Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders

4 posters

Go down

Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders Empty Re: Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders

Post by Dannypaj Wed 14 Jun 2017, 06:13

"Tell it the way it is!"
Veterans Affairs Canada needs to here it in real time.
Learn, improve and help our injured veterans and their family.
"It is all about your QoL ", like ScottyG said.
Once the fundamental building block of financial support is in place for life for the injured veteran (to remind you has just lost his/her career) maybe then the healing process can take place.
How can you heal when you have no career, no income and you're injured?
We've seen some changes transpire. Some people are being approved, or moved up to higher levels, just on this site alone.
Also there are veterans that are still  being afforded the cost of 10 grams a day (With proper medical docs).
There is always room for improvement!
But only the guests that read this site know.
Dannypaj
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders Empty Re: Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders

Post by Vet1234 Tue 13 Jun 2017, 22:24

Ya.... I don't think so ScottyG
Pension "option"
RISB IS 70% and I foresee the policy on prescribed sources changing and whittling it down further.
I'm still getting taxed on my "earnings loss benefit " CIA and the supplement.
You've got to fill out a million applications and hit the buzz criteria words to get approved. More denials than approvals.
I applied for FCRB.... denied. Re applied for FCRB added 5 words.... approved. The whole thing is FUBAR a bloody gagglef###..
The whole VAC administration needs to get culled and bring in someone new and not moronic. The NCCN is waste of time. CASE Managers can't do shit and no one talks to anyone
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 19:05

Well Trooper,   IMO
Thanks to this place Veteran voice and so many others Veterans support groups.  Our veterans QOL has improved dramatically over the last 5 years. I know your fully aware of these changes.
The application and approval process is way to long but it moving in the right direction SLOWLY. The return of lifelong pensions will not be the end of the road either. I do believe,when so many others dont, it will return. Will it be taxable, likely.
What isnt taxable nowadays; other than,DA lumpsum,caregiver allowance,VIP,travel to medicals, all other direct medical cost ie; equipment and supplies. etc etc
We all need to focus on speeding up the process getting the benefits quicker to the ill veterans.
We also need a return of survivors benefits with the old PA system it WAS in place.

The positive news is I know of several veterans with several Pension Awards that include CIA CIA S elb top up to 90% & they will never drop below 70% .
Once it is determined that their condition is related to military service they can access so many programs. Many are to help them/us sort out their new world on civy street.
The days of the 88 year old WW2 artillery officer who was turned down for hearing aids is over !  That type of situation was under the old PA not happening under the new veteran charter .
This fall when they roll out the return of the lifelong pensions along with the all the other programs availiable we will have fixed the system ALMOST!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 18:23

ScottyG wrote:How many governments, how many VAC ministers, do u need to  see nothing really changes. I am 50 years old and 30 plus years watching politics ....BUT

Things have improved, lots of improvements just it takes so long.

If the PM replaces him it will be all the same. The PM is the controller,only during elections do the people get to influence political direction.....

The next major Veteran Affairs policy changes will occur when we get a new governement and only if Veterans rally and vote on mass.
Another point is when Mike Blais got booted someone on his facebook pages tried to get a petition going to get JT to place him back on. Out of 12000 veterans on his page after a month he couldnt get 300 to sign ....
Vets need to support him

If I was Mike Blais I would not want to be apart of that organization. This organization is being used by Hehr for public relations. Read what has been displayed from these meetings and you will see that the main points of importance are being missed big time. Everyone knows full well there's more to Veterans disability benefits than Financial well being, you don't need to be educated to know this, but what you should know is that Financial well being has to be the building block of disability benefits. In other words you need to ensure that disabled veterans are financially stabled FIRST, and I don't mean taxed support either, after this has been looked after, then and only then other types of benefits should be looked at. What is happening now is that everything is being done in reversed, and taxed at that. These other benefits are overshadowing the main building block of disability financial stability, stability that needs to be prioritized like that of the old pension act. Welcome to the (New Veterans Charter), a charter that will be forever a nightmare for those Canadian Forces members who find themselves medically released.

If you can read between the lines with what was stated in the article about relaxing the forces readiness policy on deployments, how do you think this is going to affect future decisions on VAC applications?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 17:48

teentitan wrote:IMO Hehr's replacement should be Karen McCrimmon.  A ret'd Lt-Col who, from what I have heard, has been working behind the curtain on veteran issues since day 1.  

Trooper the article that Bruce Moncur wrote about having a confidence vote amongst veterans at the next summit, and Hehr letting Mike Blais Advisory Group give him the boot does not sit well with JT.  

I've read a few articles as well about how the Libs use the VAC file as a positive PR tool by announcing improvements a year before implementation.  The media is catching on and they are pressing on the negative button.

Another reason I think McCrimmon would be a good replacement is the new Career Transition branch the CF is going to start.  VAC needs someone who understands the military and how they can seamlessly put VAC into the department.  Hehr can't do that and Uncle Walt seems to be that veteran in a high position  that veterans are losing respect for.

Teen,

I'm sticking to my beliefs, Hehr is going nowhere. The media can publish or show all the discrepancies within the merits of what Hehr as fulfilled, but Hehr has got that covered well with the movements of implementing a list of implementations that fits into his mandate given to him. It means nothing that some are unhappy with what was implemented, or the way they were implemented. The bottom line is that movement on our file has come to light. Both Hehr and JT will read that list of implementations to any, or all who question their commitments to Veterans period. They have done their homework and beat us lock stock and barrel, we need to except that as a given, and move on. They neither have the time, or dignity to learn in detail our file, they leave that to the bureaucrats who ultimately are the ones who run our file. The time to hit them has come and gone, we can surely continue to advocate, but I don't see any advancements in this regard at least until the next election.

Remember folks, we are dealing with politicians, politicians who look after themselves first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 17:41

How many governments, how many VAC ministers, do u need to see nothing really changes. I am 50 years old and 30 plus years watching politics ....BUT

Things have improved, lots of improvements just it takes so long.

If the PM replaces him it will be all the same. The PM is the controller,only during elections do the people get to influence political direction.....

The next major Veteran Affairs policy changes will occur when we get a new governement and only if Veterans rally and vote on mass.
Another point is when Mike Blais got booted someone on his facebook pages tried to get a petition going to get JT to place him back on. Out of 12000 veterans on his page after a month he couldnt get 300 to sign ....
Vets need to support him

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan Tue 13 Jun 2017, 15:33

IMO Hehr's replacement should be Karen McCrimmon. A ret'd Lt-Col who, from what I have heard, has been working behind the curtain on veteran issues since day 1.

Trooper the article that Bruce Moncur wrote about having a confidence vote amongst veterans at the next summit, and Hehr letting Mike Blais Advisory Group give him the boot does not sit well with JT.

I've read a few articles as well about how the Libs use the VAC file as a positive PR tool by announcing improvements a year before implementation. The media is catching on and they are pressing on the negative button.

Another reason I think McCrimmon would be a good replacement is the new Career Transition branch the CF is going to start. VAC needs someone who understands the military and how they can seamlessly put VAC into the department. Hehr can't do that and Uncle Walt seems to be that veteran in a high position that veterans are losing respect for.
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Tue 13 Jun 2017, 15:17

This Herr guy is as useless for veterans as ..... . I would be very happy if he is one term politician (like that Fantino guy). That is my election goal.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 13:57

In my opinion Hehr is not going anywhere. He is useless as Minister of Veterans Affairs, but his extremely well positioned in the way he has handled himself thus far. In our Prime Ministers eyes there's only a hand full of Veterans who are unhappy with the Liberals in terms of what they have done thus far with the Veterans file. In fact you will see a good number of Veterans happy with the Liberals, especially those older ones who wanted the offices re-opened as a priority. As it stands today, our Minister can go in front of any camera and state factually all of what his department has done thus far on our file, it means absolutely nothing to the general public for those who pick apart what has been implemented, the bottom line to the general public is it happened, and this makes our Minister shine and keeps his boss happy. So why would Kent Hehr be moved from his current position?

I think in order for us to have a good Minister we would need an individual who is willing to learn in detail our file, then he would need to listen to Veterans with an open mindset to follow up in complete of what is being asked for. He would need to stand up to the bureaucrats who are the ones who are really running our file, without this, we will continue to lose ground and continue to be screwed over as we have been. In my opinion short of a full blown inquiry, our chances of advancing in terms of Hehr or a replacement for real factual change in character is limited, if not impossible before the Liberals end term. JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Jun 2017, 11:16

As the World Turns ...changes in veteran affairs minister is the status Quo ..... ho hum ! LOVE CDN POLITIC SO PREDICTABLE ..... Want some sad excitiment check out North Korea ? We live in the finest countries in the world ....Our Ill Veterans are winning the battle too!

Back to top Go down

Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders Empty Trudeau could shuffle cabinet this summer, prorogue Parliament in fall, say insiders

Post by Teentitan Tue 13 Jun 2017, 10:53

LAURA RYCKEWAERT, RACHEL AIELLO
PUBLISHED : Monday, June 12, 2017 12:00 AM

Underperforming ministers could see themselves shuffled out of their portfolios in the coming months.

PARLIAMENT HILL—With the summer break coming almost halfway through the Liberal government’s four-year mandate, speculation of a summer cabinet shuffle is swirling, along with the possibility of a fall prorogation, and sources say it could be a chance to hit the reset button and prep the front bench for the next election in 2019.

“This does tend to be the time [to shuffle cabinet]. It’s the mid-way period through a government’s mandate, and the summer period gives everybody a time, once the House isn’t sitting, to kind of collectively catch their breath, and it’s really up to the prime minister who will figure out if he thinks people are in the right positions or not,” said Greg MacEachern, senior vice-president of government relations at Environics Communications.

Along with a cabinet shuffle, the prorogation of Parliament and subsequent Throne Speech, would offer a chance for government to retune its agenda.

“World events have significantly changed since the swearing-in in 2015. … That may be another reason that a prorogation, new agenda, new Speech from the Throne, new mandate letters, may be advantageous,” said Mr. MacEachern.

There is “mass speculation” that a cabinet shuffle will happen this summer, said Andrew Balfour, senior consultant with Navigator Ltd.

“Two years into a mandate is always a good time for a reset and to begin looking forward to the next election. I don’t know who’s going to go where, but I’d be surprised if there wasn’t, at a minimum, a tweak,” Mr. Balfour said. “There hasn’t been a full shuffle and we’re two years in, so that’s adding a lot of fuel to the speculation game.”

A Liberal source familiar with such deliberations, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said if a shuffle happens this summer, “you would want to do it prior to national caucus” convening for a summer retreat, while prorogation would be likely to happen “the Friday before the House comes back.”

“You don’t want to leave Parliament in a state of prorogation; world events are a little too fragile at the moment,” said the Liberal source.

The office of Liberal MP Francis Scarpaleggia (Lac-Saint-Louis, Que.), who chairs the national Liberal caucus, told The Hill Times last week that the caucus’ end-of-summer retreat is scheduled for Sept. 5-8, with the location to be announced shortly. The House, meanwhile, is scheduled to return for the fall on Sept. 18.

The Liberal source said there are two criteria likely in play for a shuffle.

“The first would be who around the current cabinet table isn’t running again … if you can elevate somebody into cabinet and it might help their chances of re-election, especially some of the Quebec ridings that were four-way splits [in 2015]. That just makes a lot of sense,” said the source. “The second would be, let’s reward who’s moving their files,” and “shuffle out people that aren’t, for whatever reason, moving their files.”

The Liberal source said it’s expected the shuffle would be relatively big, and that “they were going to also look at moving around staff, which would underscore the notion that it’s all about ramping up performance levels.”

“If they brought in three or four new people, I’d consider that big,” said the source. “New governments generally try to start with very small cabinets … then as they go through their mandate. The cabinet tends to grow.”

Other Liberal sources have previously told The Hill Times that the summer parliamentary recess would be the best time for the shuffle and a new Throne Speech. This will give new ministers time to prepare and get ready for the fall sitting.

Some Liberal MPs said that for a caucus of 184 MPs, a 30-member cabinet with an equal number of men and women is too small.

“We have so many qualified MPs. Trudeau can get at least one more, if not two, well qualified cabinet ministers from this caucus,” said one Liberal MP previously.

Rumours of prorogation have been spiralling around the Hill for months. When asked about whether prorogation was on the table last Thursday, Government House Leader Bardish Chagger (Waterloo, Ont.) told The Hill Times, “I don’t think that’s a question for me,” adding that what she’s heard from her colleagues and the prime minister is that the government wants to advance mandate commitments.

“I’m here to advance an ambitious agenda that we committed to Canadians and I will do everything that I can to work with colleagues on both sides of the House to ensure that we are delivering for Canadians,” said Ms. Chagger.

Meanwhile, last week, the government made a number of significant policy announcements, including a major address to the House by Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland (University-Rosedale, Ont.) on the government’s foreign policy priorities, and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan’s (Vancouver South, B.C.) announcement of the results of the government’s defence policy review.

The Liberal source said while these “big announcements” have the “kind of messaging you might find in a Throne Speech. … There’s something about a Throne Speech that pulls it all together and lets everybody know for the next two years: ‘here’s what direction we’re going to be pulling our oars.’ ”

A second Liberal source said these significant steps seem to be about wanting substantive things in the window as soon as possible, and that “the government is sensitive to claims it is all about the sizzle and not the steak.”

In terms of who may not run in the next election and get shuffled out, one factor could be age. Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay (Cardigan, P.E.I.) is the oldest minister, turning 71 this September, having first been elected in 1988.

Some ministers in the 30-person cabinet are juggling more than one portfolio. Ms. Chagger, as government House leader and minister for Small Business and Tourism; Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr (Winnipeg South Centre, Man.), who is interim- Public Services minister since Judy Foote (Bonavista-Burin-Trinity, N.L.) announced in April she was taking a leave of absence for family and personal reasons. Mr. Trudeau also has the titles of minister of Youth and of Intergovernmental Affairs.

Sources said Ms. Freeland, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale (Regina-Wascana, Sask.), Health Minister Jane Philpott (Markham-Stouffville, Ont.), and Finance Minister Bill Morneau (Toronto Centre, Ont.) are all strong performers likely to be safe from any cabinet swap-outs—though one source suggested Mr. Goodale could be moved into a portfolio in need of better handling, like Defence.

Mr. Sajjan, a rookie to Parliament and to politics, is seen as having “diminished credibility” after his comments about being “the architect” of Operation Medusa in Afghanistan in 2006, as Maclean’s magazine’s John Geddes put it in a May 8 piece. Mr. Geddes wrote that Mr. Trudeau’s cabinet, “once touted as star-studded, is badly underperforming—and the pressure’s now on to deliver.” He also highlighted Treasury Board President Scott Brison (Kings-Hants, N.S.) as being “in jeopardy of being tagged for under-delivering,” among others.

The second Liberal source said Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr’s (Calgary Centre, Alta.) office is seen as performing poorly, and that he could be shuffled elsewhere in cabinet.

Both defence and trade are becoming “important” files for the government, said the first Liberal source, and a Throne Speech “would give them the opportunity to reframe that narrative.”

One name that both sources said they’ve heard mentioned for promotion to cabinet is new Liberal MP Mary Ng (Markham-Thornhill, Ont.), the former director of appointments in the Prime Minister’s Office. Along with being female she would add more ethnic diversity to cabinet.

There are a number of factors to be weighed in when shaping cabinet, from regional representation to gender and ethnic representation.

While shuffles can be a chance to reward strong players or elevate new up-and-comers, it can also be “disruptive” for caucus, noted the first Liberal source, as many won’t be left satisfied.

“This is a government that’s committed to gender parity and ethnic parity. It’s a cabinet that reflects the country, and they’re not going to be knocked off that path, and that’s not good news for some people on a personal level,” said the source.

The government is also looking at Bill C-24 as one of a host of bills it would like to see pass before the House rises. The legislation seeks to amend the Salaries Act to codify that the five ministers of state positions that this government made full cabinet ministers have full salaries and authority, and to provide salaries for three additional ministers.

When Mr. Trudeau appointed his first cabinet with gender parity in November 2015—15 women, 15 men (including Mr. Trudeau)—five female ministers were appointed as ministers of state, traditionally junior ministers who assist full cabinet member, “to be styled as” full ministers.

At the time, the government said those five were indeed full ministers with full cabinet privileges, but were appointed as ministers of state due to laws outlining different roles in cabinet, and were receiving full salaries equal to their peers. This bill is the formal legislative change needed to institute what’s already being done in practice.

The five portfolios that would be impacted are: La Francophonie, held by Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau (Compton-Stanstead, Que.), who’s also responsible for International Development; Status of Women, currently held by Minister Maryam Monsef (Peterborough-Kawartha, Ont.); Sport and Disabilities, held by Minister Carla Qualtrough (Delta, B.C.); Small Business and Tourism, held by Ms. Chagger; and Science Minister Kirsty Duncan’s (Etobicoke North, Ont.) role.

news@hilltimes.com
The Hill Times

The Current Federal Cabinet, By Order of Precedence:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, also Minister for Youth and Intergovernmental Affairs
Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Minister Ralph Goodale
Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lawrence MacAulay
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett
Treasury Board President Scott Brison
Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard Minister Dominic LeBlanc
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains
Finance Minister Bill Morneau
Justice Minister and Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould
Public Services and Procurement Minister Judy Foote
Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland
Health Minister Jane Philpott
Families, Children, and Social Development Minister Jean-Yves Duclos
Transport Minister Marc Garneau
International Development and La Francophonie Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau
Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr
Canadian Heritage Minister Mélanie Joly
National Revenue Minister Diane Lebouthillier
Veterans Affairs and Associate Defence Minister Kent Hehr
Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna
National Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan
Infrastructure and Communities Minister Amarjeet Sohi
Status of Women Minister Maryam Monsef
Sport and Persons with Disabilities Minister Carla Qualtrough
Science Minister Kirsty Duncan
Employment, Workforce Development, and Labour Minister Patricia Hajdu
Government House Leader and Small Business and Tourism Minister Bardish Chagger
International Trade Minister François-Philippe Champagne
Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister Ahmed Hussen

http://www.hilltimes.com/2017/06/12/speculation-swirling-around-summer-cabinet-shuffle-prorogation-say-sources/110031?mc_cid=68124ef582&mc_eid=a8596d8e41
Teentitan
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum