Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Family Caregiver Relief Benefit

+11
By the Bay
RCN-Retired
Cookie
Slaket
Rifleman
bosn181
bigrex
Willie
johnny211
Rustytheviking
Vet1234
15 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Family Caregiver Relief Benefit - Page 2 Empty Re: Family Caregiver Relief Benefit

Post by Vet1234 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 14:15

Thanks! I just called and they clarified some things for me as well.
The service standard should be 6 weeks, possibly less if a veteran was already in receipt of the FCRB. Applications can be signed and scanned and uploaded through My VAC if a veteran has the capability.
If and when approved, the caregiver will be sent information including a request for banking info.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Family Caregiver Relief Benefit - Page 2 Empty Re: Family Caregiver Relief Benefit

Post by Yump5555 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 14:08

I called VAC and I was advised that with the new Caregiver benefit that even being on the FCRB that you have to fill out a new application and reapply. The agent stated that it is then sent to the adjudicators and they will make a decision in due course. He further stated that it is possible to not be approved for the new benefit even after being on the FCRB. This is a total opposite as to what was advised when the Caregiver benefit was released and we were advised that anyone on the FCRB would automatically be transferred onto the Caregiver benefit. Neutral

Yump5555
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 13:12

Thanks for the info as well was able to call vac today on a Sunday they were open today to answer ?'s so i asked them will the new payment be pro rated or start fresh as the new benefit, they told me that it would start as a fresh payment. Lets hope that done change and i have to wait till next January.

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 08:00

Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 10 Feb 2018, 16:04

No problem BtB. And there is nothing preventing you from applying for AA, because the AA and CRB are basically the same thing. It's to compensate the spouse or family member, for having to assist you with ADL's. If you required actual nursing care, that would be completely different, and VAC would either pay the service provider directly, or include those monies as part of the VIP benefit, not as AA. I get AA and VIP, but VAC still pays VON directly, for the nurse to come to the house every few week for foot and nail care, because you need special training to do it safely. So it's not something my wife can do on her own.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Sat 10 Feb 2018, 00:53

Bigrex,

Thank you for finding the CRB policy! Your good.... I bet you could find a needle in a haystack! Lol

Vet1234, congratulations on getting approved for FCRB! That is great news!

After reading the CRB policy, I am just a little confused as to why my case manager wants me to apply for this benefit in April...Clearly, my caregiver is not recognized to receive this benefit because I am under the old charter! Nor do I receive a duel award/pension. Maybe my CM was misinformed or alittle confused herself!
I have not applied for Attendance Allowance because my CM said that I would not be entitled to it because presently my husband and sons are my caregivers and no outside help from a health care agency is required at this time!  Rolling Eyes
This is too confusing....Does anyone else feel like they have been voted off the island and are now in a small leaking wooden boat with no oars! Sometimes that's how I feel when dealing with VAC....Casted out and left alone in a sinking boat! and with my luck, it's going to be shark infested waters! I don't want to be chum bait!   Shocked
Sorry for being so melancholy, but I just received my pension reassessment today....I got a 1% increase but there will be no increase in payment! I waited and stressed for 11 months just to receive an 1% increase! Crying or Very sad
Feeling defeated,
By the Bay
By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Fri 09 Feb 2018, 21:03

By the Bay, I found this in the actual budget 2017 legislation.

Caregiver Recognition Benefit
279 (1) The portion of subsection 65.‍1(1) of the Act before paragraph (a) is replaced by the following:
Eligibility
65.‍1 (1) The Minister may, on application by a veteran, pay a caregiver recognition benefit to a person designated by the veteran if
(2) Paragraphs 65.‍1(1)‍(a) and (b) of the English version of the Act are replaced by the following:
(a) the veteran has had an application for a disability award approved under section 45;
(b) as a result of the disability for which the application for a disability award was approved, the veteran requires ongoing care;
(3) Paragraph 65.‍1(1)‍(c) of the Act is replaced by the following:
(b.‍1) the veteran has not been awarded a “‍pension‍” or “‍compensation‍” as those terms are defined in subsection 3(1) of the Pension Act;
(c) the designated person is 18 years of age or older and plays an essential role in the provision or coordination of the ongoing care to the veteran in the veteran’s home for which the person receives no remuneration; and
(4) Subsections 65.‍1(3) and (4) of the Act are replaced by the following:
Factors to be considered
(3) In deciding whether a designated person plays an essential role in the provision or coordination of the ongoing care to the veteran in the veteran’s home, the Minister shall consider only prescribed factors.
280 Sections 65.‍2 and 65.‍3 of the Act are replaced by the following:
Amount of benefit
65.‍2 The monthly amount of a caregiver recognition benefit that is payable to a designated person shall be the amount set out in column 2 of item 5 of Schedule 2.
Only one designated person
65.‍21 A veteran may, for the purpose of subsection 65.‍1(1), designate only one person at a time.
When benefit payable
65.‍22 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a caregiver recognition benefit begins to be payable on the first day of the month in which the application for the benefit is made.
Replacement of designated person
(2) If a veteran, by means of a new application for a caregiver recognition benefit, replaces the designated person with a new designated person, the caregiver recognition benefit begins to be payable to the new designated person on the later of
(a) the first day of the month in which the new application is made, and
(b) the day on which the benefit ceases to be payable to the previously designated person.
When benefit ceases to be payable
65.‍23 A caregiver recognition benefit ceases to be payable on the earliest of
(a) the first day of the month after the month in which the conditions of eligibility set out in paragraphs 65.‍1(1)‍(a) to (d) are no longer met,
(b) the first day of the month after the month in which the veteran makes a new application to replace the designated person with a new designated person, or
(c) the first day of the month after the month in which the veteran or the designated person dies.
Change in circumstances — veteran
65.‍24 (1) A veteran shall inform the Minister if there is any change in circumstances relating to the conditions of eligibility set out in paragraphs 65.‍1(1)‍(a) to (d) or if the designated person dies.
Change in circumstances — designated person
(2) A designated person shall inform the Minister if there is any change in circumstances relating to the conditions of eligibility set out in paragraph 65.‍1(1)‍(c) or if the veteran who designated the person dies.
Assessment
65.‍3 The Minister may, for the purpose of determining whether a designated person may continue to receive a caregiver recognition benefit, require the veteran who designated the person to undergo an assessment by a person specified by the Minister.
Suspension or cancellation
65.‍31 The Minister may, in the prescribed circumstances, suspend the payment of a caregiver recognition benefit or cancel the benefit.
281 The Act is amended by adding the following after section 78:
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Fri 09 Feb 2018, 20:38

By the bay - same boat here. Got turned down twice, under both pa and NVC, told to put on for AA, Put in for AA and quess what turned down again. So I’m waiting to apply for new one. Hopefully they sort out this catch 22, circle. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Fri 09 Feb 2018, 19:56

The criteria is to remain the same as the FCRB. Anyone in receipt of the FCRB will remain eligible. I just got approved for tmy renewal and I had to apply twice before I was approved. This a finicky benefit with policy that is open to interpretation. On my second application i added 2 sentences to my original application and was approved. I dont expect anything before April 1st as they don't even look at a renewal until on or after the anniversary date.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay Fri 09 Feb 2018, 17:13

Hi Ya'll,

I was just wondering when will VAC release the policy/regulations for the Caregiver Recogition Benefit? I can't seem to find the publication anywhere. I could only find the normal VAC Fact Sheet literature on the benefit which is very basic. The scenario example tells me nothing except for Florence is 28 years old and takes care of her grandfather who is a veteran. She will be entitled to this monthly allowance because she cooks, cleans and runs errands....yada, yada,yada! (Who the heck makes up these scenarios?) I know the benefit will be available on April 1st but what are the eligibility rules?  Can we apply if we are under the old Charter? Or is it a New Charter benefit only? Can a spouse apply for this benefit? So many unanswered questions....
April 1st is just around the corner....and we have no further information on CRB....I am starting to feel like this is an April Fools prank spearheaded by GOC! Lol

Cheers,
By the Bay

By the Bay
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Thu 08 Feb 2018, 23:12

its still easier than figuring out what gluten actually is.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 08 Feb 2018, 23:06

Some of the key abbreviations used in the forums.

PFL -Pension for Life
PSC - Pain and Suffering Compensation
APSC - Additional Pain and Suffering Compensation
IRB - Income Replacement Benefit
DEC - Diminished Earnings Capacity
CIA - Career Impact Allowance
CIAS - Career Impact Allowance Supplement
ELB - Earnings Loss Benefits
EELB - Extended Earning Loss Benefit
FCRB - Family Caregiver Relief benefit
CRB - Caregiver Recognition Benefit
LSA - Lump Sum Award
DA - Disability Award

If there is anything you are unsure of, please feel free to ask. The whole thing is confusing, when you know what everything means, so not knowing all of the new abbreviations must be mind boggling.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired Thu 08 Feb 2018, 22:46

Hey guys, been a little out of touch lately and just started again following, can anyone direct me to where to find the full words for all these abbreviations? Thanks

Sent from Topic'it App
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Mon 05 Feb 2018, 22:35

bigrex wrote:Currently you can work and collect CIA, because there are eligibility criteria, that have nothing to do with employment ability You can even work casual, and collect CIAS, as long as you are deemed DEC. But any income will deducted from the ELB. But after next year, if you are collecting the CIA and ELB replacement benefits, the APSC and IRB, you will be able to earn up to $20000/yr, without it being deducted from your benefits.

That's accurate, yet the change in policy makes me feel uncomfortable. Personally, I would love the ability to make a few bucks on my own time, pace and when i feel good. I do however suspect that any attempt at even casual employment would be interpreted by VAC as an ability to be suitably and or gainfully employed and or malingering.

On a thread specific note, I was just granted my FCRB renewal.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Mon 05 Feb 2018, 22:15

Currently you can work and collect CIA, because there are eligibility criteria, that have nothing to do with employment ability You can even work casual, and collect CIAS, as long as you are deemed DEC. But any income will deducted from the ELB. But after next year, if you are collecting the CIA and ELB replacement benefits, the APSC and IRB, you will be able to earn up to $20000/yr, without it being deducted from your benefits.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next