Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans Independence Program

+12
Teentitan
bosn181
propat
Newf
Newfie
AirLog
Halifax275
johnny211
pinger
bigrex
Nemo
By the Bay
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Veterans Independence Program Empty Re: Veterans Independence Program

Post by Unknown Soldier Mon 22 Feb 2021, 21:53

There is a " success story " on the OVO website about a veteran denied VIP for psychological reasons.And the ovo, won the case for the vet, Which means it can happen but it's not a given by VAC, though everyone s extent is different.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2019-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bog6 Sat 20 Feb 2021, 23:10

AirLog wrote:It also depends on the number of bedrooms for house cleaning. I am still looking for the $$$ policy on VIP.

AirLog
this may help

link to the 2021 VIP rate table

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/services/rates/max-vip-rates-2021.pdf

The VIP program if needed

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/housing-and-home-life/help-at-home/veterans-independence-program

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bog6 Sat 20 Feb 2021, 23:07

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 20 Feb 2021, 22:51

johnny211 wrote:Unknown Soldier - Good day Brother. I’ll clear it up a bit. I originally got VIP over 20 yrs ago while still serving for frostbite. Then it was updated 8 yrs ago to include help for my ptsd issues. Vac is an ever changing beast, and it’s not right if now, there not taking mental issues into acct for VIP.
l guess it's all relative ,because 2 veterans can have PTSD ,one assessed at 10% and one at 90%. As the saying goes " dont judge, trauma is trauma ", but since VAC assigns it percentages, I'm sure there is a cut off point where those with " so-so" PTSD are declined.
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 20 Feb 2021, 16:32

Unknown Soldier - Good day Brother. I’ll clear it up a bit. I originally got VIP over 20 yrs ago while still serving for frostbite. Then it was updated 8 yrs ago to include help for my ptsd issues. Vac is an ever changing beast, and it’s not right if now, there not taking mental issues into acct for VIP.
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaud Sat 20 Feb 2021, 16:02

Make sure your VIP is in effect before you pass away. Other wise your spouse will have to battle for them and may not get coverage. Only yard and home care is available to survivors

Chaud
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Soldier Sat 20 Feb 2021, 15:34

doomed78 wrote:Hey everyone,
I'm in receipt of a disability award for PTSD and I am released. I can physically do the work around the house but doing things like making meals for myself, cleaning the house and yard work is too hard mentally for me to keep up. I usually let things pile up and rarely eat a nutritious meal during the day. Would I be able to qualify for the VIP? What kind of assessment is required.? I'm hesitant to have someone come to my home during Covid.
dont want to be a dark cloud on this, but just as years ago a DEC status could be granted to the veteran by their Case Manager, then that power was removed, though Johnny below may have gotten VIP based on PTSD, I'd be interested to know the year, as in recent times VAC has posted new literature/requirements and l know many vets who have been turned down for VIP despite debilitating PTSD.VACs response to them was a " little fresh air and yard work would do a person good"
Unknown Soldier
Unknown Soldier
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 20 Feb 2021, 14:46

doomed78 - I have had Vip for a number of yrs for Ptsd. Call the 1-800 number. Ask to speak to a VSA, veteran service agent for yr district. They will guide you thru the process. They may reqr a letter fm yr pscy stating that due to yr ptsd, concentration, memory, anxiety issues, you cannot do any yard work, and need house cleaning, and meals. Mention safety a lot. I’m sure yr like me in some areas. I’ve left the oven, burner on lots, not good at motorized eqpt, as our concentration sucks. The VSA will advise if you need a nursing assessment. Hope this helps. Don’t sugar coat things. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by doomed78 Sat 20 Feb 2021, 08:57

Hey everyone,
I'm in receipt of a disability award for PTSD and I am released. I can physically do the work around the house but doing things like making meals for myself, cleaning the house and yard work is too hard mentally for me to keep up. I usually let things pile up and rarely eat a nutritious meal during the day. Would I be able to qualify for the VIP? What kind of assessment is required.? I'm hesitant to have someone come to my home during Covid.

doomed78
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2019-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Sun 01 Nov 2020, 21:16

If the VIP Grant program has changed in the last 5/6 years the way amounts for housekeeping and yardwork is based (calculated) by the cost in the area the veteran lives in. VAC looks at provincial wages in the area and then applies the hourly wage on what the in-home assessment (by a CM or Nurse) calls for to help the veteran stay in his/her home.

VAC adds the two costs together and gives half the amount every 6 months.  The 1st installment starts on the date the veteran was approved for VIP and the 2nd payment 6 months later, to the day.

A veteran does not need to keep receipts as the VIP program went from a reimbursement benefit to a grant system.  In other words the veteran can do what he pleases with the money.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3407
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sun 01 Nov 2020, 20:47

It also depends on the number of bedrooms for house cleaning. I am still looking for the $$$ policy on VIP.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Nov 2020, 19:38

Thanks, Air log. I am told there is a limit to yard work and snow removal.
Housekeeping etc varies from person to person depending on needs and/or physical limitations.

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog Sun 01 Nov 2020, 19:15

Bonjour Chaud,

1.5 years ago when I was on a 2.7 acre property with a walkout bungalow (1,800 sq/ft per floor) I was receiving a total of approximately $3,600 (annually) for grounds keeping and house cleaning. No extras such and laundry, foot care, meals, etc. So about $1,800 once in March and the second payment in September. Not sure what you are covered for for $5,000 annually but, it does seem high. There is a policy on VIP benefits that breaks down the annual amounts for each category of VIP benefits. If I can find it I will post here.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 Nov 2020, 14:02

I am approved for a yearly grant of $1600 for grounds keeping and $3400 for housekeeping does that seem right? What do you receive? Curious where I stand thanks. ( I have a big old house and large yard 1/2 acre )

Do you just get payment Jan 1st and Jul 1st payments? 50% -50%
(I was approved at different times for each area of this benefit- Jan for yard and September for housekeeping)

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Thu 07 Feb 2019, 20:36

Yes, it will be a home visit, to determine what type of supports you will need. So if you live in an apartment, they're not going to recommend groundskeeping, for example.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next