Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

+26
propat
SaintJohn18182
frustrated
xtraforus
Tilap61
Rifleman
Newfie
By the Bay
bog6
Nemo
Rustytheviking
pinger
Teager
bosn181
Armygunner
Cctchevy18
Mike77
Slaket
cosmo12
bigrex
Dannypaj
johnny211
Willie
Vet1234
czerv
30 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 12 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:46

Artie,
I can assure you an in person visit with a CM in your area will help you a lot. Face to Face it will clear up your concerns.

Back to top Go down

Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)  - Page 12 Empty Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA) and the Career Impact Allowance Supplement (CIAS)

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:44

Normally you can request a DEC via Case manager
or the case manager does it after your on CIA for 2 yrs
once you get DEC you are able to apply for CIA s

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:36

ScottyG - As one who is over that age you mentioned,,lol --55., I am curious on where that is in the Pension Act? Tks, Old and Cranky Rad Op, Out..Lol ,,VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:33

Yes you can apply while waiting for a CIA decision.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:30

bosn181 wrote:cia is one payment and cias is another payment that you get if your approved dec and you apply for cias and also get approved
So can someone apply for DEC while awaiting the outcome of a CIA decision?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:28

ScottyG wrote:I read about grandfathering under Pen Act, after age 55 it cant be reduced in "most cases" LOL
well I guess I`m safe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:15

I read about grandfathering under Pen Act, after age 55 it cant be reduced in "most cases" LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 16:09

ScottyG wrote:I think this is a good question:
How does your age affect the reassessment for CIA and CIAs & you were Deemed DEC. If your over 65 are you required to get Reassessment every 2 years? Cant imagine a 90 yr old Vet requiring to continue this for life. I wonder if Veteran affair has a policy on this post 60  post 65 etc??? If you know the answer can you post the reference ..thanks
as usual VAC contradicts themselves, if you read all the information you will find a sentence that says CIA/DEC is for life, another sentence else where says they are reassessed every 2-5 years

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 15:44

I think this is a good question:
How does your age affect the reassessment for CIA and CIAs & you were Deemed DEC. If your over 65 are you required to get Reassessment every 2 years? Cant imagine a 90 yr old Vet requiring to continue this for life. I wonder if Veteran affair has a policy on this post 60  post 65 etc??? If you know the answer can you post the reference ..thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:14

Bruce72 wrote:Bigrex

You are bang on. I'm not DEC, but my psychologist says he believes I cannot be employed 40 hours a week, he says 16 hours a week would be more appropriate because I have a volatile temper that I have little control over due to PTSD.

He's currently drawing up a letter for VAC detailing my symptoms and circumstances.

I have no problem with working, but I need to minimize my exposure to stress, because when I'm under stress I do and say reprehensible things to people.

I'm lucky my friends and family have stood by me, but ask them and they'll say that I can be a monumental prick, and that our relationships are under strain most of the time.

If I knew then what I know now, I would never have enlisted in the Army. All I ever wanted to do was eliminate as many of Canada's enemies as possible.
How did this pan out for you, I am currently in a similar state as my workplace is about to terminate me for PTSD symptoms, I don`t know what`s next for me, you can PM me as well, thx.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:08

bosn181 wrote:not sure if this will help but when they looked at mine they went off my pre release salary and used the money i currently get from my military, sisip, and cpp disability pension and vac elb money and told me i currently receive 53% of my pre release salary even though i don't work so i was put at stage 2.  so i would assume the way it looked to me if you take your money your receive and see how much of your pre release salary and see where you sit on there % chart you should be able to get an idea of where or what you should be able to apply and get
I can`t even remember what I was getting paid prior to release some 20 years ago, but you mentioned they did a calculation on you but you were also NOT working, I wonder if they did the same calculation on me , come out with the same number,will they say "oh he also has a job, add that money" - sorry not entitled to anything?

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:06

cia is one payment and cias is another payment that you get if your approved dec and you apply for cias and also get approved

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:00

Trooper wrote:
ScottyG wrote:If you have a DEC determination but do not have CIA or CIA(s) why would you not get CIA? Do you have to apply for it?

Yes, you have to apply for the CIA.

To qualify for the CIA you would need to have a severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefit, and have a VAC-approved application for rehabilitation services.

The DEC would help those who already have the CIA, move to a higher level, and also would qualify you for the CIA Supplement.
So assuming I`m approved for CIA...CIAS and DEC are two separate sources of income I can apply for or can you only receive CIAS or DEC based on the level of your imparement?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:58

[quote="bigrex"]You can absolutely work, as long as you meet the criteria. There are currently two types of criteria for CIA. one is strictly the level of disability, and the second is the inability to earn a percentage of deemed income (DEC, compare

"The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:

a. is in receipt of CIA

b. has been determined to have “diminished earning capacity" (DEC).

d to how many possible years in the CF you lost, due to the disability."

So can someone be approved for CIA but not DEC?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next