Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

+9
By the Bay
BinRat
prawnstar
pinger
Dove96
Willie
Jayse29
johnny211
SaintJohn18182
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance Empty Re: I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by johnny211 Sat 04 Nov 2017, 20:16

SaintJohn - You know your mental/ physical injuries better then these professional. You will probably see that she will agree with you. Stick too your guns. And remember most of us on here have been down that rd brother. If it gets too heavy reach out, we got your 6. Johnny Out. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance Empty Re: I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by SaintJohn18182 Sat 04 Nov 2017, 18:06

Hi Johnny, that sounds like a solid plan man. Thank you for your help as always.

Pinger, thank you for your time as well. I am glad you're on EELB and financially secure per say.
Its great to be able to talk to someone (A Psychiatrist) and it being covered.

I am so terrified to ask my phycologist to write up a letter stating that I can not return to work indefinitely, Its like asking for so much and I'm scared she will straight up say no.. then I'm completed screwed for the rest of my life.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Fri 03 Nov 2017, 16:49

Hiya SaintJohn18182 ,

Your sit. is very familiar to others including myself yet I don't have ptsd, just my own physical squirrel cage.  
You mentioned " I hate not knowing what my future will be "  
In the context of financial security, that is what the PA had...
That said, even that never garnered mental security imo.

I have been on EELB for around 4 years now and it is good to age 65.
Now what Johnny mentioned to approach it is very smart.
" Have your pscy and family Dr, both do up a letter, stating that you can not return to work indefinitely. " Key word being indefinitely.

Really good to hear you can at least get out the door to see a doc though.
Hope I helped and made sense.

Stay well SaintJohn18182.
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Thu 02 Nov 2017, 06:22

Hi SaintJohn18182 - Great ? I went thru the voc rehab, pscy and a year of college. Then work and things hit the fan. It was about 2 1/2 yrs until I was deemed DEC. Have your pscy and family Dr, both do up a letter, stating that you can not return to work indefinitely. Then get this to your CM, and advise him/her that you want to apply for DEC, and CIA, CIAS. That whole process drove me more more nuts than I am already. I is a painful red-tape process. Hang in there. But I can tell you to get those assessments in, and do not let anyone force you back to work that you are not ready for. Johnny Out ,,VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 Wed 01 Nov 2017, 19:16

Hi all,

Quick update for anyone who cares..

Saw my case manager a total of 1 time since February since the program started.
Going to see her again in November, I'm actually requesting the appointments and not her.

I've been on VAC Rehab and ELB for almost a year now.. been seeing various psychiatrists, seeing a top of the line psychologist every 2 weeks and theres some slight improvements with my anxiety but guess what, I'm still super anxious and nothing helps it. I have absolutely no want to go back to school let alone working full time, I rather be homeless than deal with that crap, seriously.

I'm going to ask my CM what will be happening from here on out, do I just go with the flow for the rest of my life or what? I'm just waiting for the day that she contacts me and tells me that my Rehab program is done and I am on my own.

As someone who has a ton of anxiety on a daily basis, I hate not knowing what my future will be and I absolutely hate going with the flow(even though I practiced it for weeks with my psychologist).

Isn't the Rehab program only suppose to last 2 years if you're not going back to school?
Please note that I am on VAC Rehab and not that SISIP crap.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger Thu 11 May 2017, 20:21

That's a son of a B SaintJohn18182. But in spite of it... you just may end up with a better cm because as bigrex mentioned some cm's really do give a shyte. Good to know your wife is supportive as well. I send you my horseshoe....
pinger
pinger
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 May 2017, 16:08

bruce72 wrote:
SaintJohn18182 wrote:Well she had to cancel again, I believe she has some personal life problems which do happen and I hope everything is okay for her.

Someone from VAC just called me to say that she had to cancel and she'll call me sometime next week hopefully.

Yay for more anticipatory anxiety!

Not much you can do about that.  I hope everything goes well for you when you do get to see your CM.

Good luck brother!

There's nothing worse then having a Case Manager cancel an appointment, talk about adding stress to the Veteran.

They should have a system set up where another CM can contact the Veteran, to at least get things moving. Wait is long enough as it is, this just adds more wait time, and more stress.

I hope things are good for that particular Case Manager, but that does not take away the fact that a Veteran could be losing valuable time in getting the support they need.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 May 2017, 14:13

SaintJohn18182 wrote:Well she had to cancel again, I believe she has some personal life problems which do happen and I hope everything is okay for her.

Someone from VAC just called me to say that she had to cancel and she'll call me sometime next week hopefully.

Not much you can do about that. I hope everything goes well for you when you do get to see your CM.

Good luck brother!

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 Thu 11 May 2017, 13:22

Well she had to cancel again, I believe she has some personal life problems which do happen and I hope everything is okay for her.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 May 2017, 00:25

SaintJohn18182 wrote:I actually went to the "What Can I Apply For" on My VAC with my Wife and went absolutely nuts she helped me fill out anything and everything even though I would not qualify for it.. like VIP. I hope my case manager doesn't think I'm crazy for applying for everything.

I'm meeting with her in two days, it was interesting to read all your negative comments about CMs but at least some of you, after some persistence, got through to them.

I'm really nervous and haven't slept in over a week, thank god for medical marijuana.
I'm thinking of making a small list of things I want her to know whenever we meet.

I'll tell her that I really want to continue on with my psychology lessons even though its not really getting me anywhere, and continue to be medicated with the 3 damn pills I'm on plus medical marijuana lol.

Hopefully after Friday I'll be able to sleep.

Regardless, thank you all for listening me vent and this is an amazing place where I actually feel welcomed and cared for unlike many other places.

Good luck SaintJohn with meeting up with your CM. Make that list of things you want to ask and have clarity on. It will help keep you focused and on track.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Wed 10 May 2017, 22:50

I wish VAC would operate like the Commissionaires used to. Where you had to be a Veteran, or have a Veteran/still serving member in your immediate family, to work for VAC. Or at least priority hiring over someone without those personal connections to the people they will serve. Now that being said, not all CM's are bad. I know mine was a God send, when I got to the point of being unable to work.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 Wed 10 May 2017, 19:41

I actually went to the "What Can I Apply For" on My VAC with my Wife and went absolutely nuts she helped me fill out anything and everything even though I would not qualify for it.. like VIP. I hope my case manager doesn't think I'm crazy for applying for everything.

I'm meeting with her in two days, it was interesting to read all your negative comments about CMs but at least some of you, after some persistence, got through to them.

I'm really nervous and haven't slept in over a week, thank god for medical marijuana.
I'm thinking of making a small list of things I want her to know whenever we meet.

I'll tell her that I really want to continue on with my psychology lessons even though its not really getting me anywhere, and continue to be medicated with the 3 damn pills I'm on plus medical marijuana lol.

Hopefully after Friday I'll be able to sleep.

Regardless, thank you all for listening me vent and this is an amazing place where I actually feel welcomed and cared for unlike many other places.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 16:12

It is completely normal for a Veteran who has been told or advised by their case manager that they will not qualify for a certain benefit to believe what that case manager has stated. Rather the Veteran is new to the system, or disoriented from their medical conditions, or medication their taken, most just give up at that point and believe that they are not deserving of the benefit, or benefits. This happens far to often, as stated in some of the above post. Of course if they give up, they will never truly know what they qualify for. This is not good for any Veteran, and certainly not fair, and should not ever happen. Most of the time those Veterans who apply anyway, over the advise given to them by their case manager to not apply, get approved anyway, from what they were told otherwise from their case manager.

What can we do to help those caught up in this type of situation?

As members of this forum, we need to keep our eyes open for those posting post that reflect the negativity given to them by their case managers, we need to remind them, and push them to apply anyway, or apply on your own.
We need to remind them of our own situations where we took it upon ourselves to apply on our own, when we told by our case manager that we would not qualify. We need to remind them that if their case manager is not supportive, get rid of them, ask for another case manager, or go on your own.

This team effort I believe will help many Veterans.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Tue 09 May 2017, 13:31

Ya hear, you all on CM's. I think most of us have run across a crappy one. Mine used to get my file mixed up with others when we where talking on the phone. And I also give Kudos to MFT. VAC could learn alot about treating Vets from these folks. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 10:44

I should have reported her to the governing body she was a part, but I was naive back then, it was a long time ago now. Hopefully, she learned not to do that type of thing again.

And ya MFT are a great bunch of people who went that extra mile in helping me too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum