Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour

3 posters

Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty Vet who challenged Trudeau in London, Ont. denied caregiver allowance

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jan 2017, 05:56

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Cbclogo_sprite

Vet who challenged Trudeau in London, Ont. denied caregiver allowance

Joseph Angelini was injured by a roadside bomb while serving in Afghanistan

CBC News Posted: Jan 20, 2017 6:10 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 20, 2017 6:19 PM ET

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Town-hall-london-military-vet
Veteran Joseph Angelini tells Trudeau his father pays for groceries because his pension cheques have not arrived.

An Ontario veteran who confronted Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about his missing benefits has finally heard from Veterans Affairs, and said the answer left him in tears.

Joseph Angelini, 33, served two tours in Afghanistan and was injured in a roadside bomb attack.

Last Friday at a town hall in London, Ont. he asked the prime minister why it had taken him months to get a pension cheque.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Joseph-angelini
Angelini served two tours in Afghanistan

He also raised concerns about waiting to hear if he'd get benefits for his parents who retired to care for him — both physically and financially.

Angelini got an answer earlier this week and said he hasn't been able to sleep since.

In a phone call, his case manager told him his application for a family caregiver allowance had been denied.

"I don't understand," he said. "It was devastating."

I've already fought my war, I shouldn't have to fight Veterans Affairs now
- Joseph Angelini

Veterans Affairs tells CBC News they cannot comment on specific cases, but to qualify for the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit, an applicant's need for care must be connected to their disability and expected to last at least 12 months or more.

Angelini said he doesn't fault Trudeau —the prime minister promised to look into his pension file and Angelini said his file was expedited after the town hall — instead, his frustration is with Veterans Affairs.

"I've already fought my war, I shouldn't have to fight Veterans Affairs now... I should have to worry about getting better, and it seems the majority of work I do is running around for Veterans Affairs to just be told no."

Angelini said he isn't asking for more than he's entitled to, he just wants his parents to be given a hand with helping him and to be recognized for everything they do for him.

The veteran says he will take his case to the second level of appeal in hopes he'll finally receive assistance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/london-veteran-denied-benefits-1.3944433

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty CALGARY TOWN HALL WITH PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jan 2017, 16:09

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Hoc-arms-small

CALGARY TOWN HALL WITH PRIME MINISTER JUSTIN TRUDEAU

January 18, 2017

Tuesday, January 24th,  you are invited to meet the Prime Minister at a regional town hall at MacEwan Hall for a discussion about the issues and subjects that matter to you and your family. This tour is an opportunity for the Prime Minister to remain connected with Canadians and engage with them across the country, at home in their communities. The Prime Minister wants to hear from you about how you are feeling as we enter the New Year. The advanced registration is now closed, but there will be extra seats open to the public and doors open at 6:30PM!

LOCATION: U of Calgary- Macewan Hall, 424 Collegiate Blvd NW Calgary, AB T2N 4V8

TIME: Doors open to the public at 6:30PM

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty Re: Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour

Post by pinger Tue 17 Jan 2017, 18:06

Yup . . . aka the squeaky gets the grease. Pretty damn sad.
Just a crossing thought at "Trump has a love for using twitter and Trudeau loves selfies"

There's a very shiny magazine they'd both love Teen... 100 pages of reynolds wrap they could both read and reflect their narcissism with.
Truth be told, there really is more to it than just the photo op reflection though.

Money talks. / Bullshyte walks. Period.
Find / help the vets that are hurting.....

And  to (VaC / GoC).... for God's sake, don't go on another frackin' idiotic REVIEW wild goose chase in the meantime either.

Sorry for the ranting folks.

Last edited by pinger on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 21:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : an addition)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty Re: Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2017, 17:59

Well all I can say is that if it takes the head of our Country to move on an issue on our file: Veteran's file fast-tracked after emotional plea to Trudeau in London, Ont. something is wrong with the way our file is being handled.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:05

This cross country tour is a lot like the Mandate Muppet's pre-opening of DO's this past summer...a useless exercise in getting 'real' info but fantastic photo ops.

Hey Trump has a love for using twitter and Trudeau loves selfies.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2017, 09:19

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/justin-trudeau-town-hall-dartmouth-1.3937805

Veterans' care

One highlight from the night included a question from retired lieutenant-general and former senator Roméo Dallaire, who asked about care for veterans.

"Can you continue to amend and to bring forward programs that will be proactive in reducing the casualties amongst the serving members, amongst the humanitarians, the diplomats, and also the first responders who have to respond to some of these terrible catastrophes?" Dallaire asked.

Trudeau said every brave person who serves Canada is "owed the utmost duty of care from this country and it is something that we have started to rectify, but there is still much more to do."

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty Veteran's file fast-tracked after emotional plea to Trudeau in London, Ont.

Post by Guest Tue 17 Jan 2017, 06:06

Veteran's file fast-tracked after emotional plea to Trudeau in London, Ont.

Recently retired soldier's case will be reviewed after he told PM about his father paying the bills for him

By Amanda Margison, CBC News Posted: Jan 17, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 17, 2017 5:00 AM ET

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Town-hall-london-military-vet
Veteran Joseph Angelini tells Trudeau his father pays for groceries because his pension cheques have not arrived.

A recently retired Canadian veteran who had to rely on his parents to buy groceries while waiting for pension cheques to arrive is seeing his file fast tracked after he stood up to the Prime Minister.

Joseph Angelini made an emotional plea to Justin Trudeau at the London, Ont. town hall forum last Friday, telling the prime minister it is unacceptable to make veterans suffer months of undue financial and emotional stress.

"It took everything I had to be there," said Angelini, who suffers from PTSD. "I forced myself to be in a crowd at the town hall and I think it was worth it."

On Monday, less than 72 hours after the forum, Angelini received a call from his case manager with news that an inquiry had been launched into the status of his file.

"Had I not said anything, I don't believe it would have moved this quickly."

The 33-year old retired from service in August 2016 after serving two tours in Afghanistan. He survived a roadside bomb attack in March 2008 that killed follow Canadian soldier Michael Yuki Hayakaze.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Joseph-angelini
Joseph Angelini in the gunner hole the day before his tank hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan in 2008.

Angelini suffered neck and back injuries that required surgery and have left him in chronic pain.

The night of the town hall meeting, Angelini told Trudeau and an audience 1,500 strong that it took four months before any money arrived from Veterans Affairs following his July retirement.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Town-hall-london-audience
1500 people packed Western University's Alumni Hall. At least 1000 others lined up but did not get into the venue.

Angelini started receiving pension cheques in early November but he said he is still owed money.

Visibly shaking while holding the microphone, he also questioned why he was denied the Family Caregiver Relief Benefit.

"My father is there for me everyday to help me with my medications and to do things a father should never have to do for a 30-year-old," he told Trudeau, explaining that his father retired early to take on caregiving duties.

Trudeau promised to look into Angelini's situation the night of the town hall and he thanked the veteran for continuing to do his duty by pointing out how to make the country better.

'Veterans Affairs needs to get fixed'

Speaking from his home in London, Angelini said he is relieved but still concerned about other veterans he knows who are also experiencing major problems with pension payments and benefits.

"I think it's getting worse," he said. "Veterans Affairs needs to get fixed with proper funding and proper training."

Veterans Affairs is unable to comment on specific cases but spokesperson Marc Lescoutre said the department is working to make the benefits process easier and faster for veterans.

He said while the department has hired more frontline staff, Veterans Affairs saw a jump last year in the number of disability claims submitted.

​Angelini is hopeful a review of his file will address his pension issues, as well as an earlier decision denying him the Permanent Impairment Allowance, a benefit issued to soldiers no longer able to work after an injury.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/veteran-trudeau-pension-benefit-1.3938495

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty Trudeau gets an earful from veteran, chiefs, disabled participant in London, Ont.

Post by Guest Sat 14 Jan 2017, 06:26

Trudeau gets an earful from veteran, chiefs, disabled participant in London, Ont.

Deaf audience members frustrated while Afganistan veteran told Trudeau pension cheque hasn't come in 6 months

By Amanda Margison, CBC News Posted: Jan 14, 2017 6:02 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 14, 2017 6:02 AM ET

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Town-hall-london-audience
About 1,500 people packed Western University's Alumni Hall. At least 1,000 others lined up but did not get into the venue.

Justin Trudeau's campaign-style town hall forum attracted the largest crowd yet in London, Ont., with military issues, accessibility troubles and First Nations leaders dampening the mood.

The prime minister took about a dozen questions from an energized audience of 1,500, while outside, nearly as many people were turned away due to lack of space.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Town-hall-london
Lorrie Vassos points out empty seats at Western University’s Alumni Hall, explaining that hearing impaired audience members did not get in because of a change in the venue for the town hall chat.

The town hall's location had to be changed twice for the Friday night event, an effort to accommodate demand, but attendee Lorrie Vassos pointed out the empty seats in her row.

"Deaf people were supposed to be sitting here," she said. "Their interpreters are here but they couldn't get into the building because the RSVP process changed."

Trudeau apologized saying he would ensure accessibility logistics were better organized in the future.

Military veteran Joseph Angelini tells Prime Minister Justin Trudeau his father pays for groceries because his pension cheques have not arrived.

Recently retired Afghanistan veteran Joseph Angelini made an emotion plea to the prime minister, shakily holding the microphone and admitting he had been going through a rough time since leaving the military.

His pension cheques had not arrived in six months, he told Trudeau.

"I've had to rely on my father to buy groceries and that is unacceptable."

Trudeau was quick to agree and he told Angelini his file, and those of other veterans in similar situations, would be examined.

"Thank you for your continued service to your country for pointing out things we are not doing well enough."

The military did come up one more time when an audience member asked about the Canadian government's business dealings with countries that have poor human rights records.

"I can't be here in London and hear your question and not think of the issue with the General Dynamics contract," Trudeau responded.

The high-profile $15-billion deal involves light armoured vehicles that General Dynamics makes in London and are sent to Saudi Arabia.

"Hundreds of families in London benefit from the industry and are benefiting from a contract that was signed by a previous government," Trudeau said.

He reminded the audience that all parties agreed when the issue was before Parliament that it would not be right to cancel any contract signed by a previous government.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Town-hall-london
The prime minister was on the receiving end of some tough commentary as he closed out the first week of his effort to reconnect with Canadians by holding a series of town hall discussions.

At least two local First Nation chiefs were sitting near the front of the hall and while one stood up to challenge Trudeau on his response to tackling mental health issues on reserves, the prime minister publicly dismissed her comments.

Chippewa of the Thames leader Leslee White-eye said she was angry with the tone Trudeau took, and while he offered to talk to her afterward, she said he fails to act in a way that reflects a move toward reconciliation.

"I wanted to re-frame the conversation away from us being talked about like social problems. We can work in partnership, instead of folks being in need of help with whatever crisis is coming our way.

Chief Randall Phillips from Oneida First Nation also noted after the forum that Trudeau talks about improving living conditions on reserves, touting $8.4 billion earmarked, but no money has arrived.

Phillips said one family who lost a father and four children in a house fire in December is still homeless on the reserve, southwest of London.

"I was going to ask him when we are going to see some investments on the ground because it's been over the year and there's been no word from Ottawa. I think it's a lot of political talk and no action."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/trudeau-townhall-politics-1.3935973

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 13 Jan 2017, 15:55

Wow vague answer on lifelong pensions but at least a guy named Dave is going to help with yoga. Wait a minute he didn't give out Dave's last name so I guess both statements are vague!

Can't believe our tax dollars are paying for this cross country love fest!
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 13 Jan 2017, 15:21

That Lady in Kingston, and Ryan in Belleville.
Both emphasized the lifelong pension.

Here's hoping that continues down JT's coffee shop bopping.
It could put some     Hehr     hair  on fire . . .

Happy Friday the 13th
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty HUNDREDS GIVE PM TRUDEAU A WARM WELCOME

Post by Guest Fri 13 Jan 2017, 14:36

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Logo

January 12th, 2017 by Nicole Kleinsteuber

HUNDREDS GIVE PM TRUDEAU A WARM WELCOME

In his first visit to Belleville since he was elected Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau was welcomed by large excited crowds.

About 700 people packed the Empire Theatre Thursday night and hundreds more lined Front Street for the opportunity to meet the Prime Minister, take photos and ask him questions as part of his cross-country tour to connect with Canadians.

The prime minister was asked a wide range of questions from the audience during the Q&A portion of the town hall ranging from the economy, the environment and lifelong pensions for veterans to Canada-U.S relations, security and immigration.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-4-768x511
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks during a town hall meeting at the Empire Theatre in Belleville Thursday January 12, 2017.

Trudeau started right out speaking about his August campaign stop in the friendly city where he promised to “reinstate” lifelong pensions for Canada’s injured veterans and pledged $300 million annually to expand and create military support programs.

“The work with that continues to resonate,” explained Trudeau. “There’s still lots more work to do but just earlier today I met this guy Dave who is coming down to Kingston to work on post traumatic stress disorder with veterans through and yoga and meditation. The amount of passion that Canadians have for this issue and understanding that if we are going to send young women and men into harm’s way we need to do right by them when they come home.”

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Ryan-Turcotte-768x482
Local veteran and Belleville firefighter Ryan Turcotte asks Prime Minister Justin Trudeau if he plans to reinstate lifelong pensions for veterans.

It was a great segue for local veteran and Belleville firefighter Ryan Turcotte who came to the meeting with pensions on his mind.

Turcotte who admitted he received a full disability pension for PTSD said it was a campaign promise that really applied to him. He asked the Prime Minister if reversing the one-time payout to a monthly cheque is a promise he intends to keep.

“We took some steps to fix some of the shortcomings and challenges that we inherited as a government,” said Trudeau. ‘We got a very clear mandate to do better by our veterans, to do great by our veterans and we’ve taken significant steps but there is more to do. the life long benefits are part of it. The Minister of Veterans Affairs Canada Kent Hehr has just finished working with a broad panel of veteran stakeholders and veteran groups to talk about the gaps in the system. To talk about how we can better respond to the needs people have and it’s no question the life-long benefit continues to be something we are working on. We are year one of a four year mandate but we are committed to getting that done.”

When asked if he felt the prime minister addressed his question, Turcotte said he wasn’t satisfied.

“My issue is that this is something that affects real people in real situations,” said Turcotte in an interview. “Vulnerable people. I’m lucky. I’ve been able to employ myself and keep myself together. There are many who haven’t and aren’t coping as well, who need that monthly cheque. Not some onetime payout. That’s the help that could keep them alive. Keep them from a desperate place where they have nothing and don’t know how they are going to function. It’s important and it needs a timely response and one that I will certainly stay on top of. I believe he’s received the message. I asked. Someone in Kingston asked. And someone in Trenton will be sure to ask.”

The Prime Minister is meeting with 8-Wing CFB Trenton military members and veterans Friday morning.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-10-667x1024

Another gentleman spoke out calling Premier Kathleen Wynne “out of touch” with small business owners. He suggested the Prime Minister was also out of touch with the small business sector for having a “good relationship” with the Premier.

Trudeau praised his ability to have a good working relationship with all of the premiers across the country.

He spoke again of his plan that cut taxes for the middle class and raised them on the wealthiest one percent. He pointed to how the Liberal’s plan to invest $180 billion into infrastructure over the next 12 years was going to create jobs in public transit social and green infrastructure.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-2-768x500

Another question from a woman in the audience was geared to what she called ‘big issues surrounding food security, clean water and agriculture’.

Trudeau told the audience how there is a ‘tremendous global market out there for Canadian quality in terms of agriculture’. He said he is very excited about the kind of innovation and the kind of engagement Canada has as a way of supporting its agricultural industry.

When it came to electoral reform Trudeau encouraged everyone to log on to mydemocracy.ca as they are looking for Canadians’ thoughts on a variety of issues.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-7-768x482

The prime minister commended a young girl for her courage in speaking about funding for mental health initiatives.

“There is not much help in our community for mental health,” she said asking Trudeau what his government’s commitment will be to the nation’s youth. She received a large round of applause.

Trudeau said it is ‘high time Canada had a proper level’ of addressing mental health and the stigma attached to it. He said they are ready to put billions on the table adding Canada is overdue in addressing mental health.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-16-768x496

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-13-768x459

One young man seemed to ask the question that was on a lot of people’s minds. “How will president elect Donald Trump’s inauguration affect Canada-U.S. relations?”

“I can see everyone leaning forward in their chairs,” joked Trudeau.

“Canadians expect their government to have a constructive working relationship with the incoming administration and that’s exactly what we’re going to do,” he said.

“We know any change brings fresh challenges and new opportunities,” he said. “We are going to make sure we are fighting for Canadian jobs. At the same time, Canada is a separate country from the United States and there are things we hold dear. I’m never going to shy away from standing up for what I believe in whether it’s proclaiming loudly to our world that I am a feminist, whether it’s understanding that immigration is a source of strength for us and that Muslim-Canadians are an essential part of the success.”

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour MB-trudeau-768x517

It was statements like that, that really hit home for 18-year-old Ramez Aljasem.

Aljasem immigrated to Picton a year ago with his family from Lebanon thanks to the efforts of PEC Syria.

“It was amazing, he (Trudeau) is amazing. I wish I could work in the parliament,” he said after the town hall. “I look forward to working in the future with the MP too. Thank you Mr. Trudeau and all the Canadians who helped us.”

http://www.quintenews.com/2017/01/hundreds-give-pm-trudeau-warm-welcome-belleville/137160/

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Fri 13 Jan 2017, 14:13

Big Thank You to that lady that cornered him with legitimate questions. It seems to me that from now on his handlers will select the audience that comes to greet him.
Another truth, in my humble opinion, is that veterans 'file/issues' will not get any traction till ... ladies step in to deal with those Hers, PMs, etc. It has been done before with Fantino and could be done again. Ladies, please, HELP.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Fri 13 Jan 2017, 10:49

He's doing what he knows best...campaigning. I'm sure his ability to campaign is the only thing he has in common with Trump because neither one knows how to answer a direct question or lead.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 12 Jan 2017, 20:52

Tx for high lighting in bold  Another woman.... That's what stood out to me when I read that article this morning. More than just kudos to her...
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Empty Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jan 2017, 15:46

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour

Prime minister faces range of questions at Kingston, Ont., town hall on 1st leg of outreach trip

By Aaron Wherry, Kathleen Harris, CBC News Posted: Jan 12, 2017 11:20 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 12, 2017 3:20 PM ET

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today kicked off a cross-country tour to connect with Canadians as controversies brew over so-called cash-for-access political fundraising and a vacation at the Bahamian island property of the Aga Khan.

His campaign-style trip began in eastern Ontario, with stops at a restaurant in Manotick, an aquarium in Brockville and a highway rest stop in Mallorytown. At each stop, he shook hands, chatted and posed for photos. While in transit, he called into a radio station in Kingston and requested a song by the Tragically Hip.

Trudeau has a question-and-answer session with reporters in Kingston at 3 p.m. ET. CBCnews.ca is carrying his remarks live.

At a town hall forum in the city Thursday afternoon, he faced questions about the welfare of Indigenous Canadians, military exports, subsidies for the fossil-fuel industry, electoral reform and support for the manufacturing sector.

An Indigenous woman became emotional while asking the prime minister to protect Canadian waters from environmental harm. "Please, from the bottom of my heart, and my grandchildren, please keep our water clean," she said.

Another woman seemed to choke up as she criticized the Liberal government's handling of benefits for veterans.

"You promised the injured veterans you would restore the lifetime disability pension," she said. "So when are you going to be restoring these lifelong disability pensions for our injured? And stop pursuing this in court as [you promised]?" she asked.

"As you say, there are still more things to do and we are going to continue to work with veterans groups, continue to work with advocates, continue [to work with] MPs of all stripes," Trudeau responded.

"We're going to continue to work on keeping not just an electoral promise we made to Canadians, but a promise and commitment that every government makes to the parents and the families of young men and women who sign up for our forces."

The woman later stood up and complained the prime minister had not answered her questions.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Trudeau-at-town-hall-in-kingston-ont
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with participants following a town hall forum in Kingston, Ont. Trudeau is beginning a cross-Canada tour over the next few weeks with events in Ontario Thursday and Friday.

Public concerns were sometimes loudly expressed. Two people who said they were members of the civil service complained to the prime minister about the Phoenix pay system that is leaving some people unpaid.

"We're being told that it could take up to three years to fix this problem and no offence, that's not acceptable," said a corrections worker. "If a private corporation were doing this on the scale that this is happening, the government would have taken action by now. This is not right."

Trudeau said he agreed that the payroll problems were "unacceptable."

"I'll admit it: this government, in everything that we were doing in the first months, didn't pay proper attention to the real — didn't pay enough attention — to the warning signs that were coming on the transition [to Phoenix] that we were overseeing," Trudeau said.

"We are working extremely hard to try and fix this. We're down to 8,000 cases that are still 8,000 cases too many," Trudeau said, but he was later challenged on that number by one of the civil servants, who called it a "lie by misdirection" and noted it only represents the backlog of cases registered before July 1.

One young man stood up to shout at the prime minister about the dangers of pipelines. The prime minister thanked him for his opinion, but said he was hoping to maintain a respectful tone.

Tour continues down the 401

Another such forum in Belleville will be held later in the evening. The Ontario swing continues Friday and ends in London, Ont.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Justin-trudeau-on-cross-country-tour
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau gets a high-five from a young boy as he visits a restaurant in Manotick, Ont., on Thursday.

"We see this tour as part of a concerted effort to remain connected to Canadians, at home in their communities," said Cameron Ahmad, a spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office. "The prime minister wants to hear from them on how they are feeling at the start of 2017, what their concerns and anxieties are, and what we can do to help alleviate that."

The prime minister will also visit Quebec, B.C. and the Prairies, then the Atlantic provinces and the North.

Participants were invited to RSVP on the local MPs website, raising questions about whether the information would be used by the Liberal Party for political purposes.

But Ahmad said signing up on the websites is not mandatory, and was intended to inform people on updates with details of the events.

Encouraging attendance

"We wanted to ensure that attendance at these events would not be simply be limited to partisans or Liberals. In order to do so, MPs took the opportunity to reach out to all their constituents — regardless of political affiliation — and share information on upcoming events," he told CBC.

Trudeau faces tough questions as he kicks off cross-country tour Pm-ontario-tour
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with Anne Mask as food is prepared during a visit to a restaurant in Manotick, Ont. Thursday January 12, 2017.

Notice of one event was posted on the Liberal party's website, but a spokesman later said that was a mistake and the posting had been deleted.

Trudeau has been facing a barrage of questions and criticism over "cash-for-access" fundraising events, where wealthy donors were given access to the prime minister at exclusive events.

A new ethics controversy involves Trudeau's family vacation to the Bahamas, where he stayed at the Bell Island home of the Aga Khan, whose foundation receives millions of dollars in federal funding for development projects.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-tour-grassroots-canadians-1.3932162

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down