Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disability Application Suspensions?

2 posters

Go down

Disability Application Suspensions? Empty Re: Disability Application Suspensions?

Post by Guest Tue 09 Apr 2019, 20:49

Crockett wrote:I had this happen to me last year, my application sat at step three for two months and then was reverted back to step two.  I called and was told I needed to get my doctor to re-do the medical questionnaire.  Just so you know, after I had everything re-done my application went back to step 1.  I started this process two years ago and finally today my CM informed that it was a favorable decision...now I just have to wait for the letter and pension award amount.
yes that’s what happened to me, was at step 2 for 10 months, they needed more information, got it, and moved the claim back to step 1, you would think after getting the info they were missing it woould advance to step 3, but no, like everything else surrounding VAC, it’s ass backwards, lol

Back to top Go down

Disability Application Suspensions? Empty Suspension of applications

Post by Crockett Tue 09 Apr 2019, 17:49

I had this happen to me last year, my application sat at step three for two months and then was reverted back to step two. I called and was told I needed to get my doctor to re-do the medical questionnaire. Just so you know, after I had everything re-done my application went back to step 1. I started this process two years ago and finally today my CM informed that it was a favorable decision...now I just have to wait for the letter and pension award amount.

Crockett
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2019-04-04

Back to top Go down

Disability Application Suspensions? Empty Re: Disability Application Suspensions?

Post by Guest Sun 07 Apr 2019, 18:04

Rubicon wrote:Sleeping Dog, I currently have 6 applications "Suspended" in My VAC Account from as far back as 2013. One application was reapplied and awarded within 4 months back in 2013. Another is currently at Step 2 in its reapplication and hopefully it too will be awarded as it is consequential to an awarded condition. Two of the six suspended applications were just referred to in a one paragraph note on the tail end of another award which was totally unrelated to either consequential condition. The note was just a paragraph that said one of my awarded conditions covers the two other conditions per the "Departmental Entitlement Eligibility Guidelines". I engaged the Bureau of Pension Advocates (BPA) who counselled me to take the suspensions to VRAB only to change their minds shortly thereafter and say re-apply for the condition(s) as consequential once again. Their advice was supposedly based upon a change that occurred at VAC with respect to how applications were more positively being awarded. Since my application is now at Step 2, only time will tell if that holds true. In my case, without any further actions by me, my suspensions will remain listed as "suspended". On my VAC Account if I were to click on the word "suspended" it says to give VAC a call. Hope this helps. I would give the BPA a call and see how they say to handle your specific case.

Rubicon
thanks, I’ll be doing that Monday, I mean the claim sat at step 3 for 10 months, then I got a notification that it’s status changed so it l looked at it said “ suspended call”. I doubt it’s a good sign.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubicon Sun 07 Apr 2019, 17:37

Sleeping Dog, I currently have 6 applications "Suspended" in My VAC Account from as far back as 2013. One application was reapplied and awarded within 4 months back in 2013. Another is currently at Step 2 in its reapplication and hopefully it too will be awarded as it is consequential to an awarded condition. Two of the six suspended applications were just referred to in a one paragraph note on the tail end of another award which was totally unrelated to either consequential condition. The note was just a paragraph that said one of my awarded conditions covers the two other conditions per the "Departmental Entitlement Eligibility Guidelines". I engaged the Bureau of Pension Advocates (BPA) who counselled me to take the suspensions to VRAB only to change their minds shortly thereafter and say re-apply for the condition(s) as consequential once again. Their advice was supposedly based upon a change that occurred at VAC with respect to how applications were more positively being awarded. Since my application is now at Step 2, only time will tell if that holds true. In my case, without any further actions by me, my suspensions will remain listed as "suspended". On my VAC Account if I were to click on the word "suspended" it says to give VAC a call. Hope this helps. I would give the BPA a call and see how they say to handle your specific case.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2019, 20:13

Rubicon wrote:     Good morning all from Rubicon. I apologize up front for this long rant. This is my first post but I have been gleaning information from your posts for a while now and I appreciate this Forum for all that I have learned.  If only VAC and its processes were as forthcoming and expedient with an answer as you folks. Someone had commented a while ago that all Case Managers (CM) are not the same and when you get one that works with you, you really appreciate that "angel" for who they are when it comes to the application process and the medical board wait times.  As I type this I am on hold on the phone with VAC awaiting an answer to a question why my last 3 disability applications have all been "suspended". This is a first for me. The first suspension was because the physician did not apparently fill out the follow-up paperwork. I know why that was and explained to VAC that physicians these days will not fill out paperwork without an office visit by the patient. It is the proverbial "sausage machine" mentally with OHIP in Ontario. There is this perceived numbers game whereby they gotta see you so they can bill someone. At least that is the case with my family physician. They diagnosed the condition (hypertension) so they expect to milk whatever they can out of it. I get that to a point and I have advised my physician that they can also bill VAC for filling out the paperwork in addition to OHIP for my office visit.
    So this morning I get another secure e-mail from VAC saying two additional applications have been suspended with no explanation given; please contact us. Has anyone else experienced this lately with VAC and how was it handled? In the first instance I told my CM to send me the paperwork so I can get an appointment booked and get the paperwork filled out. I suspect with this morning's two new suspensions that it is the same once again but I have to book with a neurologist in the GTA which can be a 6 month wait game or longer. Why doesn't VAC get this and realize that this is contributing to their medical backlog? Is this intentional in order that the veteran might say "to hell with it" and give up altogether? I think I might have a simple solution to this. Any further correspondence I have with VAC will include a courtesy copy to the Honourable Kent Hehr while at the same time advising VAC that I have raised the issue to the "Ministerial" level. Remember, all postal correspondence to your MP is postage free. Thanks for listening, I needed that ...
I realize this post is old , but is that in fact what " suspension" of a claim means, that it is dismissed? I like you thought the same when I just saw it on a claim, I thought, well it cant be thrown out, if VAC needed more information, wouldn`t they contact me and say " we need more information from your Dr.". So actually "suspended" does not mean dealt with, it means thrown in the garbage?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubicon Fri 17 Mar 2017, 16:01

Thanks Trooper, you have just confirmed what I suspected all along. Either we are both nuts or there is some degree of truth to there being some resistance at VAC to aiding the veteran with disability claims. And I am noticing its prevalence more and more. It wasn't like that in the beginning of my applications circa 2005 pre-Veterans Charter; sure there might have been the odd denial but it was overturned upon appeal in most instances. The only "angels" I have dealt with as Case Managers have either been former military, military spouses or dependents. The rest seem to care less and act like the funds are theirs to keep. I have just engaged the Minister of Veterans Affairs asking for a Ministerial Review of my outstanding applications and I have also provided CTV's W5 and CBC's the fifth estate with a story suggestion on following a military veteran's disability application as it winds its way thru the broken system. Here's hoping it lights a fire ...
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Mar 2017, 13:22

Rubicon,

Welcome aboard, there's a reason why VAC looks for every little detail with applications, simply put, they do not want to run themselves out of a job. The whole system is geared towards this very thing, they pin point everything to keep everything at a slow paste, not steady, slow.
One has to wonder when an application is sent in and questions arise from the application, surely they can type a message to a CM or anyone who can contact the Veteran to get this fixed, with the support an assistance from VAC. They don't want things to speed up, they want things to last as long as possible to ensure long term work security for themselves. It's the same with all applications and VRAB, they always have excuses on delays.

Back to top Go down

Disability Application Suspensions? Empty Disability Application Suspensions?

Post by Rubicon Fri 17 Mar 2017, 13:02

Good morning all from Rubicon. I apologize up front for this long rant. This is my first post but I have been gleaning information from your posts for a while now and I appreciate this Forum for all that I have learned. If only VAC and its processes were as forthcoming and expedient with an answer as you folks. Someone had commented a while ago that all Case Managers (CM) are not the same and when you get one that works with you, you really appreciate that "angel" for who they are when it comes to the application process and the medical board wait times. As I type this I am on hold on the phone with VAC awaiting an answer to a question why my last 3 disability applications have all been "suspended". This is a first for me. The first suspension was because the physician did not apparently fill out the follow-up paperwork. I know why that was and explained to VAC that physicians these days will not fill out paperwork without an office visit by the patient. It is the proverbial "sausage machine" mentally with OHIP in Ontario. There is this perceived numbers game whereby they gotta see you so they can bill someone. At least that is the case with my family physician. They diagnosed the condition (hypertension) so they expect to milk whatever they can out of it. I get that to a point and I have advised my physician that they can also bill VAC for filling out the paperwork in addition to OHIP for my office visit.
So this morning I get another secure e-mail from VAC saying two additional applications have been suspended with no explanation given; please contact us. Has anyone else experienced this lately with VAC and how was it handled? In the first instance I told my CM to send me the paperwork so I can get an appointment booked and get the paperwork filled out. I suspect with this morning's two new suspensions that it is the same once again but I have to book with a neurologist in the GTA which can be a 6 month wait game or longer. Why doesn't VAC get this and realize that this is contributing to their medical backlog? Is this intentional in order that the veteran might say "to hell with it" and give up altogether? I think I might have a simple solution to this. Any further correspondence I have with VAC will include a courtesy copy to the Honourable Kent Hehr while at the same time advising VAC that I have raised the issue to the "Ministerial" level. Remember, all postal correspondence to your MP is postage free. Thanks for listening, I needed that ...
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down