Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ELB Class Action Law Suit

+5
meteck
pinger
Rifleman
bigrex
Teentitan
9 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

ELB Class Action Law Suit  - Page 5 Empty Re: ELB Class Action Law Suit

Post by bigrex Sun 08 Jun 2014, 12:43

Well if it is, SISIP staff are either unaware of it, or willfully lying to Veterans. When my LTD was ending, and was told that I was not totally disabled, i asked the question. I knew, that since I have a degenerative disease in both knees and back, it was only a matter of time before I would need assistance in the future. I even had a doctor once tell me that it wasn't if I would end up in a wheelchair, but when. So I asked my SISIP CM, if I could start collecting LTD again, once my conditions deteriorated, and was told that once my file is closed, it is closed.

I was lucky enough that my medical conditions were service related, so was eligible for ELB, once I could no longer force myself to work, but I don't want to see other veteran suffering from severe career ending disabilities, not be taken care of, just because they weren't disabled enough, at the time that their LTD ended.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 08 Jun 2014, 12:05

I believe that rule is in the SISIP policy Rex.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:24

Thanks bigrex and propat for delving into the LTD and ELB nuances - it has really made it easier to digest and understand the issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sun 08 Jun 2014, 08:06

Tx for the clarity rex. You describe LTD as the mirror of ELB which I've often heard.  24 months just like ELB, if your deemed really banged up then you get LTD/ELB extended. I don't think one would wait until month 23. My whole scenario took around 3 - 4 months to finalize.
You raise an interesting point though...
What I would like to see, is that at anytime during their life, if a Veteran becomes completely disabled, due to the non service related medical condition that prompted their medical release, then they should be able to have their SISIP LTD reinstated.

Example, a good friend of mine did break his neck in a MVA no fault of his, was paralyzed, luckily he improved and can sort of walk now. Whats he getting? A couple of grand per month for 5(?) years at which time he can cash out his settlement of around 500G. End of story and no going back to the insurance co. in the future even if he deteriorates.
The age 65 cut-off has got to go, make it for life and it would be closer to the old PA. No more post-65 horror stories. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 07 Jun 2014, 22:04

One of the recommendation is that everyone who is medically released for a service related injury, would go on the ELB, and everyone who were medically released for non service related injuries, like say, injuries sustained in a car accident, would receive SISIP benefits. But with SISP, the policy states that once approved, LTD is only collected for immediate 24 months following the release, and if deemed completely disabled, LTD continues until age 65. But currently that determination of completely disabled has to be made before the 24 months elapses, or the benefit ceases. What I would like to see, is that at anytime during their life, if a Veteran becomes completely disabled, due to the non service related medical condition that prompted their medical release, then they should be able to have their SISIP LTD reinstated.

basically, this would be a statement from the Government of Canada, that would say that no severely disabled Veteran should ever be left destitute, in recognition of their service.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 07 Jun 2014, 21:39

Hey bigrex,
I know diddly squat about sisip, so excuse my ignorance just paid their premiums a long time ago. But it gets complicated.
Why can't they make it simple? SISIP is like a civie insurance company (voluntary) or is it still mandatory? For off duty stuff i.e.roofing your house, fall and break your neck, sisip should come into play. If you are on active duty and have an injury? No sisip. Just dnd, and vac should cover you at that time and in the future.
But it can be confusing. Maybe someone broke their neck twice before they joined, no 5/5 for them. The sisip time restrictions sound like a insurance clause. Too bad some of us can't pick a different insurance company. The goc is trying to re-coup theirs... pinger.

pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 07 Jun 2014, 20:04

I agree pinger, I have never like seeing them put a maximum, without also provided a minimum. Are they going to continue to use the $42000 amount? Except instead of 75% of $42000, will it be 85% of the net amount from $42000.

One other thing they should do during this process, is if they change both ELB and SISIP, so that only those with non service related injuries get SISIP, I think they should take the opportunity to remove the SISIP time restrictions of having to be completely disabled within the initial 24 months to collect ongoing benefits. So if a Veteran with non service related injuries finds himself unable to work, even if several years later, due to their disabilities, they should be able to re-apply and collect SISIP again, with the only prerequisites being, their medical release and being deemed completely disabled.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Sat 07 Jun 2014, 19:14

Very well said meteck and bruce,

Please excuse me if I'm not current with the "moving forward" NVC just released. Haven't put it under my scrutiny yet. Bruce, my elb is the 40 or 42 grand or 75% gross minus deductions by a few thousand. That is the minimum, it is supposed to be a "gauranteed minimum".
   Now I hear about an 85% net, I've heard 90 and I've heard 100% recommended. I didn't see any 85% minimum recommended in the NVC Moving Forward just released when I read it quickly, maybe I'm blind somewhere? Extending elb for life instead of being cut off at 65 is much more relevent to all of us than percentages, gross or net IMO. But god know the smoke and mirrors attached to it.
   But then I did read this....
Pursuant to Standing Order 109, the Committee requests that the government table a
comprehensive response to this report. A copy of the relevant Minutes of Proceedings (Meetings Nos. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16,17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 27) is tabled.

A comprehensive response to a report? I feel like thowing up. The report is a history book! Does that response equal some vote on Jan. 2015 (?) or does it go circular for more years? Enlighten me because I don't trust the bast***s. At all. I must be missing something...

Meteck
i honestly tell my better half all the time just how lucky in was to have someone in the va who knew the nvc was crud,even back in 2005,,and pushed me to get my initial claim for my back and for my knee before april 1 2005..i made it by 2 days....changed my life,,,i cannot stomach it when I hear or read about soldiers struggling for 5 or 10 percent for their injuries and the hassal some seem to go through to get that far...I have been witness to both the good and bad of the nvc
   I am also old, new and tell the same thing to the wife meteck. I'm kind of okee-dokee. A lucky freck. I met a few other folks on the hill that made out o.k. too. But we were there for other sisters and brothers. i.e... what the hell did I ever know when I was 18 or 25 years old? Nuff said. pinger.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 07 Jun 2014, 17:19

ya make it 2 meteck.

STOP THE BUYOUT NOW!!!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by meteck Sat 07 Jun 2014, 16:53

thanks....and with rock the hill being successful in putting issues like caregivers rights and nvc shortcomings perhaps fantino will do what the usa did and pass the improvments asap...jan 2015 is poor at best...if he wants vets to stop screaming at him he best be proactive..and 30000 for 10 percent is sad,,,,i get 275 a month for my back at 10 % and ive been kind as it is a piece of crap m,ost days,,i honestly tell my better half all the time just how lucky in was to have someone in the va who knew the nvc was crud,even back in 2005,,and pushed me to get my initial claim for my back and for my knee before april 1 2005..i made it by 2 days....changed my life,,,i cannot stomach it when I hear or read about soldiers struggling for 5 or 10 percent for their injuries and the hassal some seem to go through to get that far...I have been witness to both the good and bad of the nvc,,but make no mistake the fact I have a monthly pension for life makes the fall a little easier to take when my college is over and im turfed out into the world...with vip services and having my health taken care of the nvc has done well for me..unfortunately I am the exception and not the rule..there is much to this nvc that needs to be revamped but the ultimate winner or loser will be the side that wins on going back to a REAL MONTHLY pension debate..if gvmnt doesn't change it,,and im betting on that..then veterans from here on forward will become a different breed of soldier..watch and see....and that gentlemen is one mans opinion nothing more

meteck
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 04 Jun 2014, 15:27

Hey you're not a veteran until you have been totally frustrated. But honestly your language has been very decent and you have toned it down a lot.

But remember there is two threads where you are allowed to let her rip and not have to use the approved words of: shyte and feck (including various forms of feck...motherfecker, feckn, feckup etc)

Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jun 2014, 15:21

I want to apologize to everyone for my use of language and my behavior here on CSAT.  I'm going to honestly try and tone it down.  I'm extremely frustrated, that's all I can say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Jun 2014, 13:50

This report has been endorsed by all three parties and championed by Mr. Hawn a conservative mp, it's going to be passed but when looking at it are we really better off, the only thing that is good is the post 65 ELB but with a lower ELB rate because of the new calculation, 85 percent of net

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:53

Meteck, the current award for a 10% disability is 30127.53, minus whatever they have already paid you for your hearing.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:48

If there was something in the omnibus bill going thru the House right now a veteran organization would have found it. So I wouldn't put too much hope in that meteck.

10% right now under the NVC would be around $29,000. Don't remember the exact full amount of the NVC right now as any percentage is based on that number.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next