Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this?

2 posters

Go down

LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this? Empty Re: LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this?

Post by bigrex Mon 21 May 2018, 15:21

That date means that there would be no retroactive payments for PA pensions that had been deducted since 2006. So even if you had been getting a Disability pension 40 years, it would not be deducted if you went on ELB today.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this? Empty Re: LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this?

Post by Guest Mon 21 May 2018, 14:07

Thx. but I read on line that VAC quit deducting, disability payments from ELB only to vets who were injured in 2012 and after.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sun 27 May 2018, 11:05; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 21 May 2018, 10:12

I can see your frustrations. If you do end up doing something new don't view yourself as a mental patient because your not and your not now. Unless you do a job that requires a medical your employer won't know your medical history. Let VAC give you the calculations for ELB. You should also be aware that ELB only deducts for federal and provincial taxes nothing else comes off unlike when your working and have pension payment or union dues and any other deductions that are out there. I believe the minimum ELB in 2019 will be just over $48k so if you make $50k that's pretty close and if you do qualify for CIA or any other benefit you will be making more.

Teager
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2016-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2018, 23:17

Teager wrote:Well I suggest you call VAC tell them what's happening and if they can work with you. If they give you to much Hassel please contact Spartan Wellness. It's run by veterans for veterans. They deal with it all and have the resources and people to help you out. http://spartanwellness.ca
VAC isn`t really "hasseling" me, it`s just that I fall into a category that slips through the cracks in terms of their help. After I left the military I was unemployed for 2 years but eventually sorted myself out and landed a decent paying job for the last decade, but now that I need medical help, VAC cannot aid me even through ELB because the job I held earns more than my pre -release salary so my new take home pay will be 0. Unless I 100% quit my job, get healthy and try something new, if I do that no one is going to hire an over 50 mental patient, at least not in the type of job I had before going off sick. I feel like I`m on a merry go round

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 May 2018, 23:12

I don`t have the exact numbers yet, but I think my current job pays more than my pre-release salary so I guess I`m screwed.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:28; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Tue 24 Apr 2018, 14:26

Well I suggest you call VAC tell them what's happening and if they can work with you. If they give you to much Hassel please contact Spartan Wellness. It's run by veterans for veterans. They deal with it all and have the resources and people to help you out. http://spartanwellness.ca

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:12

If you need to, and can, take a leave of absence from your job, to seek intensive treatment, the only deduction from the ELB, will be a CF pension, if you are getting one. After all, if you are working, that means that you are not getting CPP(D) or extended SISIP, so the only other ELB deductions are CF pension and employment earnings. So the worst case scenario, is that ELB only partially covers the loss of employment income, while in treatment, but only if your current income is substantially higher than your deemed military pay.

But like Teager said, you do not have to be unemployed to access the rehab program. You could still work full time, attending treatment on weekends and evenings, or only taking minimal days off for appointments (depending on the actual treatment). After all, one of the purposes of the rehab program is to assist veterans in returning to work, so they are not going to force Veterans to lose employment to seek treatment.

From the NVC regulations

22 The following sources are prescribed for the purpose of the amount of variable B in subsection 19(1) of the Act:

(a) [Repealed, SOR/2012-195, s. 1]

(b) benefits payable under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act, the Public Service Superannuation Act or the Employment Insurance Act;

(c) benefits payable under the Canada Pension Plan or the Act Respecting the Québec Pension Plan other than amounts payable for a dependent child;

(d) benefits payable under any employer-sponsored long-term disability insurance plan;

(e) benefits payable in respect of economic loss under the Government Employees Compensation Act or any provincial workers’ compensation legislation;

(f) amounts payable in respect of economic loss arising from legal liability to pay damages;

(g) amounts payable under an employer pension plan;

(h) employment earnings payable while the veteran is not participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister or where the veteran is participating in such a plan and the sum of the earnings loss payable for a month plus the employment earnings for the month exceeds the veteran’s imputed income; and

(i) 50% of employment earnings payable while the veteran is participating in a rehabilitation plan or vocational assistance plan developed by the Minister so long as the sum of the earnings loss payable for a month plus the employment earnings for the month does not exceed the veteran’s imputed income.

bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Apr 2018, 23:59

...But if I take an absence from work in an effort to get better, I will no longer be bringing in enough money to support my family. Even if granted ELB there is a page that lists deductions that chips away at the 90% of pre-release salary until eventually I`m left with 0.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Mon 23 Apr 2018, 18:57

There is nothing that says you have to quit your job to receive rehab services. If keeping your job and continueing to work is your goal then that's what they will work with. No where do you need to do everything re-hab offers. It's tailored to you and your goals.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Apr 2018, 13:32

Thanks for the reply. But from my understanding VAC REHAB will only be granted to me if I lose/quit my current job. I don't want to 100% leave the work place, go to VAC for REHAB and be given 2 years to find new work. If I leave my present job, I`ll never get it back and VAC will only end up trying to train me into some less rewarding job at half the pay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teager Sat 21 Apr 2018, 07:45

If you go to VAC it's not a hand out. The re-hab is there to get you back on your feet and back to your job if that's your goal. Taking that first step can be tough but I highly suggest contacting VAC and getting on re-hab and ELB. From there the supports you need can be arranged to help you. The sooner the better.

Teager
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this? Empty LTD and pre-existing injuries, anyone have any expertise in this?

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2018, 13:31

My situation in a nut shell.
I have PTSD.
I currently have a job.
I can no longer work with in my job due to my PTSD symptoms being too explosive.
I want to leave work and apply for Long Term Disability until I can get my PTSD symptoms under control.
I am afraid that my work place insurance company will not cover my rehab because the nature of why I have to leave my work place is not currently job related and they will call it a "pre-existing injury" as it developed during my military career not my current, civi job.
Has anyone gone through this?
I don't want to quit my job and turn to VAC for re-hab  hand outs, I just want to sort myself out and then return to my current job even if it takes 2 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down