Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rehab

5 posters

Go down

rehab Empty Re: rehab

Post by AirLog Tue 28 Nov 2017, 21:20

Hi everyone,

I have a general question on Voc/Rehab.  Recent participant on this site and with VAC.  I have private LTD and have been participating in their (Great-West Life) physiotherapy and Voc Rehab (resume writing, job skills, etc).  VAC wants to use these results instead of going through another physiotherapy and Voc Rehab sessions with VAC.  I do receive (T)EEB reduced by the amount received from GWL.  I have no issue with VAC accessing my GWL files to decide any benefits if it speeds up the process.  I don't want to go through physio and voc rehab all over again as assigned by VAC only to come to the same results.  I did caution VAC that GWL physio and Voc Rehab is always slanted in GWL's favour as they are an insurance company wanting you to be off of LTD.  I am still awaiting my CIA results.  It as been 22 weeks.  Accessing the files may be the reason for a late decision on my CIA application.  Your thoughts?

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Thu 16 Nov 2017, 05:27

Sounds like a great program.   Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Newf on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 06:58; edited 1 time in total
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

rehab Empty RE: REHAB

Post by Rubicon Wed 15 Nov 2017, 23:07

Newf, currently the VTN is only working with retired vets, either military or RCMP. There was even an OPP officer on the September course who was in the process of a medical release from the Force. If memory serves me correctly there is an issue with treating a military member who is still in uniform just like VAC cannot treat a Reg Force member until release and I believe it is a CF regulation. If given the opportunity VTN would love to treat active duty but it all comes down to resources as the 10-day program runs $15K per member and they run one course of 6 members in each province per year. Graduates get a numbered coin with the phrase "never alone" in latin on it. Our 6 graduates received coins numbered in the 390's which is testament to the number of members they have had go through the program. There is also a separate women's program as well run by women. Each course has 2 psychologists who run it, 2 former graduates acting as facilitators, plus the 6 participants.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Wed 15 Nov 2017, 18:34

Rubicon,
Just read about the ten day program by VTN. Do currently serving military and RCMP qualify for this program or is it for retired personnel only?
Thanks Newf
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

rehab Empty Re: Rehab

Post by Rubicon Wed 15 Nov 2017, 18:11

Seadog, we had two recent graduates from Homewood on our Veterans Transition Program this past September. Reference your PTSD I would recommend you check out vtncanada.org once you have completed Homewood. There are only 6 candidates per month with the Veterans Transition Network (VTN) who run the program and each position is fully paid for by Corporate Sponsors and/or VAC including your room and board and transportation. The program is only 10 days long and broken down into 4 days, two weeks off, 4 days, one week off, then two final days. The September program was run at a resort south of Perth and worked wonders for me with coping with my newly diagnosed PTSD. Best of luck with Homewood and PM me if you have questions after you've checked out the VTN webpage.

Rubicon
Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 Tue 07 Nov 2017, 09:06

i recommend homewood.
Big ups on the recovery Seadog.
Vet1234
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Tue 07 Nov 2017, 07:00

Seadog44,
I have  a number of friends who went up to Homewood Health Facility in Ontario for treatment of varying conditions (e.g. alcohol, ptsd).  ALL of them had very positive experiences.

From what I was told, each day is very structured with activities and programming based on your needs and to help you make a better life for yourself.  The activities can include pottery, painting, yoga, nature walks, and group sessions with others.   All meals are prepared for you and there is lots of structure to help create a stress free environment where you can focus on your recovery/treatment.    

You are doing the RIGHT thing.   I am sure there are vets on here who have attended a similar facility just be patient in waiting for a reply to your post as some CSAT members dont visit this site every day.

All the best,
Newf

Last edited by Newf on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 09:11; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

rehab Empty rehab

Post by seadog44 Mon 06 Nov 2017, 22:34

i did a search and came up blank...

So i made the decision along with my dr, to take the next step to recovery and go to a facility in ontario. Has anyone here been? what can i expect?
I am heavy on achol and cocain and smokes dealing with severe PTSD and a terrible divorce that led me down a deeper path. im extremely scared makingthis choice to go, but its MUCH better than the terrible choices ive been making so it cant be much worse than the hell i live!
What can i expect? i think i know but would appreciate any previous experiance from others, if you are willing to share.
look forwad to some reply, even if not positive. but i THINK im doing the right thing. reversing fallsbridge seems pretty enviting also....ugh. i just want to live a normal life again.
thanks in advance for any reply.

seadog44
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down