Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can someone give me the quick and dirty on CPPD?

5 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Can someone give me the quick and dirty on CPPD? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can someone give me the quick and dirty on CPPD?

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2016, 23:57

GREAT STUFF VET ya want you to know in advance if you get retro witch I expect you will owe a lot of it for overpayments . I recommend putting the retro in a separate account and don't touch it till the payments are made so you don't find yourself in a spot .

as for the DTC and the RDSP bud ya got to get on them ASAP in my opinion I did and maxed out every rear on the RDSP buds its like free money .

in your position you should get retro on the DTC tax rebate on past years . I'm guessing that should be around enough to top up your RDSP back to 2008 if not it will not take a lot more and if you kept the remaining amount from the CPPD retro after making those overpayments in that separate account their will be a lot more than enough to cover any difference plus top you up for a years into the future .

I very well understand dealing with VAC some know what they are doing but many don't resulting in different answers to the same question .its total insanity sometimes .

if you are entitled to benefits they are yours . GO GETEM !!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Can someone give me the quick and dirty on CPPD? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can someone give me the quick and dirty on CPPD?

Post by Vet1234 Fri 30 Sep 2016, 20:03

Thanks ProPat.
When I called the CPPD people today, I expressed my concern about eligibility since I have been on Rehab for over 5 years and wasn't sure of my CPP contributions / deductions on the withhold portion of my ELB. He told me that they will look at the 6 years prior to my VAC Rehab and that I had maxed my contributions in those years. Also, CPPD should help with my DTC and I would be able to access RDSP grants. I'm not sure if my RRSPs and RDSPs would be used to offset RSIB when I'm 65 though..
I'm going to apply for everything I'm eligible and entitled to. I submitted a complaint to the Vet Ombudsman with respect to denying my PIA with "no current assessment(within 2 years)" and they said that they would fast track the complaint because it will be 12 months since my initial application in November and VAC policy says they can only do 1 year retro.
Honestly.. I feel very frustrated with VAC and the bureaucracy.
I don't get straight answers or the truth when I deal with them.
I really appreciate all the vets on here. I feel comfortable, safe and I really believe we have each others backs.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2016, 19:00

big rex I don't agree buds looking into the future is just a prediction but as it stands now my RISB calcs have me receiving nothing from it before I add CPP with the new 90% ELB thus I would effectively loose all of my CPP if I didn't apply for it and its my GUESS the average vet would not loos the entire amount to RISB but a portion of it .

again everyone's situation is different .

and that's also assuming that the RIBS will still be around when you hit 65 .

politicians don't mind fracking over vets due to the small demographic but CPP deals with the general public that I'm willing to bet will be there if anything else it will be improved .

yup the libs said they would not touch the cons benefits .

will they be in power when you hit 65?

if so do you trust ANYTHING a politician says ???

your roll of the dice I suppose .

I say its a no brainer .

apply apply apply !!!!!!!

years ago when I was telling everyone to apply for everything , constantly I might add I got a lot of these exact same arguments about 2 programs CPPD and ELB .

and non of the detractors could tell me how receiving these benefits would hurt them .

in the end most listened and applied for all the benefits they are entitled to . some did not I imagine . the ones that didn't I imagine regret that when it comes to ELB but not a big because they can get a redo .

CPPD is time sensitive if you don't apply in the proper time frame you may not get a redo .

like I said a no brainer but with a guy with 30 years till 65 and 5 kids wholly frickity frack .

APPLY EARLY APPLY OFTEN !!!!

APPLY APPLY APPLY !!!!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 30 Sep 2016, 18:33

WTH!! Thanks for the policy BigRex!
I honestly wasn't going to take it any further, I'm glad that I did.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 30 Sep 2016, 18:24

Once again this is an example of VAC staff either not reading, or not comprehending their own regulations.

"22 The following sources are prescribed for the purpose of the amount of variable B in subsection 19(1) of the Act:

(a) [Repealed, SOR/2012-195, s. 1]

(b) benefits payable under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act, the Public Service Superannuation Act or the Employment Insurance Act;

(c) benefits payable under the Canada Pension Plan or the Act Respecting the Québec Pension Plan other than amounts payable for a dependent child;

(d) benefits payable under any employer-sponsored long-term disability insurance plan;

(e) benefits payable in respect of economic loss under the Government Employees Compensation Act or any provincial workers’ compensation legislation;

(f) amounts payable in respect of economic loss arising from legal liability to pay damages;

(g) amounts payable under an employer pension plan;

(h) employment earnings payable while the veteran is not participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister or where the veteran is participating in such a plan and the sum of the earnings loss payable for a month plus the employment earnings for the month exceeds the veteran’s imputed income; and

(i) 50% of employment earnings payable while the veteran is participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister so long as the sum of the earnings loss payable for a month plus the employment earnings for the month does not exceed the veteran’s imputed income."
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 30 Sep 2016, 14:54

UPDATE:

Just spent some time on the phone with the CPPD Dept. at Service Canada.

Dependent benefits are paid TO THE DEPENDENT via their parents.
Each dependent child will receive $237.69 and be issued a tax certificate including their SIN which states that the benefit was paid to the child.
If you receive CPPD and apply for your children, the amounts will be combined into a single deposit into the applicants account. It is also possible for the children's non disabled parent to apply for the children referencing the disabled parents CPPD eligibility. In that case, the children's amount could be paid separately into another account.

After the clarification from Service Canada, I called VAC and spoke with the intake worker who fielded my question. When we first spoke, he said he was new and wasn't sure, so he would ask a colleague... The colleague, a veteran CM, gave him the information that the child benefit would be deducted from the members ELB. I re-educated him and stated that Veterans call to find out about services and benefits and take what they say as fact and seriously. I informed him that just a few months ago, I would've taken his word and not pursued the matter since it would make no difference in benefits for my family. That being said... I have 5 dependent children under 18 in my home. Mistakes and misinterpretation would have just excluded this Veterans family from $1200/ monthly that we were eligible.

VAC really needs a wake up call. In my opinion, that's unacceptable.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 30 Sep 2016, 12:53

I just spoke to an intake worker at VAC and asked if the dependent amount from CPPD would be clawed back from E/ELB and they confirmed that it would be...

That doesn't make sense to me because http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/cpp/child.page
states:

A child may be eligible if the parent or guardian:

has met the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contributory requirements
is receiving a CPP disability benefit or has died.

If the child is under the age of 18, the benefit is normally paid to the person with whom the child is living. However, in some cases, the benefit can be paid to the child who has applied.

how can they clawback money that is intended and PAID to a child?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 30 Sep 2016, 11:43

As it stands now, other than the dependent amounts, there is no real reason for anyone on EELB to apply for CPP(D). CPP(D) gets deducted from ELB, and once you turn 65, CPP will be deducted from your RISB. For me, there just isn't enough of a gain, if any, to justify the possible headaches that applying could cause.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2016, 06:04

With respect to the CPP/QPP Clawback at age 65 , all members receiving a CFSA annuity/CPP a couple of Months prior to their 65th birthday will receive a letter from CF pensions notifying them of the CPP/QPP Clawback which will take effect on their 65th birthday.

All members who are receiving a CFSA annuity and start to collect CPP/QPP on their 60th,61,62,63,64 birthday will not be affected by the CPP/QPP Clawback until their 65th birthday.

All members receiving a CFSA annuity and qualify and or are receiving CPPD/QPPD will have their CF pension Clawed back the day in which your CPPD/QPPD starts.

Q5. What should I do if I start to receive a CPP/QPP disability benefit?
You should advise National Defence Headquarters, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0K2, attention: Canadian Forces Pension Services as soon as possible and provide them with a copy of the CPP form “1808 Notice of Entitlement” or QPP “Avis d'Acceptance”. Canadian Forces Pension Services is periodically provided with a list by the CPP/QPP authorities which advises them of all CFSA annuitants who have been awarded disability benefits. However, they often receive this advice several months after benefits have commenced. As the pension reduction is effective the date that disability benefits are awarded, the reduction must in such cases be applied retroactively. This often creates an overpayment of benefits which then must be recovered from the annuitant. It is therefore best to advise Canadian Forces Pension Services as soon as you receive the “Notice of Entitlement” or “Avis d'Acceptance”. These forms are included with the first CPP/QPP cheque.

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/forces-pensions/faq-eng.html#a4

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 21:54

propat wrote:vet the biggest reason to apply is that if you are on CPPD your CPP level is effectively frozen and your CPP payments at 65 will be pretty good relatively speaking . if you got a long way to go till 65 and pay little or nothing into CPP then that will reflect on your CPP calculations and you may end up with little to nothing .

propat

Thanks Propat. I'm 35. I dont expect to make anymore CPP contributions. Good to know.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 21:51

1993firebird wrote:No , ELB is clawed back by CPPD as CPPD is considered income. The dependent portion is there income not yours.

I have 5 kids, that's good to know. thanks
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Sep 2016, 21:41

vet the biggest reason to apply is that if you are on CPPD your CPP level is effectively frozen and your CPP payments at 65 will be pretty good relatively speaking . if you got a long way to go till 65 and pay little or nothing into CPP then that will reflect on your CPP calculations and you may end up with little to nothing .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Thu 29 Sep 2016, 21:07

No , ELB is clawed back by CPPD as CPPD is considered income. The dependent portion is there income not yours.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 19:32

why would someone apply for cppd if it were clawed back by elb?
do they claw back the dependent portion?
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird Thu 29 Sep 2016, 19:28

Your EELB will be clawed back , PIA/S in not affected and I do not know about impact on CPP when you come of age.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next