Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS - PENSION FOR LIFE UPDATE

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS - PENSION FOR LIFE UPDATE

Post by Teager on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 14:58

Others on FB have been pointing that out as well. It seems as they release these regulations they are going back on what they have said at Town Halls. At the bottom there's a note that says you can e-mail the with concerns or questions looks like it's time to do that but only have 30 days from date of publication.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS - PENSION FOR LIFE UPDATE

Post by Rubicon on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 18:14

I recently heard that a Pension for Life Calculator will be appearing soon on the VAC webpage providing a "ballpark estimate" for eligible veterans. Has anyone else heard this news?

Rubicon
Rubicon
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by propat on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 20:17

bigrex well the wording isn't exactly clear but I don't read it that way . just the way I read it . your ELB,CIA and CIAS will be protected until they are equal to or less than your IRB calculations .

EG; your benefits today $200.00

IRB calcs ; $100.00

your $200.00 will be protected and indexed until such a time that they are equal to or less than the $100.00 IRB indexed .

or in better terminology your amount will be protected until such a time that current IRB calculations would lead to an equal or increased benefit .

obviously if all stays the same it will likely not happen to most but in this rapidly changing shell game of ABC benefits appearing , disappearing , increasing and decreasing ya never know what tomorrow will bring .

bottom line the way I see it I keep the amount I get today until it is equal to or less than the IRB amount then at that time I will get the IRB amount .

clear as mud???

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 22:05

Personally, I do not see how it could ever be less. If you get EELB, which equals 90% of pre-release pay, (minimum of $3600) and CIAS which is $1120/mo, for a total of $4720, and both are guaranteed until age 65, or life, how could they ever be reduced below the IRB amount, since the IRB and ELB amounts are the same? So until someone at VAC, and not a politician, says that we will be able to collect full CIAS, and full IRB benefit, without them conflicting with each other, I will remain skeptical.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3375
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by propat on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 07:49

ya you are correct about the EELB and CIAS not falling however IRB amounts surly can increase by more than just the indexing as I suspect they will during close election cycles . I do not see any bump ever to the CIAS ELB and CIA amounts ever again outside indexing .

still buds if IRB never increases then you still keep what you have so no biggie .

if it does increase to the point its more than what you are getting well you then get that higher amount again no biggie .

this part looks good ( but keep being sceptical as I will ) RIGHT NOW .

propat

propat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2017-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 19:02

So I had e-mailed my concerns and some of the concerns that were brought forward in this thread to the e-mail address that allowed questions or concerns within 30 days of the PFL policy coming out. I got an auto response saying thanks for the feedback but no questions will be answered however that changed as I got a reply today. Hopefully this helps clear some of the confusion up for some.

Thank you for your review and comments on the proposed regulatory amendments to support the Pension for Life benefit package. I hope the additional information below helps to answer your questions.

No Veterans in receipt of the CIA Supplement will receive less than this amount. the amount(s) of Earnings Loss Benefit, Retirement Income Security Benefit, and Career Impact Allowance Supplement a veteran is eligible for before offsets, prior to the implementation of the Income Replacement Benefit are being protected on the coming into force, and will be annually indexed.

With respect to grade levels, individuals who are in receipt of CIA before April 1, 2019 will automatically transition into APSC at the same grade level they were receiving for CIA. For this group, they will remain at this deemed grade level, even if they should have been reassessed at a lower grade due to earnings capacity impacts no longer being considered under the APSC. In other words, the grade level for this group will be protected for as long as the Veteran continues to receive the benefit. While the concept of "grade level" will not appear in legislation, this protection is nonetheless set out in the transitional provisions relating to the APSC in Bill C-74 as subsection 133(4). Note that while the grade level for these Veterans will never be decreased, they will still have the right to a higher grade level if their condition worsens.

I hope this information helps to clarify some of your concerns.

Respectfully,
Director, Cabinet Business Unit
Veterans Affairs Canada

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down