Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recently diagnosed with delayed ptsd

+6
Yump5555
Lumberjackass
bigrex
Tilap61
johnny211
Newf
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Recently diagnosed with delayed ptsd - Page 2 Empty Re: Recently diagnosed with delayed ptsd

Post by Guest Fri 02 Mar 2018, 18:52

Update...just at 10 weeks and received a call from VAC to notify me that my PTSD claim was complete and I was approved. My initial assessment is 36%. Being referred to a CM for a rehabilitation plan and to OSI to commence therapy. I am now able to start moving forward to improve my mental health status.

Back to top Go down

Recently diagnosed with delayed ptsd - Page 2 Empty Re: Recently diagnosed with delayed ptsd

Post by Guest Tue 27 Feb 2018, 19:10

Thanks for info Lumberjackass. I guess I will hear something by April or May this year if I'm lucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumberjackass Tue 27 Feb 2018, 15:36

Hey Xmedic, just reading through here and thought i would offer some info on my own timelines as a reference point.
-diagnosed with PTSD and major depression (seems to be the catch-all phrase they use for us): November 2015
-stopped working: Jan 2016
-submitted DA claim with VAC: May 2016
-received favourable decision and initial 10%: Dec 2016
-requested reassessment: july 2017
-completed and submitted reassessment: Oct 2017
-went to stage 3 at vac almost immediately : Oct 2017
-......stil waiting.
-submitted DA claim for other physical injuries (muscle/skeletal issues) : july 2017
-other physical injury claims still at a stage 1

PTSD reassessment is at stage 3 for 20 weeks as of tomorrow.

Lumberjackass
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Feb 2018, 19:42

Thanks for the info bigrex. Guess I was being optimistic when I saw that it was at step 3 already. Now the long wait begins! I saw that if approved the usual is 10% as an interim then after treatment they reassess. I really need the treatment. Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sat 10 Feb 2018, 18:13

Stage 3 just means that everything has gone to Charlottetown for adjudication. Now is when the 16 week wait time starts, although it's rarely that short. It's possible to have a decision sooner, but I don't want you to be under the false impression that it's going to be a quick process, and cause yourself undo stress when it isn't. Also, if they do approve it, they will likely issue an initial assessment of 10%, until you undergo any possible treatment. My father got his initial 10% award in like 2013/14, and still hasn't received his final assessment, but his treatment for PTSD, has been delayed due to requiring several surgeries for other urgent medical conditions.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Feb 2018, 16:52

Update...received an email today from VAC letting me know that my ptsd claim is now at step 3. That’s fast considering I submitted my claim and all supporting documentation on Dec. 17, 2017.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Feb 2018, 21:09

I received a message from VAC indicating that I will be contacted shortly for a referral to OSI clinic as well as explained the process that will be followed regarding my PTSD claim.  Can anyone who has experienced this process and referral share their experience and what I can expect.  I have already submitted my supporting documents, evidence of traumatic experiences and a psychiatric report confirming diagnosis.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Jan 2018, 17:59

Update...filed my application with all supporting docs on Dec. 17th and today it appeared on MVA at step two. Also says they are reviewing everything submitted and I should expect a decision within sixteen weeks. Then they go on to say they are behind and it will take longer. VAC advised me that they are currently looking at application filed in Nov. 2016.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sun 05 Nov 2017, 19:34

Hi medic - no I have not done eft, but have done a lot of emdr. I’m thinking they get the same results. Emdr has small buzzers you hold in your hands, as your pscy talks you thru your incident. It will not be easy, and I’m sure you will find it rattles the head for a bit, and you will feel off for a few days after. But stick with it, and things should improve. Johnny Out..VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Nov 2017, 18:54

Thanks Tilap61. I have started the application process and working on the narrative. Do you have any experience with the EFT therapy approach or know anyone who has tried it? Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilap61 Sun 05 Nov 2017, 18:29

Xmedic don’t want to be and ass but requesting your medical record etc will take a while they are backed up , requested my file back in April 2017 and last week requested an update. Answer « your file has just been sent for photocopie ». « Due to back log it could be still a little longuer for you to get your file ». Since VAC are also back log I would sent my claim in anyway VAC will get your files faster then you. Just make sure your narrative to the best of your recollection fit what would be on your file. Still ask for your file so you would have it by the time VAC turns around and do your claim if denied at least you will have supporting Docs to appeal it. I am sure if I am wrong somebody will correct me

Tilap61
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2017-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 Nov 2017, 17:38

Update, the sertraline at 200 mg and prazosin at 7 mg are providing much needed relief from a lot of my symptoms. I have been referred to a psychiatrist by my clinical counsellor and family doctor to continue treatment and to support a claim to VAC. My counsellor recently introduced me to EFT (emotional freedom technique) which uses tapping therapy as a part of treatment. Has anyone any experience with this type of therapy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 19:11

Thanks Johnny211. I appreciate your comments and will look into the group support suggestion.

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Sat 23 Sep 2017, 18:23

Hi xmedic. Johnny here in spudland. I was diagnosed with ptsd about 5 yrs ago, and all the crap that goes with it. If you have a OSSIS gp in your area that might be good for you. I belong to the one here, and find being around others in the same boat helps. I am not sure your feelings on Medical Marijuana. I started the oil about 3 mths ago. 90 percent of my OSSIS gp have gotten off the big pharma stuff with all their side effects. I find the daytime cbd slows the hamster, and helps with anxiety and physical pain. And the thc at night, helps too sleep thru the night. But to each its own. I hope this helps, and never feel alone as there are a lot of us in this boat. VVV...
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Sep 2017, 17:32

Update...my FD and Counsellor have confirmed PTSD and I have started treatment. My doc put me on Sertraline to reduce the PSTD symptoms and Prazosin for the nightmares. To early to tell if they are helping. I have requested my medical records and personnel file from archives. I also reached out to archives in New Brunswick to get copies of articles they may have of the events I experienced in Gagetown. I'm also in the process of getting in touch with other archives libraries in Ontario to see what they may have as well for the incidents experienced there. Gathering the documentation for these events is not easy. My clinical counsellor and FD are attempting to get me referred to the OSI Clinic in Winnipeg. Not sure if this will be successful because I have not yet submitted a disability claim for treatment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next