Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Seamus O'Regan to be named federal minister of Veterans Affairs

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Seamus O'Regan to be named federal minister of Veterans Affairs

Post by pinger on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 18:08

Words just fail me, but I quote you Trooper... (not out of context)

"the bureaucrats are the very first individuals he meets and those are the individuals who he will be learning from. "

The very darn first... individuals he should be meeting with are the fracked up vets in the streets and some of those of us waiting forever for delayed applications..
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1246
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 16:55

Hehr was removed because he did not handle the file properly. If your go to answer is a mandate letter your a duck on the pond destined to be cooked for dinner.

Plus he DID give too much power to the bureaucrats and it was becoming obvious.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3314
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 16:40

teentitan wrote:Trooper I think Seamus is going to fight the bureaucrats and their thirst for control.

In all the years I've been following veteran issues the head of the union has complained about the lack of workers but the "we have to work with this budget" I've never read or heard before.

I read that as a threat by the head of the union that they will slow their work down to upset veterans and make a point to Seamus that they are the ones in charge.  

The rest of this year is starting to look ugly for veterans.

I sure hope he does because this is what our file needs to succeed, it will certainly surprise me if he does because the bureaucrats are the very first individuals he meets and those are the individuals who he will be learning from. It won't take long to find out where Seamus stands as we like the bureaucrats have been around our file for awhile and we certainly know what to look for.

One other point I'd like to make is about Hehr and he's quick removal of Minister, I'm wondering if Hehr's public promise for the lifelong pension to be in place by the end of this year was inaccurate and that is why he was removed?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 16:23

Trooper I think Seamus is going to fight the bureaucrats and their thirst for control.

In all the years I've been following veteran issues the head of the union has complained about the lack of workers but the "we have to work with this budget" I've never read or heard before.

I read that as a threat by the head of the union that they will slow their work down to upset veterans and make a point to Seamus that they are the ones in charge.

The rest of this year is starting to look ugly for veterans.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 16:13

Seamus has the opportunity to make some real proactive positive change on the Veterans file if he can show the bureaucrats from day one that it is he who's in charge, it is he that will look hard at what the bureaucrats brings to him, and it is he who will not be afraid to throw what's brought to him right back at the bureaucrats if he so chooses to do so. In other words he needs to show the bureaucrats that he will challenge them if need be.

The new Minister stating that he has a lot to learn tells me right there that things will be once again run by the bureaucrats, our file will continue to be in chaos and the NVC Veterans will be once again forced to continue fighting for benefits.

People need to wake up and unite together in understanding what the governments of this Country is doing in terms of how they run the Veterans file. How many more years are we going to see the chaos within the Veterans file? We don't have a union to stand for us, we are not united in regards to advocating and advocating groups, Gap fixing will not make things right because it is simply a work around the main problem. You can forget about attending meetings with the government because those meetings are set up for PR, and to be honest once the bureaucrats have their fingers wrapped around the Minister there's nothing Veterans or Veterans groups can do to make the Minister go against the bureaucrats.

It does not matter who gets the appointment of Veterans Affairs Minister, a Veteran, a non Veteran, an individual with a disability or even a former Alcoholic. What matters is whether that individual orders and challenges what the bureaucrats write up, this is what's important because so far it has been the bureaucrats running the file which is why we find our file in such a chaos state. Advocating groups should be focusing on public events including the media to not only inform the Country of the situation with the bureaucrats, but to put pressure on individuals such as the Veterans Minister to revamp/remove those within the bureaucratic Veterans file so that the Minister can actually run the Veterans file in a way that puts a stop to all the chaos that's been surrounding our file since April 2006.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 16:00

The GoC HAS the money to accomodate our file. Cutting 1/4 of the redtape of those 3 things is just a fracking nickel Teen. But enter the optics of it... Sad

Here's a prerequisite for an MVA... fracking battle school !!!  Ahh.. wouldn't that be so so sweet?
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 15:30

Three things I have seen over the last few days that just may make ol' Seamus go to the bottle again:

1. Last OSI clinic is no longer writing medical marijuana prescriptions because there is not enough "proof" it's helping vets

2. The head of the VAC union wanting more hires to drop the case management to 25:1 instead of the now 30:1 but he is making the excuse that it would be hard to "fit the hires in the budget they have to work with"

3. VAC is not allowing Blue Cross to update the prescription drug rebate.  Drugs are going up because of the Carbon Tax or the Cap and Trade.  Eventually drug stores are not going to waive the money owed by the veteran on drug refills.

I can see these 3 issues growing to headache proportion which will temporarily shelve the return of the life long pension.

A classic gov't move to distract the conversation.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 15:08

It is very good that Seamus knows Sean Teen.
But now that it is near the fall, he may very well take the fall for the soon to be introduced
taxed (?) new lifelong pension.

That said, just imagine... if the GoC ever reinstated PA lifelong pensions.
OOPS... I just woke up Smile

Last edited by pinger on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 18:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my language :()
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 08:18

i don't know how much time he should take to hear what vets are saying seeing we only asking for what they promised on their campaign trail now we just trying to hold them to their words we have been saying the same thing for years now lets see how they can spin putting a new guy in and see how long they can say oh he needs to take time to see what can be done just do what you say you were going to do when we the people put you in

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Newfoundland military vet applauds Seamus O'Regan's appointment as veterans affairs minister

Post by Guest on Sun 03 Sep 2017, 08:00

Newfoundland military vet applauds Seamus O'Regan's appointment as veterans affairs minister

Jamie MacWhirter says he was pleased to learn a Newfoundlander would be new head of Veterans Affairs

By Geoff Bartlett, CBC News Aug 30, 2017

Jamie MacWhirter is an Afghanistan war veteran who founded a group called PTSD Buddies to help vets like himself deal with the effects of trauma. He's optimistic about Seamus O'Regan being appointed as new Minister of Veterans Affairs.

An Afghanistan war vet who founded a support group for people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) says he's hopeful that the appointment of Seamus O'Regan as Minister of Veterans Affairs will bode well for veterans in Newfoundland and Labrador.

"In my opinion, I like it. First of all he's a Newfoundlander, so right off the bat you have my vote on that," says Jamie MacWhirter, a military veteran and who founded a support group called PTSD Buddies.

'He's a hardworking man and he's got my support.'
- Jamie MacWhirter

"I for one am behind Seamus. You can't give someone bad credit for a job they haven't even started. I think he can do a good job, he's a hardworking man and he's got my support."

MacWhirter said he's been seeing some negative comments online regarding O'Regan being appointed to cabinet, but he disagrees with arguments that O'Regan's lack of experience and close relationship with Justin Trudeau make him unfit for the job.

Overcoming his own demons

MacWhirter said O'Regan's experience as a television host should really be an asset, as should his friendship with the prime minister.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau congratulates new Veterans Affairs Minister Seamus O'Regan at a swearing-in ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa on Monday, Aug. 28, 2017.

He also says people's concerns about O'Regan being a recovering alcoholic miss the point.

In his view, O'Regan had the courage to face his problem head-on and beat it. MacWhirter said that's a struggle many veterans should be able to relate to.

"I'm sure Seamus is not the only one drinking in the House of Commons. But he is the only one who came forward, admitted he had problem, faced it and overcame it," he said.

"There are veterans who come home and, I hate to say it, but [they] turn to the bottle or drugs or whatever. Maybe he can shine some light and show them some direction on this."

MacWhirter said his advice to the new minister is to take some time and listen to what veterans have to say. He said it's time to give veterans more of what they're asking for, even if it's difficult to deliver.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/veteran-jamie-macwhirter-1.4268031

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:37

I don't think one has to look to far to find the real problem that exist with the Veterans file. Everything is linked to one very important change that has taken place in April of 2006, that's the taken away of the pension act moving forward and replacing it with the New Veterans Charter. This is where the problem lies, this is where the problem will continue to be until this is recognized by someone in authority such as O’Regan to first realize it, and secondly to act on it by taken full control of the Veterans file and not signing off on any legislation brought forward until he is certain it is in the best interest of disabled Veterans. There was only one tax free lifelong pension, and that pension came from the old pension act, therefore it is that pension that should be put back in place period. The new Minister does not need more studies, there should be no delays in getting this pension put back in place, he needs to ORDER the bureaucrats to write the legislation on this as it was written pre 2006. How long is it going to take a Minister of Veterans Affairs to realize that gap fixing will go on forever and chaos within our file will certainly continue, continue forever because the system is now being fully run by the bureaucrats and their interest lies for their own long term security and not the Veterans. We don't need more studies, the new Ministers complex duty is only complex because no Minister stands up to the bureaucrats and no Minister looks beyond colored graphs and numbers, taxed numbers that is, and the majority that ends at age 65. It does not have to be complex, the solution is actually simple, what is complex is getting someone appointed as Minister of Veterans Affairs who actually understands the problem and acts to end the problem.

To be honest and to give my personal opinion I don't see anything big to change with O’Regan, I'm certain they will be some gap fixing and some that appear quite good to some, but this will all fade after a bit simply because of the way the New Veterans Charter is geared. It's a continuous circle the Canadian disabled Veterans have to deal with because no one Minister wants to challenge what is being sent to them by the bureaucrats. Nothing changes and it's the Canadian disabled Veterans who end up suffering for it. Like I said the other day, the best thing for the new Minister to do is to contact someone from outside of his office like Sean Bruyea who could save the new Minister a lot of time by explaining to the Minister what is really going on with our file and what or how it can be fixed, however, this is not going to happen and we all will be back to the same old, same old. The bureaucrats will once again succeed in securing their own interest while the Canadian disabled Veterans lose out.

Back to top Go down

A mandate for the new minister of Veterans Affairs: Editorial

Post by Loader on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 07:39

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau congratulates new Veterans Affairs Minister Seamus O'Regan at a swearing-in ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa on Monday, Aug. 28, 2017.
 (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By Star Editorial Board

Tues., Aug. 29, 2017

There is no commitment in this country like the one made by Canadian soldiers going to war. They accept the very concrete possibility of being killed, maimed, and psychologically damaged in the service of the nation. They don’t choose when and where they’ll fight, but rather do so at the behest of the government and on our behalf.

As Seamus O’Regan takes the helm of Veterans Affairs following Monday’s cabinet shuffle, he inherits the duty of acknowledging and rewarding that commitment. He will have a long task ahead of him: principal among his obligations will be to resolve the ignoble squabble between the federal government of Canada and injured veterans who wish to see the return of lifetime pensions for soldiers wounded while serving Canada.

Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, responding to a 2012 class-action lawsuit from six injured Afghan war veterans, claimed the government has no “sacred obligation” to veterans.

Justin Trudeau, in opposition, did not agree. He stressed, on multiple occasions, that indeed the government did have a sacred obligation, that this was precisely our debt to those enlisted to risk their lives for this country. He called on the Harper government to “end this court battle, and start giving our veterans the help they deserve.” Throughout his campaign, he promised to bring back lifetime pensions for injured soldiers.

Yet once in power, Trudeau’s Liberals have carried on the shameful lawsuit they inherited. Despite their rhetoric, they didn’t put it behind them and set to work restoring lifetime pensions for injured veterans. In their first budget, they elided the issue. In their second, they still provided no money.

Instead, they merely signalled the intention to announce plans by year’s end for a life-long pension option — though many suspect this will simply take the lump-sum payment for which injured vets are presently entitled and spread it out monthly. For those most seriously wounded, the best-case scenario would be a pension of $1,000 per month for 30 years.

This would be an embarrassingly paltry offer. Consider that Members of Parliament who survive a six-year tour of duty in the House of Commons become eligible at age 55 for a bare minimum of some $30,000 in pension, all the way up to potential annual pensions of $165,000 for longtime parliamentarians. Few, if any, will be so injured by their time in Parliament as to be left disabled.

Canada is lucky that its soldiers do not risk their lives, their bodies, and their lifelong mental health primarily for money. If in fact they did, two successive governments would now have driven home the lesson that it simply isn’t worth it. Rather, they are public servants who risk the highest sacrifice for their country.

The new minister inherits a small department with an extremely important mandate: to adequately compensate these public servants for their extraordinary contribution. He has both the opportunity and the obligation to make real all of the high-sounding rhetoric veterans have heard from too many successive governments. If Trudeau truly believes in this country’s sacred duty to veterans, then he must empower his ministers to act in accordance with that obligation.

It now falls to O’Regan to lead Veterans Affairs out of ignominy by retiring the “no sacred duty” legal defence and taking action to restore livable lifetime pensions. If we can profit as a country from putting soldiers in harm’s way, surely we can find the resources to take care of them once they return.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2017/08/29/a-mandate-for-the-new-minister-of-veterans-affairs-editorial.html
Loader
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Thu 31 Aug 2017, 07:04

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?&binId=1.1145507

Our newly minted Minister, is at the third dot on the scroll bar at about the 31 minute mark.
They (the GOC) are still talking about reinstating the (a) Pension?
"Elections and being re-elected is an important life event, if a PM of a country."
We (I) were strung along for almost three years, what's wrong with rolling out the details later?
People are stressed! That's what's wrong!
Get on with the promise we voted for!
Sincerely yours,
a friendly vet.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by bog6 on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 23:04

Well COC has now been completed, lets see if the campaign promises come forth. However , as many have already mentioned -- how will it be laid out???

Pushing a string up a hill

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:16

Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2015-01-29