Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home?

2 posters

Go down

Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home? Empty Re: Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home?

Post by czerv Sat 12 May 2018, 12:28

"Virtual offices' - love that. I hate also people snooping around my house and interrogating my family.
I would not take any pain meds that day nor would make myself 'presentable' (would not shave, stay in my pajamas). 'They' become experts in psychology during those assessments!
Some really good advise here from veterans. I wish I knew all that before they did my 'assessments'.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home? Empty Re: Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home?

Post by Guest Sat 12 May 2018, 11:24

those new offices the Liberals are talking about opening- they are only "virtual".

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:31; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv Sat 12 May 2018, 10:41

VAC is very nosy. I had both nursing ass and VAC/MC ass visit. As mentioned before: some info will be incorrect in their assessment. Request copies when it is finished. I made sure that my family was not present (they would like to 'talk' to them! ) I consider that psychological abuse on the part of VAC hacs.
Have everything ready: your meds on the the table (in the plastic/daily distrib packs), tell them to speed it up (the interview) some of the like to chat and not to do much and then write bs in their reports. Be courteous but no time for jokes and pleasantries.
Why they build/open those 'veterans offices' if one cannot have that interview in their place?
Because they get good millage, food allowance, etc., etc. Good $$ grab for them. My two cents.
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Sat 12 May 2018, 07:34

Before you meet with the Nurse, I suggest sitting down and reviewing the activities of daily living as it relates to your condition.  I suggest to write down some examples on how your life is affected by your condition(s).  For me, I find it very difficult to recall examples when asked right in the moment so having this information written down on paper as mental cues is very helpful.

For example (John Doe with PTSD)
-John cannot prepare bloody meats, raw turkey, raw chicken or raw seafood nor can they cook these foods because of PTSD triggers.
-John cannot use the food processor, blender, vacuum or other loud household applicances because the noises cause PTSD symptoms. He has to leave the family home.
-John is unable to shop for raw meats, chickens, etc at the grocery store.  
-John is unable to go into the grocery store, post office, bank, shopping mall because he finds the crowds cause a panic attack.
-When John experiences a PTSD trigger, he will experience anxiety that causes gas in his stomach.  When he passes gas then he will sometimes have a discharge of fluid.  This is called fecal incontinence which is recognzied by VAC.
-John wears the same clothes for several days which start to get pretty raunchy.  His wife has to remind him to change his clothes.  Or forgets about personal hygene.
-John does not take his children to birthday parties because of the loud noises and fear of children becoming injured cause anxiety.
-John does not use public transportation because a crowded bus is a trigger for him.  Or perhaps there are people on the bus who are speaking a foreign language that again is a trigger for him. Or there are criminal/skeet looking people who are also triggers.

There are many examples.  I just think its important to sit down and think about how situations you experience  by way of sights, sounds, smells or touch affect your medical condition.

Good luck
Newf
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2018, 23:32

from what I`ve read on line, you have to practically be an invalid who cant dress, feed or wipe his own @ss to be considered for anything

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:31; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Fri 11 May 2018, 20:30

I arranged for nurse to come during a school day as my kids are gone to school. Like yourself I do not want my kids to know anything is wrong with me as well. The meeting was an hour max. Perhaps, You could meet the nurse in her vehicle or in the garage to do assessment. I would tell the nurse your concerns with your family being present. The nurse may have a suggestion for an alternate meeting place.

I would say the nurse wants to see you and get an idea of your needs, level of pain, facial expressions, body language, etc. For example: I have an old sports injury from my time as as Sapper in my ankle which was sore during the visit. She asked to see my injury and I showed it to her then she made some notes. All of the notes she makes is based on what you tell her.

After our session, the nurse informed me she will be recommending the VIP allowance and a month or so later I was approved. It was a positive outcome for me and my situation.
Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2018, 19:42

I don't understand why I couldn't talk about my injuries and there level of pain over the phone.

Last edited by Artie Simm on Tue 22 May 2018, 10:35; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Fri 11 May 2018, 14:15

Artie Simm,
I had a Nurse come into my home about two years ago to do a Nursing assessment for VIP which may be similar to your situation. I made sure the kids and wife were not at home so there were no distractions. The Nurse and I sat in the kitchen. She went through the form. I began describing my injuries starting with my head down to my feet. For every injury or pain, I was asked to rate it from 0-10 on the pain scale and provide a description. I was also asked about activities of daily living regarding things I can and cannot do around our home.

The Nurse also want to see all my medications so I fetched this from my bathroom and brought it to her. The whole process took about an hour.

About a year later, I requested a copy of the Nursing Assessment to determine what information was obtained and to have a copy for my own records. The assessment was a pretty detailed summary of her visit. I did not see any information about her observations of my grooming, cleaniness of our home, etc. Although, I did notice that some information on this form was incorrect.

Personally, I believe VAC is always evaluating and observing clients when they meet you. Taking notes on your grooming, how you walk, how you talk and how you carry yourself. Anyhow, the nurse was very polite and friendly. I was made to feel comfortable.

Newf

Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home? Empty Anyone ever have a VAC nurse come visit their home?

Post by Guest Fri 11 May 2018, 12:58

VAC has suggested that I need a nurse to attend my home for a decision on whether or not I should be entitled to an upgrade in disability payment. Anyone ever had one of those, what is the purpose of the visit, do the walk around your house assess it for cleanliness, open your fridge, what? If it`s just sit down and answer a bunch of questions about QOL couldn`t I do that over a phone?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum