Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military

+4
bigrex
Dannypaj
pinger
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Empty Re: Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military

Post by Dannypaj Sat 24 Dec 2016, 06:29

This is the biggest cause of suicide upon release (I EXPERIENCED IT), it's not an easy process.
The G.A.F factor is out the window, why?
When unfairly released, well,,
Have fun, the future looks bright.
Keep kicking out Canada's best and brightest from the Forces, maybe then we'll build a better peaceful world....eh!

Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Empty Re: Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military

Post by Dannypaj Sat 24 Dec 2016, 06:12

Some of the strongest amongst us, are our Sister-in-arms.
"A lot of people have reached out just to say thank you for speaking up," she said Friday. "Not a lot of people are willing — or can — put their face out there."
BZ
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Empty DND couriers benefits paperwork to ex-military cop left without income for months

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec 2016, 06:08

DND couriers benefits paperwork to ex-military cop left without income for months

People have 'reached out just to say thank you for speaking up,' says ex-soldier caught in pension pinch

By Murray Brewster, CBC News Posted: Dec 24, 2016 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 24, 2016 5:00 AM ET

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Military-pension-fight-former-cpl-pamela-mcarthur
Retired corporal Pamela McArthur left the Canadian Armed Forces in mid-October and is still waiting for her severance, military pension and veterans benefits.

A single mother who's been without income since she was released from the military for medical reasons 2½ months ago has received an outpouring of public support since CBC News shared her story — as well as a bit of help from the military.

Pamela McArthur, a retired corporal and former military police officer who was released in mid-October without severance pay, military pension or disability benefits, spoke to CBC News last week about her frustration dealing with National Defence and Veterans Affairs.

On the same day CBC News shared her story, officials at the Defence Department couriered the documents she'll need to speed along the delivery of her pension.

McArthur says she's received overwhelming support from both people still in uniform and recently retired members.

"A lot of people have reached out just to say thank you for speaking up," she said Friday. "Not a lot of people are willing — or can — put their face out there."

VETS Canada, a national organization that deals with soldiers in crisis, has been helping to cover some of her expenses and has received specific offers of support from the public.

'When you get out, you're on your own. You're helpless at the mercy of the system.'
- Pamela McArthur

The Liberal government promised to create a smoother exit system for soldiers being released from the military, but documents obtained by CBC News show it will be up to three years before all of the changes are implemented.

Those who retire or are released on medical grounds face a dizzying amount of paperwork and delays of up to a year for benefits and services from both Defence and Veterans Affairs.

There are also backlogs for paying severance and military pensions.

Changes recommended

More and more ex-service members have been left with no income and paying out of pocket for treatment and medications while they wait for Veterans Affairs to decide whether the government will cover their conditions.

A draft implementation plan to overhaul the transition system, obtained by CBC News, shows many recommendations made by the military ombudsman, and some from the veterans ombudsman, are expected to be ignored.

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Guy-parent-and-gary-walbourne
Veterans ombudsman Guy Parent, right, and Canadian Forces ombudsman Gary Walbourne have proposed many reforms to help Canadian Forces members make the transition to civilian life.

Gary Walbourne, the Canadian Forces ombudsman, has repeatedly insisted that Veterans Affairs should automatically accept the military medical diagnosis that ends a soldier's career.

Legislation requires the department force ex-soldiers to submit to a second medical assessment to determine their eligibility for benefits — and whether their condition was caused by military service.

Walbourne says veterans are sometimes denied benefits for conditions that ended their careers in uniform.

He also says soldiers shouldn't be released until their benefits are set up, including pension and severance payments.

McArthur said many of the offices she's dealt with in both departments are "overwhelmed and they tell you they're overwhelmed."

But for veterans who are used to a steady paycheque and the structure of military life, being dropped into the civilian world is a disorienting and frightening experience.

"When you get out, you're on your own," she said. "You're helpless at the mercy of the system."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-pension-single-mom-1.3911295

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Fri 16 Dec 2016, 15:00

I would to butt stroke everyone of them the they would have to fix the gap in there yap always the same old song an dance

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2016, 10:47

Why is it that every single day there's a write up on the failure of the government to look after it's medically released Veterans?

Why is it that we hear the same exact response from those in charge of looking after Veterans, we need to fix GAPS.?

We understand and we are working hard to fix GAPS?

The system is complex, and we need to take our time to get it right?

Why such a huge division among Veterans?

Why is it that we do not hear those frustrations coming from PA Veterans?

Why is it that I'm hearing from Veterans groups and the Minister that there's only a handful of Veterans who are unhappy?

Who is really in charge of the Veteran file?

If you don't know the answer to this, I will give you a hint, (the year 2006.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Fri 16 Dec 2016, 08:47

Veterans Affairs should automatically accept the military medical diagnosis that ends a soldier's career, rather than insisting on doing its own assessment — a system that sometimes sees veterans denied benefits for conditions that ended their military careers.

I still can picture that arrogant smirk on his face.

Pandora's box is opening. NVC does not equal equality. (Women soldiers with mental/physical wounds scared while pregnant that they may lose their ELB,WTF= demonstrates that there is no clarity of the suits of benefits under the NVC )  

Question for CSAT.
I had a lawyer ( disbarred, not sure why )represent me and he failed.  What would you do if you were misrepresented?
I want my case looked at from the beginning.
Dragging and denying me and using me as a Commissionaire in half way house with PTSD, A holes!!!!

Mental health, stop taking all meds? (they control that, as you can see by reducing MMJ unnoticed and without compassion). Why are we being dragged through court for their changes in policies and legislation that we had no say in?
The big fearful SUPREME court (what a money making sham), thousands upon thousands of veterans with social media in the palm of their hands.
THEY ARE ALL IN CAHOOTS
Bitter about a lost career?
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Empty Smoother military exit system for soldiers still years away, documents show

Post by Guest Fri 16 Dec 2016, 07:19

Smoother military exit system for soldiers still years away, documents show

Minister blames backlog on previous 'more teeth, less tail' cuts at National Defence

By Murray Brewster, CBC News Posted: Dec 16, 2016 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 16, 2016 5:34 AM ET

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Military-pension-fight-former-cpl-pamela-mcarthur
Retired corporal Pamela McArthur left the Canadian Forces in mid-October and has been waiting more than two months for her severance, military pension and veterans benefits.

Building a smoother, less confusing exit path for soldiers departing the Canadian military will take another two or three years to implement and will likely not include significant recommendations from the Canadian Forces ombudsman, CBC News has learned.

A draft copy of the strategy shows that many key elements of the Liberal government's overhaul of the system — namely the harmonization of financial benefits — will not take place until the 2018-19 budget year.

That is likely to be frustrating for ex-military members who have been routinely caught up in a system that makes them wait weeks, sometimes months, for Canadian Forces pensions or separate veterans' benefits and entitlements.

A copy of the May 2016 draft plan was obtained by CBC News. It was prepared by a joint working group of National Defence and Veterans Affairs, and says building a bridge between the two departments is a priority.

The 12-page document lays out a complex, multi-year program with the stated intent of making it easier for members of the military to transition from uniform to civilian life through more employment, financial certainty and, in some cases, medical certainty.

'Closing the seam'

Both Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr have been tasked with — and often talk about — "closing the seam" between their organizations.

'I'm a single mother. What do I do? I'm a young person. I don't have the money and I lived paycheque to paycheque in the military.'
Retired corporal Pamela McArthur

The government and outside experts have come to the realization that ex-soldiers, whose transition out of uniform has been messed up, face higher probability of being in crisis.

In some cases, a bad release from the Forces is believed to contribute to higher incidence of homelessness and perhaps even suicide.

The plan does not include some of the most important recommendations recently made by military ombudsman Gary Walbourne, who has said there should be concierge services to guide soldiers through the complex system and to check up on them afterward.

Walbourne also said Veterans Affairs should automatically accept the military medical diagnosis that ends a soldier's career, rather than insisting on doing its own assessment — a system that sometimes sees veterans denied benefits for conditions that ended their military careers.

He also insisted that soldiers not be released until their benefits are set up, including pension and severance payments.

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Military-ombudsman
Ombudsman Gary Walbourne says there should be concierge services to guide soldiers through the complex process of leaving the Forces.

Pamela McArthur, a retired corporal and former military police officer, was released on medical grounds in mid-October and has yet to see her severance pay, military pension or disability benefits.

"I'm a single mother. What do I do?" McArthur said in an interview with CBC News. "I'm a young person. I don't have the money and I lived paycheque to paycheque in the military."

McArthur, who has no income, applied for veterans disability benefits in June, prior to her departure. She was only recently assigned a case manager.

McArthur has been told she'll have to cover the cost of her medication until the government decides on her eligibility, which could take up to a year.

"I don't know if I'm going to be covered. You just don't know," said McArthur, who spent just over nine years in uniform.

'How can people wait this long'

Separately, she has called the Canadian Forces pension line, where a recorded message tells callers not to clog up the answering machine with repeat phone calls.

"So I left a message and I haven't heard anything," McArthur said.

Frustrated and angry for both herself and others, she said the ombudsman's recommendations should be heeded.

"It's horrible, it's really horrible," said McArthur, adding she cannot understand why a systemic overhaul takes so long and why the military and Veterans Affairs cannot have everything arranged for a departing soldier within a six-month window prior to their last day.

"How can people wait this long? It just doesn't make any sense."

Stop cutting loose ill, injured soldiers too early, ombudsman tells military Halifax-security-forum-20161118
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says the backlog has been caused by the former Conservative government's deficit reduction plan that forced the military to make 'difficult decisions.

Sajjan said he is also upset with the current state of the system. His department has put more resources into fixing the problem, he said, but concedes it's not enough.

According to Sajjan, the previous Conservative government's focus on cutting overhead at National Defence is to blame.

"We have had this backlog because there were very little resources put to pensions," said Sajjan, referring to former prime minister Stephen Harper's demand that the military have "more teeth and less tail" in terms of bureaucracy.

"The military had to make some difficult decisions when the deficit-reduction plan was brought in by the previous government to balance the budget. Now we're dealing with the impact of those decisions."

Officials at the Defence Department insist they are working on solutions and hope to have a system in place to guide soldiers through transition.

Canadian Forces spokesman Lt. Kelly Boyden said they will run a pilot program called "Guided Support," which "would serve as a media-of-choice gateway to benefits and services."

But Boyden's email response did not define precisely what that means.

'Basically, we're just a number'

A clue, however, can be found in internal documents obtained by CBC News.

According to a one-page briefing note, dated last week, senior officials at National Defence are expected to debate on Friday three proposed "courses of action" to help close the seam.

The centrepiece of the proposal that will go before Maj.-Gen. Wayne Eyre, the deputy commander of military personnel, involves the establishment of a single "web-based portal" for soldiers that allows them to set up transitions accounts where all of the details of their departure can be accessed.

In addition, the military would build transition centres that have a better ability to "triage" soldiers coming through the door, many of whom might have complex health concerns and pension issues.

McArthur said she feels there is no sense of urgency or understanding that people's lives are at stake.

"Basically, we're just a number, a piece of paper, and hopefully they'll get to you."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-release-overhaul-1.3899044

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 14 Oct 2016, 16:31

Teen wrote " That is the medical examination VAC does not want to use because they want the civy street equivalent medical examination which most of the time is way lower. "
Well, at least that makes some kinda sense albeit in a bad way for us.
Now why did bureaucrats just cross my mind . . .
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:31

One thing I forgot to mention on why the DND doctors report is the single report needed.

As a member of the CF the health standard is higher then civy street. That said an injury in the CF that ends your career is looked at by the CF way different then a job on civy street.

That is the medical examination VAC does not want to use because they want the civy street equivalent medical examination which most of the time is way lower.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2016, 21:53

well pinger that's the big question isn't it . I mean if you apply for a pension after release you either get assessed by a DVA doctor or in most cases by your doctor . that seems to be the case around here anyway . if you are still serving however different story . you apply for a pension around here while you are still serving . your military doctor will do the assessment in VERY FEW cases where most will be done by the VAC doctor down in st johns.

I think it has to do more with a plausible means of fracking us over .

when the military does your assessment and links your condition to service in the military its really fracking hard to deny because then it is fact not a third party doctors OPINION .

DVA and VRAB do NOT want military doctors doing assessments for DVA claims I mean how the frack are they gonna get their bonuses up that way ? I mean the denial deushes gots ta get paid to don't they ?

truth be told the mil doctors don't want to do it either to much work load already . they don't mind doing it from time to time and are outstanding at it . from what I seen the only extra staffing required to do EVERYONE releasing from Gagetown would be one extra doctor and one extra social worker type . no need to change the system they put me through it was outstanding .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 13 Oct 2016, 20:29

Wouldn't it be nice if things were so much simpler.

Maybe yes, and maybe no, but just another can of GoC worms to me.

So where's the solution? "streamlining" ? (sorry I just gagged). A card? Mmm...

I was injured bye bye while serving and was documented. Never gave a rat's xxx.
And released after 5-ish.

What really peeves me off is this dis-connect though.

WHAT IN BLAZES DO VAC/ AND/OR THEIR DOCTORS NEED TO RE-VALIDATE DND DOCTORS FOR ?
PRAY TELL . . . ?
IS IT THEIR INTEGRITY ? Sorry for the emphasis but it just seems very fracking retarded to me.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Oct 2016, 14:35

that's what happened with me teen the DND doctors so IN FACT the DND itself said my issues WERE service related because they were applied for while I was still in the military AND still had a military doctor . no third party doctor connecting incidents to resultant conditions but the military itself saying ya that condition was cased by this incident so that's on us .

they had all the paperwork in file drawer and even though I would never use them and told them point blank why the had me talk to a service officer from a vets org just to touch base so I know what they do in case I may need them down the road .

no need to get a solution teen IT IS already in place they just NEED to use it for EVERYONE .

this is why I don't get the crap coming out of the MNDs mouth saying he cant do it . it IS IN FACT being done already just not for everyone .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 12 Oct 2016, 13:17

And what better way to get that solution propat then have DND doctors discussing injuries with VAC adjudicators who only tick off boxes?

Rex it's going to be a slow procedure that has to be accepted mainly by VAC. How many years have we said why isn't the DND doctors report the only medical report needed?

I look at having a ghost file at VAC being a tune up for VAC. We are not a workman's comp claim. We have been broken by DND and they don't need us anymore! So this is the medical starting point.

Not going to another doctor who hasn't got a feckn' clue what we do in the DND. That's the medical decision VAC uses.

I can see why Hehr is adamant against the idea of a veteran card because they know ABSOLUTELY NO ONE FALLS THRU THE CRACKS.

We have to remember here ladies and gents we are the voice of experience for our younger military. Do we want them to go thru the same meat grinder we went thru to a claim approved?

This forum is not only about getting money it's about making life easier for the next generation of veterans....hell look at what the Afghan vets are going thru a lawsuit just to argue Canada does have a sacred obligation to their veterans!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Oct 2016, 07:27

thing is DND doctors right their reports as usual NOT as they are speaking to DVA linking everything they treat to a military accident or incident . however if the member is in the military that is exactly what they do if in fact that ongoing back problem they have been treating was caused by incident A witch they initially treated .

boys I seen a social worker type person in the MIR they were part of release section and at least for me she wasn't just checking boxes . she told me if she didn't sign off on my file I couldn't be released .

she did her job fantastically and I was released they way EVERYONE should be .

cards and mandates be dammed I say . the solution to the problem and the type of personnel and structure are already in place to do the job that needs doing .

they just need to do it for everyone . might need the slightest of tweaking if any and a small staff increase but the solution is already in place it just needs to be used properly .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 12 Oct 2016, 06:47

Personally I think that says less about DND and their ability to determine the cause of injury, and more about VAC and their culture of delay and deny, because they will almost always refuse to accept the medical opinions of the doctors who actually treat the soldier or Veteran, even if it's fully within the power to do so. They may take that statement into account when making their final decision, but they will never make a decision based solely on it, which is just wrong.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next