Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like? Empty Re: Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like?

Post by Newfie Wed 28 Feb 2018, 13:35

Like Johnny, I to went back to college and obtained a 2 year diploma. But after working for 4 years it drained me mentally. I was not forced into rehab but I wanted to work and was retrained at 50 years old
Artie my advice is to get your psychologist or doctor to deem you unable to work and get approved for psych social and apply for Ltd. if you need any help or advice you can PM me.

Newfie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-01-02

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like? Empty Re: Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like?

Post by Guest Wed 28 Feb 2018, 13:09

Like you I have PTSD, I also have an injured arm so heavy lifting is out, at 55 I don`t see what job I`m supposed to learn to do at this point, I was infantry all my life with no real skills but I cant keep doing these night watchman jobs they are fucking up my quality of life. How easy/hard for is it to convince VAC that you`re not fit for anything work related at this point of your life, I heard REhab is 2 years then they kick you off, I can`t make it to 65 than way

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 Wed 28 Feb 2018, 12:25

Hi Artie - 3 yrs ago, when I was 53, I went back to trade college. If I remember right my case mgr, sat down with me at my home and chatted, on what I was interested in, and what I could physically and mentally work at. I was also sent for an assessment with a OT. There we did strength testing. I always liked working with my hands. I was interested in doing machinist work. So my CM, ask me to ask a couple of employers to do a day job shadow. I did that, and ended up doing a yr long crse. School was hard with ptsd, and crap memory and concentration. But after a couple of hard mths, it leveled off. I did Ojt with a company, then got a great job.
But after 5 mths, I realized the pressure of the job world, and my big prob of short memory and concentration, caused the monsters to return big time. I had to leave the job. That was very hard.
So I just want to tell you, don’t do retraining on something over your head. And what I actually should have done was tell my cm, I could not work, and stay on the pscy help side.
Not sure if any of this helps, but if you don’t feel you can retrain, get letters , and give those to your CM,and get deemed DEC..VVV
johnny211
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like? Empty Anyone ever had an Initial Vocational Assessment, what did that look like?

Post by Guest Wed 28 Feb 2018, 11:18

At Mid 50 I may need VAC to help me find new work, what`s the process, I`m a little old to go back to school and my injuries prohibit most trades. Anyone been assessed, what`s that all about?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down