignore what all of the provinces do? They protect the WCB.

LawnBoy77777
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2015-05-02

Back to top Go down

45,000 legal claims pending against federal government Empty Re: 45,000 legal claims pending against federal government

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 12:20

Those responses are really our only options Trooper. Anything else would probably be too drastic or illegal.

These lawsuits are the result of poor governance and neglect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 11:59

Public Protest and the Courts are two things that Veterans should be focusing on moving forward. JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Fri 26 Aug 2016, 10:04

Yes, as well as thousands of other Veteran's whom are upset and (I) am sure that some are even rolling in their graves (deny, delay and die).
Please, pass along the word that we are still awaiting for what the GOC promised and what we (I) voted for, which where the  promises ambiguously given to us by the Libs.

When is it okay to lie to your Veterans?
I guess during elections.

Keep an eye out on these clowns!

Make sure all of the promises the Libs made to the Veterans' community are followed through.
Put plenty of pressure to all in the echelons of VAC and GOC until it is done to our satisfaction (not theirs).
The BS that was pulled on us shouldn't be flying by with anyone, current, former nor our new generation of fighters.
We all standing as one.
Unless your happy?
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 09:04

What a thing to wake up to. I'm wound up like a three dollar watch!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 08:56

What a pathetic government we have always had and still have!

But, we're not going to take it anymore! If we have to sue these clowns into ground, then that's what we'll do!

Back to top Go down

45,000 legal claims pending against federal government Empty 45,000 legal claims pending against federal government

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2016, 08:52

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/litigation-committee-leblanc-lawsuits-1.3736480#commentwrapper

One of the more high-profile cases lately involves a class-action lawsuit by veterans of the Afghan war, who say changes to the benefits regime a decade ago mean they are being discriminated against.

The lawyer representing the veterans, Don Sorochan, agreed with LeBlanc on at least one point: People have been going to court more often because they are frustrated with either the system or the lack of accountability from institutions.

"The real problem is that there is no ongoing access to justice for citizens who are affected by government decisions on a daily basis, and that nothing happens to correct these injustices until there is a huge problem that justifies the bringing of a large and potentially expensive action against the government," he said Thursday. 

But Sorochan also suggested the federal government is often its own worst enemy when it comes to this train wreck of litigation.

"I do not believe this is a matter of one government or another," he said. "Unjust actions take place because bureaucrats know that few can challenge the decisions and that the Department of Justice will be there to stonewall for them."

The Liberals recently allowed the Department of Justice to restart the lawsuit involving veterans — a case that had been put into abeyance by the former Conservative government as it introduced new programs, benefits and services to address the concerns of ex-soldiers.

The Afghan veterans would have been prepared to drop the class-action suit had the Trudeau government confirmed a timetable to implement the promises it made to ex-soldiers in the last election, Sorochan said.

"The response to us was that they would not do so," he said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down