Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

So what exactly is the proceedure when filing a VAC claim through Dr.

Go down

Re: So what exactly is the proceedure when filing a VAC claim through Dr.

Post by Newf on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 20:05

My suggestion is to not walk into the office on your first visit with a stack of papers. Maybe have a number of visits/appointments over a six week period (maybe a shorter or longer time frame that suits you) for prescriptions, health care, or medical issues first so you can get to know each other.

On your six week then ask him if he can complete a medical questionaire on your next appointment for Veteran Affairs. Make sure you book an extra long appointment (30 mins) with his secretary to go over the paperwork with him.

Newf
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:56

Newf wrote:I was just doing some research on this issue.  Here is some information that I hope can help you.

Thanks. there is a local 1-800 # I can call, but even if it selects a new family Dr. for me, what is the likelihood the physician will want to take me on ( their descretion) when I walk into the office with a stack ( and I do mean a stack) of VAC forms. They will say " I dont even know you I cant fill out all these medical forms on you"
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 18:28

Artie simm,
There are a number of telehealth services popping up all over Canada.  I am not sure if they can help but it may be worth a try.  You can google the following “telehealth canada” for a service provider near you.   Here is an example;  https://www.getmaple.ca

Maybe if you contact your local member of parliament or provincial member of government for assistance, there staff may help you find a doctor.

Newf

Last edited by Newf on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 18:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 22:58

wow, because I`m getting nothing but grief talking to VAC on line, everything is "no, no no".
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 09:21

There is no real rhyme or reason behind what evidence VAC accepts, and what it ignores. I had VAC and VRAB say that they didn't feel like I was even suffering from a lower back disability, even though they accepted the fact that I had been hit by a steel door on ship, and had complained of back pain several times throughout my career since, because Xrays didn't show any major degenerative changes. But only a few years later, once I had a CT scan showing soft tissue damage that would not be seen in just an xray, and emergency surgery to reduce nerve root impairment, I was assessed as having a 43% lumbar disability.

For my case, they went all the way back 25 years, to my entrance medical, where I said that I would have an occasional stiff back, after travelling for several hours, but would resolve within minutes, in order to reduce that one claim to 2/5.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3377
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 06:52

And how far back into your military docs can you go to file a claim? I read somewhere you only have or can only go back 2 years? i.e. if my back is bothering me, and in my medical file it shows that I was in an ML roll over in 1995 and my back was never the same again, is that claimable, or does VAC simply tell you "too much time has passed since that injury, you probably hurt it on civi street"
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by totransit on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 21:27

Don't worry about the leg length measurement. Just focus on your range of motions on your claim. Google each range of motion on your form, it will give you an understanding of what is required.

totransit
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2018-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 19:25

totransit wrote:It depends on your injury that you are making a claim.  If it is your back, hip, knee they usually want these measurement.
it`s my cervical spine
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by totransit on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 15:46

It depends on your injury that you are making a claim. If it is your back, hip, knee they usually want these measurement.

totransit
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 15:27

totransit wrote:Artie,

What I do is make a photocopy of the claim and fill it out to the best of my ability and bring it with you to your doctor.   Medical history ?  confirmed yes.  Pain level?  If it is intermittent make sure they state daily on frequency line.  Describe the pain in your own words?  What you do for treatment?  Range of Motion is important, make sure they don't put down normal if it isn't. Talk to your physiotherapist and ask them to do the ranges for you, also ask if the can do a leg length measurement for you, take the results to your doctor.  If you have any other medical documents pertaining to your injury that you doctors doesn't have,  photocopy them and bring them with you to your doctor!   know your medications?   Surgeries?  treatments?   If your gait is not normal make sure they state that!  Research your injury and  bring all the facts with you to your doctor.   When your doctor has completed the claim forms go over them with the doctor and voice your concerns and correct them with their initials before you summit them to VAC.

Hope some of this helps!!
thx, but what does leg length have to do with anything?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 15:26

Bruce72 wrote:
Artie Simm wrote:  I barely see my family Dr. it is mostly over minor issues, however I do feel I have some ailments that are a direct result of my military service. I have down loaded the required forms. I can set up an appointment with my Dr. but what if he has never dealt with VAC before, what do I tell him to do with forms once complete. Where do you fax them, mail them etc.?

Once the forms are completed, you can mail them to VAC yourself. The address where the need to go should be marked on the forms themselves.
Really, ? I`ve been told by others that the Dr.s always keep them?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by totransit on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 12:24

Artie,

What I do is make a photocopy of the claim and fill it out to the best of my ability and bring it with you to your doctor. Medical history ? confirmed yes. Pain level? If it is intermittent make sure they state daily on frequency line. Describe the pain in your own words? What you do for treatment? Range of Motion is important, make sure they don't put down normal if it isn't. Talk to your physiotherapist and ask them to do the ranges for you, also ask if the can do a leg length measurement for you, take the results to your doctor. If you have any other medical documents pertaining to your injury that you doctors doesn't have, photocopy them and bring them with you to your doctor! know your medications? Surgeries? treatments? If your gait is not normal make sure they state that! Research your injury and bring all the facts with you to your doctor. When your doctor has completed the claim forms go over them with the doctor and voice your concerns and correct them with their initials before you summit them to VAC.

Hope some of this helps!!

totransit
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 11:13

Artie Simm wrote:  I barely see my family Dr. it is mostly over minor issues, however I do feel I have some ailments that are a direct result of my military service. I have down loaded the required forms. I can set up an appointment with my Dr. but what if he has never dealt with VAC before, what do I tell him to do with forms once complete. Where do you fax them, mail them etc.?

Once the forms are completed, you can mail them to VAC yourself. The address where the need to go should be marked on the forms themselves.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

So what exactly is the proceedure when filing a VAC claim through Dr.

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 10:24

I barely see my family Dr. it is mostly over minor issues, however I do feel I have some ailments that are a direct result of my military service. I have down loaded the required forms. I can set up an appointment with my Dr. but what if he has never dealt with VAC before, what do I tell him to do with forms once complete. Where do you fax them, mail them etc.?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down