Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work

4 posters

Go down

Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work Empty Re: Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:54

I suppose this program may benefit veterans living in Toronto, Montreal or Calgary, where the programs will run, but what about veterans living in other parts of the country?  

Sounds like window dressing to me.

Last edited by bruce72 on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work Empty Re: Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work

Post by pteadams2002 Tue 27 Sep 2016, 08:13

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The Veterans Hiring Act, Helmets to Hard Hats bla bla bla. I am employable, educated and begging to be recognized, respected and treated with dignity in a job that is equal to my position with the Canadian Forces. 10 years later, I am still looking for that pie in the sky opportunity that was promised to me when I was medically released.
Pte Adams
pteadams2002
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2016, 18:03

johnny211 wrote:It could just be me, but I'm reading a bit more into this. "Lets get some of those vets with ptsd/mental disabilities back to work", then we can lower their elb/pia,,etc,etc.. But maybe this old Rad Op is fadeing out again, Out,,VVV...

I believe you are correct johnny211.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2016, 18:02

yup

" Phil Upshall, national executive director of the Mood Disorders Society of Canada, said the idea is to help vets who have fallen between the cracks and need help."

vet I don't think so I'm guessing this is for vets not yet approved for VAC support for a laundry list of dub ass reasons .

johnny kind of but not to lower ELB and the others but so they will stop fighting for these benefits . don't forget only about half of the most seriously disabled vets in this country actually get PIA .

don't want the rest to win enough legal battles in court that they eventually get the benefits they deserve . or worse a rouge VRAB member actually using their own rules and approving benefits for those that deserve and qualify for them that could get very expensive very fast .

just my paranoid opinion

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 26 Sep 2016, 17:31

It could just be me, but I'm reading a bit more into this. "Lets get some of those vets with ptsd/mental disabilities back to work", then we can lower their elb/pia,,etc,etc.. But maybe this old Rad Op is fadeing out again, Out,,VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Mon 26 Sep 2016, 16:58

Sounds like a good idea... but will it actually work?
Kind of like the Federal Governments "Priority Hiring"...
To qualify, you must have been medically released from the forces.
What about all the veterans who released and were deemed disabled due to a service related injury,after the fact, and not able to get their release changed?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work Empty Ottawa gives $2.9-million boost to program helping veterans find work

Post by 6608 Mon 26 Sep 2016, 16:28

From the globe today ..................

OTTAWA — The Canadian Press
Published Monday, Sep. 26, 2016 1:30PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Sep. 26, 2016 1:33PM EDT

The federal government is contributing $2.9 million for a program to help veterans struggling with mental health problems to find jobs.

The money is going to the Mood Disorders Society of Canada to help provide vets with skills training and support they need to find work.

Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr says his department will also contribute in-kind support to the project in the form of promotion, expertise and advice.

The program will provide employment assistance services to vulnerable veterans suffering from conditions such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, or post-traumatic stress disorder.

Participants will get employment placements or assistance to return to school.

The program will bring the federal government, mental health organizations, stakeholder groups, homeless shelters and local employers together to roll out 48 programs, over a three-year period, in Calgary, Montreal and Toronto.

The department says this will complement existing programs designed to help veterans make the transition to civilian life.

“Living with mental health issues can be extremely difficult, not only for those who have them, but also for their loved ones,” Hehr said in a statement.

“This skills training and support project will make a real difference in the lives of the participants.”

Phil Upshall, national executive director of the Mood Disorders Society of Canada, said the idea is to help vets who have fallen between the cracks and need help.

“The program will provide veterans, who have been struggling with employment barriers, with the personal and professional skills to transition into the new normal of living through skills development, employment and renewed community engagement,” Upshall said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-gives-29-million-boost-to-program-helping-veterans-find-work/article32053945/

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down