Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kent Hehr on New Services

2 posters

Go down

Kent Hehr on New Services Empty Re: Kent Hehr on New Services

Post by Dannypaj Mon 26 Sep 2016, 06:17

Part Two

Walter C.

Yesterday at 4:26am

Ambushing Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs, Part-2

[the following are not actual quotes but a summary of the "discussion"]

Kent: We've re-opened a number of offices.

Me: No, you've announced the re-opening of those offices. Have any of them been re-opened?

Kent: We're hiring 250 people ...

Me: Of the near-thousand that were fired? How many of them are front-line workers?

Kent: ....

Me: And between the offices and the re-hires, how much of an impact is that going to have when your senior bureaucrats are running the department along insurance-minded, denial-by-design protocols instead of the benefit-of-the-doubt that is at the core of the social obligation between Canada and those who were willing to sacrifice everything?

Kent: We've committed 5.6 .....

Me: No, you haven't, not when the system denies benefits. You've made promises, but they are empty if you aren't willing to allow us to actually access those benefits.

And it was right after this exchange (all paraphrased), that Kent decided to make a comment about Reservists not being worthy of the same benefits as RegF.

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Sep 2016, 13:09

Regarding fun times. I only wish someone had video it and uploaded it utube. That's the kind of interaction he should be getting daily untill he understands our points. "fun times"

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Sun 25 Sep 2016, 06:47

Some fun times with a Veteran and the MVA.
Extracted from The Canadian Banished Veterans Facebook site.

Walter C.

Liberal Party Volunteer Appreciation Party with guest-host Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs.

Kent and his staff certainly weren't prepared for what I had to say when I made my way thru the crowd and got some face-to-face time with him. He tried to use the talking-points. I shredded every single one of them, and countered him with numerous examples of how the system was still failing the wounded, including a very blunt assessment of how flawed the current "fixes" were.

He seemed to be getting quite flustered, and may have spoken a little too off-the-cuff when I challenged him on how Reserve veterans are not being treated the same. His response of "Well, they're Reservists!" as probably the most unfortunate statement that he made. Opened the door for me to challenge him directly on "One Veteran, One Standard". He couldn't seem to fathom the idea that the saying, and the social obligation that Canada has to those who served also applies to the treatment of Reservists.

On the issue of the increase to the Lump Sum, and the constant shadowplay of "giving veterans an option between the Lump Sum and a pension", Kent tried to obfuscate the problem by referring to the Parent's most recent report that called the increase to the Lump Sum a fair solution because it was in-line with what civilians receive. Kent didn't seem to appreciate me pointing out that the very nature of what soldiers do makes any such comparison flawed, since no civilian is required to work in an inherently dangerous environment under a policy of unlimited liability - that soldiers are the only people who are not protected by labour laws.

There were quite a few cameras that came out during my confrontation with the minister - and I'm pretty damn sure that I didn't give anyone a good photo-op moment (frack if I'll be used that way).

At the end, as his staff were trying to usher me aside (with promises that they'll follow up with me on all of the issues that I raised - not holding my breath on that one, and reminded them that I started my "chat" with Kent by pointing out that I'd been trying to speak with him since he was appointed to his position), Kent offered a handshake and the words "Let me thank you for your service". He didn't seem to know how to respond when I refused to shake his hand (because I won't be used as a photo-op), and retorted (paraphrased): "Prove those words, stop dicking veterans around, stop letting the bureaucrats run the show, and give us back our pensions".

Fun times.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Sep 2016, 01:30

I have said this before on my other post about Gary Betmen as commissioner.  The MVA will never understand, he is not a Veteran.  The position demands a veteran in the position.  Pretty clear to me and no senior officers, they are to high up to understand the plight and struggles of the lower ranks have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Sep 2016, 17:38

Our Minister has a lot of nerve to come out and say be patient on the lifelong pension, this promise is the promise that Veterans have been waiting for. Instead of saying be patient, he should have told the truth for once and say that he is waiting for the bureaucrats to make the decision and the implementation. He is a disgrace as being our Minister, he has no Idea how to make a decision on he's own, the public needs to be told just how bad and disgraceful he really is. It's time for him to step aside. If he does not want to educate himself on our file, and does not want to control those bureaucrats, he should step aside, or be replaced.

Saying that we can't run government by lawsuit shows how ignorant, and incompetent he is. What ever happen to he's boss saying in the house of commons when they were in the opposition towards the Conservatives blasting them for the Equitas suit, saying they should stop the law suit now. He's boss is campaign promise, to not fight Veterans in court. He is an embarrassment to he's party. Every time he speaks, he continues to show just how uninformed he really is on our file, it also shows that when he speaks, he speaks for the bureaucrats, not Veterans.

The government enacted the NVC, the so called complexity they claim each time questions are asked about the lifelong pension is all on them, not Veterans. Their the ones who made it complex, not Veterans. Veterans should not have to wait for the bureaucrats to screw us over with what they implement, the government should be ordering a lifelong pension that mirrors the tax free lifelong pension from the old act, period. We all know now that this is not going to happen, not with this present Minister in place, it's doubtful that any Minister from any party will entertain such an Idea. There is a good reason why a lifelong pension has yet to be announced, I doubt it has anything to do with waving a magic wand, or complexity. It's important to remember that a lifelong pension can mean anything, as long as it's lifelong, they have fulfill this particular promise, the Prime Minister, the Minister of Veterans Affairs and most certainly the bureaucrats all know this. The bureaucrats love this, they love the NVC because it secures future work for them, that's why it's in place today. It has nothing to do with securing the well being of Veterans, it has everything to do with securing their own well being, at the same time given public perception that it's all for the well being of, or for Veterans and their families.

Some are happy or at least satisfied somewhat of what is happening with our file, I respect that, but personally, what I see is a continuous show of disrespect for disabled Veterans from past, and present government. Our Prime Minister, nor our Minister of Veterans Affairs is running or handling our file, it is the bureaucrats who run our file, disabled Veterans security and future are in the hands of the bureaucrats.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 17:37

If Minister Hehr doesn't want to run government by lawsuit, then the clear option for the liberals, is to not give anyone cause to sue them for malfeasance. In other words, do the right thing and there won't be issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 16:53

“We’re going to continue to work towards having a clearer option for a lifetime pension and I ask people to be somewhat patient,” Hehr said.

Basically the government is waiting for the lawsuit outcome before deciding what direction they are going to go with the lifelong pensions or not.

“We can’t run government by lawsuit, but we can implement good public policy and that’s exactly what we’re doing and I can say we are very proud of the work we are doing,” Hehr said.

To me the first part of his statement is a back handed insult by him to those who are part of the lawsuit regarding the life long pensions.

Back to top Go down

Kent Hehr on New Services Empty Hehr: Be Patient With Veterans Lifelong Pension

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 16:28

Hehr: Be Patient With Veterans Lifelong Pension.

September 23, 2016

WINNIPEG – Canadian veterans are being asked to be patient when it comes to the re-establishment of their lifelong pension.

Canada’s Veteran Affairs Minister Kent Hehr was in Winnipeg on Friday to meet with new office employees and service members.

He was asked about his party’s election promise to bring back the lifelong pension for veterans after it was eliminated in 2006 by the former Conservative government in favour of a controversial lump sum payment.

“We’re going to continue to work towards having a clearer option for a lifetime pension and I ask people to be somewhat patient,” Hehr said.

There is currently a lawsuit making its way through the courts in British Columbia that was filed by six severely disabled Afghanistan veterans in 2012.

It was halted in 2015 during the election campaign with the hopes that a new government would create new legislation on lifelong pension for veterans, but as of June the lawsuit is back on.

A judge is expected to make a decision some time in the fall.

“We can’t run government by lawsuit, but we can implement good public policy and that’s exactly what we’re doing and I can say we are very proud of the work we are doing,” Hehr said.

The lack of action on the government’s part has not sat well with veterans who preferred the lifelong pension over the lump-sum.

Winnipeg military reservist Harvey Gingras says he took the lump sum of about $93,000.

“You get a large check, does not last very long. Especially people who have PTSD or any psychological problems – impulses spend it. Especially the younger ones who are getting out now don’t really know how to manage funding,” Gingras said.

http://www.inews880.com/syn/107/161101/hehr-be-patient-with-veterans-lifelong-pension

Back to top Go down

Kent Hehr on New Services Empty Veterans Affairs Minister provides update on Department's accomplishments while meeting new staff

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 13:31

Veterans Affairs Minister provides update on Department's accomplishments while meeting new staff.

Government of Canada committed to doing more for Veterans

September 23, 2016 — Winnipeg

The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, joined Veterans and their families, along with newly hired employees in Winnipeg, Manitoba, today to provide an update on the Government of Canada’s mandate commitments to improve the lives of Veterans and their families.

The Minister held a meet and greet Friday morning with more than 50 new frontline and support staff, including case managers, who were attending an orientation and training program. By hiring more frontline employees, the Department will ensure each case manager has a caseload of an average of 25 Veterans.

In 2015-16, the Department has made significant progress in: enhancing financial benefits and wellness programs; reopening Veterans Affairs Canada offices across the country; opening a new office in Surrey, BC; expanding outreach to the territories and other northern communities and; hiring new staff to provide service and care for the well-being of Veterans, members of the Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP and their families.

As part of today’s announcement, Minister Hehr reaffirmed the Government of Canada’s mandate commitment to do more for Veterans. Budget 2016 committed approximately $5.6 billion in additional financial benefits to Veterans and their families, including increased payments under the Disability Award and the Earnings Loss Benefit. Budget 2016 also committed an additional $100 million in support, such as improving service delivery for Veterans and their families.

“I am extremely proud of the work that has been accomplished to this point to help better the lives of our Veterans and their families. Through Budget 2016, we have been able to implement many different initiatives for Veterans, from reopening offices and hiring more frontline employees to enhancing our suite of financial benefits for Veterans. The Government of Canada has made a commitment to Veterans and to Canadians, and we will stand by this promise and continue to work toward a better future.”

The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence

Quick facts
Reopening the nine Veterans Affairs offices that closed is a top priority in the Minister of Veterans Affairs’ mandate letter.
All nine offices will reopen and the new office in Surrey, B.C., will be open by May 2017.
VAC is expanding outreach to Veterans in the territories and other northern communities. Every month, frontline employees will travel to meet face-to-face with Veterans and their families and share information on benefits and inform those who may not be aware.
As of June 2016, VAC is funding a new operational stress injury clinic in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
To date, more than 250 new frontline and support employees have been hired.
Stakeholder advisory groups have been formed to focus on issues facing Veterans including policy, service excellence, mental health, families, care, support and commemoration.
Budget 2016 delivers $5.6 billion in additional financial benefits and takes major steps to treat Veterans with care, compassion and respect.
The Disability Award will increase to a maximum of $360,000 from the previous maximum of $310,000.
The Earnings Loss Benefit will increase up to 90% of a Veteran’s pre-release salary.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1128629

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 22 Sep 2016, 21:33

Was listening to that Kent Hehr audio. He said multiple mandate letters? I thought there was only one mandate letter?  O.K... maybe he tripped and meant multiple issues in the one... mandate letter.???

Regardlng homelessness... Quote @ 07:00 " I know that from experience that without a home people have a very difficult time... " That's really nice...

I do not mean to shred the honourably elected MVA, but perhaps he means some sort of civie homeless thing/experience. HEY! I was never homeless myself. Just very bad.

Homelessness has no criteria. Women, Men, teens, vets, or seniors. No matter who the hell you are.

But an MVA should concentrate on us being veterans. It is his responsibility as OUR elected official. I don't want to hear him talking about his resume or life story.... everyone has one. What HAS he done in his position that wasn't a cakewalk... hmm?

Last edited by pinger on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 21:35; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : little typo)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Kent Hehr on New Services Empty Kent Hehr on New Services

Post by Guest Wed 21 Sep 2016, 15:28

This was posted by our Minister today on he's Facebook page.

After years of cuts under the Harper government, Veterans in Canada are now seeing services restored.

Listen: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/programs/theearlyedition/federal-minister-of-veteran-s-affairs-kent-hehr-on-new-services-1.3741286

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down