Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

ELB QUESTION - IMPUTED INCOME

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Re: ELB QUESTION - IMPUTED INCOME

Post by AirLog on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 09:00

Thanks Bigrex. That was my thoughts on my particular situation vis a vis VAC and ELB. I have a limited life expectancy, try defining that, so I expect that my LTD and ELB will continue. Especially seeing how I can no longer work at my civilian job. I have been on LTD since July 2016.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 08:56

First of all, I'm sorry for your diagnosis, and I hope you beat it. But it explains a lot about your situation. Not even VAC bureaucrats are going to risk the public and, possiblly, political backlash for cutting the benefits for someone in the midst of a cancer battle.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 07:46

Thanks for all your advice. Not sure what VAC is going to do reference (T)ELB and my CIA application. I can't work due to cancer and I am on (private) LTD. My LTD provider has no intention of stopping my LTD at this time. So I expect my ELB to continue as long as my LTD continues. I can't see this unfolding any other way.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 05:26

Long storey short.
Upon medical release, VAC has absolute control over your finances "if you qualify."
Do as your told, or risk losing your benefits, isn't that something!
Anyway, I've been on temp. ELB for 6 years....if that makes anyone feel better.
So, like VAC has stated, "using the centric approach to guide us to a better civilian life and every single case is different!"
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 05:20

bigrex wrote:Actually yes. If VAC decides that you no longer need the rehab program, or no longer qualify, they can end it with only a few months notice. It has happened to other members on the site. If it does end, you can then qualify for the CFIS (Canadian Forces Income Support) while searching for meaningful employment.

From the Act:

Duration of benefit

(3) Subject to subsection (4) and section 21, the earnings loss benefit is payable to a veteran until the earlier of

(a) the day on which the veteran completes the rehabilitation plan or the vocational assistance plan,

(b) the day on which the rehabilitation plan or the vocational assistance plan is cancelled, and

(c) the day on which the veteran attains the age of 65 years.

Prime example:
Cpl K. (My buddy) pensioned for his knees and hearing.
Finished the two year Vocational aspect of the NVC.
Temporary and I emphasize the word temporary  ELB ended upon returning to work.
I suggested he apply for the CFIS, he was denied.
So, now Cpl K. is out off the rehab program, no ELB and no monthly top up to make up for lost income.
Has he pursued it anymore?
No.  He's discouraged and is hating life.
True storey.

Last edited by Dannypaj on Wed 16 May 2018, 10:58; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 19:07

Actually yes. If VAC decides that you no longer need the rehab program, or no longer qualify, they can end it with only a few months notice. It has happened to other members on the site. If it does end, you can then qualify for the CFIS (Canadian Forces Income Support) while searching for meaningful employment.

From the Act:

Duration of benefit

(3) Subject to subsection (4) and section 21, the earnings loss benefit is payable to a veteran until the earlier of

(a) the day on which the veteran completes the rehabilitation plan or the vocational assistance plan,

(b) the day on which the rehabilitation plan or the vocational assistance plan is cancelled, and

(c) the day on which the veteran attains the age of 65 years.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 16:00

Bigrex,

So even-though my ELB in my VAC account states Temporary Earnings Loss with an end date of 2024 (I will 65 in 2024) it still may end before 2024?

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 15:37

Private (group) insurance with Great West Life from my civilian job. It will be two years September 2019 with my (tax free) monthly employment replacement from Great West Life.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 12:41

AirLog wrote:Thanks Bigrex.  I will let you know the outcome of my CIA application.  I have had extensive physio therapy including OT testing with my private LTD insurance company.  According to them I can't do too much.  I gave VAC access to this as it was in my favour and hopefully it will negate the need for further testing.  This is why I believe that my CIA decision is at the 30 week mark.  I read one post (by the bay) where she waited 30 weeks for a CIA decision and it came with a DEC decision in her favour.  

AirLog.

AirLog:
Veteran affairs or you can request a DEC review. Nevertheless, if you applied for CIA and were approved in two years your situation will be automatically medically reviewed. At that point you may be approved for DEC your case manager will contact you about CIA Supplement .
Lastly all this MAY be accelerated if you have been on LTD with Sisip for over 2 + years.

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 11:36

Thanks Bigrex. I will let you know the outcome of my CIA application. I have had extensive physio therapy including OT testing with my private LTD insurance company. According to them I can't do too much. I gave VAC access to this as it was in my favour and hopefully it will negate the need for further testing. This is why I believe that my CIA decision is at the 30 week mark. I read one post (by the bay) where she waited 30 weeks for a CIA decision and it came with a DEC decision in her favour.

AirLog.

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 11:18

I doubt VAC will deem you DEC on their own. it's possible, but highly unlikely. When I applied for PIA/PIAS, they sent me for a two day testing with an OT, and she determined what types of jobs I could manage, and for how long, ( 2 hrs/week at a stationary job) and VAC deemed this as TPI (Totally and Permanently Impaired), which was changed to DEC, even though the criteria has remained the same. But if you do get the DEC classification, you may have to submit a separate application. Basically a check box at the bottom of the PIA application, that required a separate signature, so I figured that when applying, it couldn't hurt to fill out everything, so the application was at least on file.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 08:09

Thanks for the response Bigrex. I also want to say thanks. Since I became ill, I looked everywhere to educate myself on VAC and benefits. I found this site and have learned that you do provide good advice. I have read every post and whenever you respond I take note. So thanks for the great effort.

My VAC account states that I am Temporary Earnings Loss with a benefit end date of 2024. This sounds good.

I am not DEC and my CIA application hasn't been determined as of yet. It has be in adjudication for 30 weeks now. I am hoping that the delay is because they are looking at DEC for me. I have an illness that has given me a DA of 109% plus numerous consequential claims still outstanding. My life expectancy is limited so perhaps a positive DEC determination is in the near future. If determined DEC will CIA S be automatic or will I have to apply for this also and wait for a determination?

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 20:36

Just one thing AirLog. If you are NOT deemed DEC, your ELB can cease at any time. It isn't guaranteed until 65 for everyone getting it. If you go to the VAC My Account, under current benefits, it will show the end date for your ELB. If it doesn't show the date that you turn 65, it is being paid short term while on the rehab program. that means it could be one year or several, but it will eventually end unless deemed DEC. So I would try to get the DEC determination now, if possible, because only God knows what could happen in the near future with the new programs.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by propat on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 10:18

outstanding buds go get'em.

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Tue 02 Jan 2018, 10:09

Thanks propat. I will let you know VAC's response.

AirLog.

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next