Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Pension for Life reply from VAC

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pension for Life reply from VAC

Post by Steelgunner on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 15:49

Veterans under the NVC are worried about their current benifits, will they increase, will there be a deduction, we just don’t know.  
I got the below e-mail that at least answers one question, we will not lose any current benifits ( I hope this it true.)  So at least that eased my mind in one area.  Can they improve their plan, yes.  Will the PA be brought back?  Doubtful, but continue pressure on GOC/VAC will yield a better deal/benifits for all veterans.   Especially for future veterans, one of the main thing they don’t realize if the constant pressure and anxiety this causes veterans with physical and mental health issues.  We should really sue the GOC in a class action suit causing pain and suffering for the way they handle our file.

“Veterans will receive comparable benefits and amounts that are
no less—before offsets—to those you were eligible to receive
before March 31, 2019.”

That word comparable scares me.  Why do they do this.

Sent: UTC 2018-01-24 20:24

Dear Xxxxxxx (retired) Xxxxxx,

My name is Krista. Thank you for using My VAC Account and our
secure email services. We apologize for the delay in responding
to your message.

I understand that you are concerned abut the new Pension For
Life plan. To create the new Pension for Life benefits, the
current New Veterans Charter Act and Regulations must be amended
and new sections of legislation created. Changes to the Act,
once drafted with the assistance of Department of Justice legislative
drafters are introduced in the House of Commons. It takes time
for a bill to pass through the House of Commons and the Senate.
We will ensure that Veterans are provided with all of the information
you will need in advance of April 1, 2019.

Veterans will receive comparable benefits and amounts that are
no less—before offsets—to those you were eligible to receive
before March 31, 2019. The names of the benefits and the structure
of the payment may look different. Whether or not the benefits
are taxable may also change.

For Veterans who have already received a Disability Award, a
calculation will be done automatically to determine if any additional
money should be paid to you on a monthly basis.
I have also included a link to our website for more information
on The Pension For Life.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/pension-for-life

Please copy and paste this URL into the address field at the
top of your internet browser. Alternately, you may highlight
the URL, then right-click on it and select to go to that page.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number 1-866-522-2122.
Sincerely,
Krista

Last edited by Steelgunner on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 17:21; edited 1 time in total

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2017-10-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pension for Life reply from VAC

Post by Vet1234 on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 16:43

What does "offsets" even mean?
Is that like saying "you wont receive less, except you actually may receive less"
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 17:17

Vet1234 wrote:What does "offsets" even mean?
Is that like saying  "you wont receive less, except you actually may receive less"

Bingo, as I said their wording scares me.   On one side their hand does this and their other hand goes behind their back.  

VAC should read the four pillars of the Canadian Armed Forces.  Then we would not be in this mess period.

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 19:05

Convo texting with friend:

Friend:
Offset means you will receive the same gross amount before taxes, or if anything is taken away as before ie sisip military pension etc etc etc. Dollar for dollar the same except you should go into a lower tax bracket because some is tax free now.

Me:
Comparable

Me:
Still it’s going to take away some cash flow I think by lowering your taxes.  Not 100% sure if it’s a wash out or they are playing a shell game that might rip us off a bit.

Friend:
Just means it will equal out your not gaining a fkn thing same shit different name's. Slight of hand.

Me:
Yup then why do it?  They must really think we r stupid.

Friend
Well not sure if we keep cia & sup if not we lose 200 per month,
But they guarantee no loss !?!

Back to thread:
As you see so many questions and uncertainty.  Get off the bus and wait for an answer from VAC.  More waiting for physically and mentally hurt Veterans as VAC inflicts more pain when they say we will make your transition nice and smooth.   BS

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by skidsteer on Wed 24 Jan 2018, 19:10

And here we go, another year of heightened anxiety for veterans.
skidsteer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:34

No matter what happens you will received 90% of your release income until 65 and 70% there after. It will include yearly cost of living increases. Your medical health will continue to be paid for.
It will never be as good as PA. At least we know these facts. Focus on that and try not to stress out thinking you will fall into poverty. The veterans groups are there too. Support them not just with words but actions. Get out to rallies or at least write the PM often. When all is said and done we will still need to take action. So just say "f22k" to heightened anxiety. We will SURVIVE for another day!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 12:56

Dishsoap wrote:No matter what happens you will received 90% of your release income until 65 and 70% there after. It will include yearly cost of living increases. Your medical health will continue to be paid for.
It will never be as good as PA. At least we know these facts. Focus on that and try not to stress out thinking you will fall into poverty. The veterans groups are there too. Support them not just with words but actions. Get out to rallies or at least write the PM often. When all is said and done we will still  need to take action. So just say "f22k" to heightened anxiety. We will SURVIVE for another day!

Your response sounds more like a GOC response then a injured vet.  But I must remind myself that not everyone here that comes to the site is an injured vet.  You could be just trying to help, but your comment rubbed me the wrong way a bit.  

I am not just talking about what the GOC/VAC do to us by making us wait for changes to the system that you claim is heightened anxiety.  Fuck some days or most days I have a hard time getting out the door and this is because of my diagnosis PTSD, Anxiety, adjustment disorder caused by both training and being over in Afghanistan.  Never thought I would be the one to be inflicted with this kind of injury along with my physical injuries.

Dishsoap you should read this link. It might change your mind on your saying we will survive another day because some don’t.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/3159663/canadian-military-members-suicide-since-2014/amp/

So long story short the GOC/VAC is in fact making soldiers transitions harder.

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 13:29

Your response sounds more like a GOC response than an injured vet

I had the same thought.

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 13:36

Armygunner wrote:Your response sounds more like a GOC response than an injured vet

I had the same thought.

Same here.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 14:14

The whole system is not right. I know many think the old PA veterans are financially better off. But if those under the NVC get 70% of 90% at age 65, then the PA veterans get 70% of 75% at age 65. The whole system should mean that no one under the new or the old should get less than the other. We should all be equal for compensation with NVC or PA.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 15:41

Dishsoap, what will be the requirements for 'proving' to those idiots that one has serious pain and suffering issues. How is the application process going to look like?

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

I AM AN INJURED VETERAN OVER 80% ! NEVER WILL WORK AGAIN!

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 17:35

Ok Boys !  Here is the scoop! You join the CAF you become a soldier. You get injured! You can never work again. The GOC via VAC gives you a total of 90% of what you earned working full time. When you turn 65 you get 70%. In addition you received lets say $40000 to $300000 bucks cash. NEVER forget your getting all medical needs paid for. You have likely 25 to 30 Veterans groups all fighting for you to even get more. You have guy battling Ottawa like Micheal Blais ( have you seen his battle tone lately he is loosing it fighting for you). Additionally, you have a host of other ill veterans demanding change (IE: banished veterans on facebook).
My point until everything is resolved which it will never be IMO, Do Not Stress Out ! WE will Survive WE must Survive!
 In the mean time write your PM on a monthly bases,support a veteran group with not just talk.

With what we have we have enough to keep up the fight and enough not to stress out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelgunner on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 19:08

Here’s the scoop Uncle Walt “N” we don’t get on and off the bus anymore.   We are “Men” that have been disrespected since 2005-6

We don’t take orders or directions anymore.

We are tired off getting the shaft!!!!

Why are you cheer leading a bad deal.

Plain and simple, get me in a room with a 100% PA Vet and we can sit down and compare our bank accounts and see the real difference.  

We all knew what we signed up for but we never signed up for was if by chance you where injured your benifits would be automatically changed for a lesser amount in mid stream with no representation at all.  

Yes I am thankful for what I get.

But please make sense out of the fact that the my buddy that was injured in the same conflict in Afghanistan pre 2005 gets more benefits then a post NVC soldier with the same injury.

I don’t buy or follow you thought.  I am also thinking of future veterans.   GOC was learned at least one thing from the Afghanistan conflict is they can never afford another conflict. The GOC can only afford to pay a terrorist 10 million, what a deal and lump sum. It’s sure a better deal then $360,000 for a soldiers life. Our society and Government is so mixed up! When will a real leader emerge and save Canada.

Steelgunner
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 19:51

I do not disagree with your beef! In face i support it! Just want the men to know we have enough to continue the fight. (90% -70% etc etc) Without getting ANGRY over present matters. Just keep fighting and supporting the cause. The harder we fight the better it will be. We do not have to get stressed out about it.
Even if we never get equality for all veterans a 90% indexed income is pretty nice. Then a 70% indexed pension is awesome. We also got 10s of thousands of bucks DA. The fact we are injured is the price we paid to serve our country. Some of us even ruin a few enemies soldiers lives too. I wonder how good their Veterans are making out in Afghanistan? NOTHING!
I got out with 11 yrs as a Mcpl:
ELB
CIA
CIAs
VIP
DTC
meds
dental
Travel mileage
lawn mowed
snow shovel
CM who helps
I get about 130% of what i made when I worked.
Wheel chair ramp paid for.
I do not sit and worry if another veteran gets more.
I will fight for them by writing supporting letters and attending rally.
I worked for lazy bums in the military that got paid for doing nothing. I never reported my Sgt or my Captain for inequality. Maybe i should have?
If we get the restored PA pension along with the NVC benefits as a Mcpl i will be making more than my RSM does as a 39 year retired CWO.
I can tell you he was really fu3ked up too.Still doesnt know it.

I ramble here. I just want to repeat do not get stressed out we have enough to get by on until things get better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 20:00

I have said to much. Veteran affairs will figure out who I am and cut my benefits. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next