Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got my 3b but so damn confused.

+5
bosn181
RCN-Retired
Vet1234
pinger
Jayse29
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Got my 3b but so damn confused. - Page 2 Empty Re: Got my 3b but so damn confused.

Post by RCN-Retired Wed 08 Feb 2017, 23:10

Jayse29, your number one priority is you and your health always remember that. Next I was given this tip before the Navy put me out 3B and that was to get a letter from your Psychiatrist that your medical conditions and have them named "were directly caused by your employment in the CAF". If you can even have them give a percentage of your disability based on the VAC charts. Once you have this and I speak from experience here, VAC cannot beat you because you have that your injuries are a direct result of your employment. Next if they post you to JPSU they can't tell you how many hours a week that you have to work, again that is up to your medical team, if they want to say 10 hours a week then that is what you work, if they want to give you 30, 60, days or more sick leave then that is what you should get. The CO can always disagree with the MDs but that does not happen often especially in the case of those of us with mental illness. Last you should stay in the military until you get all your forms for your various pensions submitted. You have received a few comments on that. When I was released they tried to make me take courses and training but the truth was I could not concentrate to sit in class all day. Again, your welfare and what is best for you needs to be front and centre not what the CAF or VAC try to make happen. Use your medical team to the best of your advantage. Good Luck
RCN-Retired
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Got my 3b but so damn confused. - Page 2 Empty Re: Got my 3b but so damn confused.

Post by Jayse29 Wed 08 Feb 2017, 21:38

That is the answer I have been looking for, as I do not want Vocational rehab shoved down my throat. According to my nurse case manager, Sisip will cover 85% for long term disability and VA will cover the other 15% (is this the earnings loss benefit?).

I interpreted from my ISPC case manager that once I am posted to JPSU, I will be doing a 40 hour work week - appointments (For example: 5 hours a week for medical appointments and 35 hours participating in shadowing a trades person).

I did express to this person my interest in becoming an electrician or plumber (civi), but I now realize that the long path of shadowing, schooling and apprenticeship will be too much for me. At this point I need to avoid schooling or shadowing altogether while posted to JPSU (still in limbo). I have been looking into equine therapy and I am enrolling in many other programs such as art therapy.

My plan at this point is to present a resource of therapeutic programs along with medical appointments to my nurse case manager. As far as career goals, I am looking into something that does not require a lot of schooling and is part time such as locksmithing or small engine repair (part time). I have no problem addressing the fact that I will need time to recover, but feel guilt over my career ambitions being only part time at best. As I am learning more about myself and illness, I do not foresee myself ever working more than 10-15 hours a week (If that, depending on my progression) and it leaves me with feelings of guilt, like I am trying to milk the very system that wants to set me up for a great, full time career.

Jayse29
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2016-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Wed 08 Feb 2017, 19:02

Don't be pressured into going back to school! That's what happened to me. I didn't know that there were more options and they really try and jam Vocational Rehab down peoples throats. If I were you, I would apply for Earnings loss benefits (ELB.) You need to have an approved rehabilitation plan first though. VAC will try to convince you that rehab means school.... That's not the case. Rehab could mean Psycho/Social in your case.
ELB would be 90% of your pre-release salary. There are a slew of other benefits available and this is definitely the place to get your info. Much better than your Case Manager at veterans affairs.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Tue 07 Feb 2017, 21:35

Hi Jayse29,

You asked " What would you have done differently in your medical release process? "
I was not a 3b myself, But suffered later.

In hindsight ? I'd make damn sure ANY service-related injury was documented. And grab my med files in person before I'd leave the gate.
Not sure if you can get a paper copy any more...

Pace myself, ... bearing in mind priorities. Stay close my family, and true friends.

And not get overwhelmed . . .

Last edited by pinger on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 21:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2017, 19:53

well buds seems you are well on track . if I were you id be applying for every benefit you are entitled to up to CPPD , DTC and everything else including as well ELB with the rehab PIA/CIA and the supplement I mean everything . you really want to get this done while still in the military . its so much easier dealing with the military doctors that have diagnosed you and are treating you . much better than a third party civi doc IF you are lucky enough to find one . it is also much more difficult for DVA to deny you benefits when its actually the military doctors telling them your issues are service related.

I know you are going through stuff and fully understand if ya need help to get this done seek help but you are much better off getting this done prior to release .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse29 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 16:45

Thanks for the excellent advice, Trooper. I have also received some great guidance thanks to my nurse case manager.

Propat:

I am not currently working and I am unfit to be in a military environment.
To answer your question, no, I am not sure at this time.

In my current state, I have a hard enough time doing simple tasks like getting groceries without going into a state of panic.

I understand the importance of vocational rehab and giving releasing members the opportunity to partake in many great programs. With that being said, only time will tell. Either way, I can rest assured that there will always be a paycheck if I find myself unable to handle the stress of a school or work environment. I will never know for sure unless I try.

Jayse29
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2017, 09:48

jayse29

got a question . are you currently working and once you leave the military are you sure you will be able to do the school thing and hold down a job ?

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 Feb 2017, 07:37

Jayse29,

Your absolutely correct, the release process can be confusing but it is workable if you take it one step at a time.

First off you got more than 10 years service, being medically released you will get a Canadian Forces pension for the rest of your life, Indexed for the cost of living at that.

My advice would be to start applying to Veterans Affairs ASAP.
As you already know you will need to link your medical condition or conditions to your military service.
Having the proper medical documentation linking your conditions to your service is key to being approved for the benefits you will be applying for, so keep this in mind when talking with your doctors.

Have a look at the List of VAC Benefits category above to see what is available.

You should also have some support in guiding you as you state, in your release process.

If you want to take two years off to decide your future avenues regarding schooling, that is your option, Veterans Affairs does have a rehabilitation program in place to support you while you are deciding what avenue to take. You need to apply for the rehabilitation program to receive the earnings loss benefit ELB.

My advice would be to take it one step at a time, once the process begins it all falls into place.
You don't want to be adding more stress on yourself by getting to overwhelmed and upset when things are getting a little shaky in the process, things will eventually fall into place.
Remember, financial security is necessary to help make a better future for yourself and your family, the benefits are there for you to apply for, so apply for them and if you don't get approved the first time around, appeal and never stop fighting for any benefit you feel your are entitled to.

Back to top Go down

Got my 3b but so damn confused. - Page 2 Empty Got my 3b but so damn confused.

Post by Jayse29 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 21:41

Apologies in advance if this is in under the wrong topic, but I was hoping for a bit of guidance.

A little about my release: I spent 8 weeks at a clinic in Guelph as a psychiatric patient in their PTSD program (those who have been will know the place I am talking about) After many pain staking days of spilling my guts and learning about my illness(s). My psychiatrist (along with the assistance of a psychologist and team doctor) collectively diagnosed me with the following: severe PTSD, severe depression, severe anxiety disorder, moderate agoraphobia, alcohol use disorder, sleep disorder (and a few others on top of that) which are all mostly linked, in one way or another to my 14+ years of service.

I feel like this clinic has established a foundation for myself to learn who I am again. The skills that I have learned are second to none.
Warm and fuzzies aside, upon returning to my unit, I was presented with my 3b release papers which was great news for myself.

Here is the confusing part. I have been meeting with my ISPC case manager to discuss my release. Due to family circumstances, I have
made it clear that a compassionate posting of sorts (I understand I am entitled to one final IRP move) is my main objective.

My ISPC case manager has been going out of his way to assist me with this, however, with my desire to go back to school, I have been told
that my release can happen as early as late spring in order to fill my need to be near family.

By all means am I no a rush to get out and back into school so soon. With the coping skills I have learned, it will take a significant amount of time
and practice until I would be ready for this.

Ideally, I would like to use the allotted 2 years to focus on my recovery, however, I feel like I am drowning amidst the chaos of self focus, being near my
family and trying out every bit of therapy that I can while waiting for my claims to be processed. Throw a pile of paperwork and dealing with admin from 8 different
directions leaves me with the impression that I am getting sent off at the militaries earliest convienience. I have made this clear with my Psychiatrist whom I travel a long distance to see. We are both in agreement that my mental health should take priority (obviously, it is her job). It still does not eliminate the fact that I am in the eye of a tornado between paper pushers, VA, being set up for future career prospects, many medical appointments and trying to pursue a move close to
my family. For the most part, I understand that many of these people are out to help me figure all of this out, but I find myself going into a crisis mode when forced to make decisions for my future. I simply zone out without realizing it.

With all of the pressure that I am feeling from all of a sudden being thrown into a civilian school and work environment. I have decided that it would be best
for myself to take a couple of years off after my release in order to gauge where I am at.

I know this post seems all over the place (so am I at the moment), so I am wondering if anyone can relate to being completely scatterbrained without even knowing where to start. I have been researching these forums, but still find myself in a rut of trying to process so much information.

To get down to the nitty gritty, where did you start? What would you have done differently in your medical release process? My next step is an appointment with the Nurse case manager this week.

Thanks all.

Jayse29
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2