Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.?

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.? - Page 2 Empty Re: VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.?

Post by bigrex Mon 25 Jun 2018, 15:59

As long as those injuries, are recorded, it shouldn't be an issue. I had a neck injury in 92, but didn't get approved for a DA until 2008, after my release. They may use your age, to reduce the award, but like I said before hopefully they will only be able to reduce it to a minimum entitlement will be 4/5.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4060
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.? - Page 2 Empty Re: VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.?

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2018, 23:13

bigrex wrote:See, the only reason you would need a doctors' medical opinion, would be for arguing how much the medical condition is actually linked to your service.  But VAC will often completely dismiss medical opinions, regardless of how well the Doctor may know you or your file, if there is no supporting evidence in your file, or commonly recognized links to service, like hearing loss. I've had VAC ignore the medical opinion of my family doctor, even though she has known me for 26 years, since I was 20, and also dismiss the expert opinion of an orthopedic surgeon, that VAC had sent me to, saying that his medical opinion was merely speculation. But hopefully soon, there will be a change to entitlements, so even a partial entitlement will net you a minimum of 4/5ths of any award.

As far as the actual medical questionnaire, most of the ones I have seen, could be filled out by any medical student, nurse, or physical therapist, capable of conducting a physical examination, but they still require it to be a Dr, for accountability.
well my release file documented the injuries over the years l serves but l never put in any claims when l got out just accepted the fact that the army bangs up a guy's body. Now decades later l find those same bones aching every day with loss of mobility but even if l submit what is the likelyhood that vac will simply say my problems are because I'm old nothing else

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 24 Jun 2018, 22:11

See, the only reason you would need a doctors' medical opinion, would be for arguing how much the medical condition is actually linked to your service. But VAC will often completely dismiss medical opinions, regardless of how well the Doctor may know you or your file, if there is no supporting evidence in your file, or commonly recognized links to service, like hearing loss. I've had VAC ignore the medical opinion of my family doctor, even though she has known me for 26 years, since I was 20, and also dismiss the expert opinion of an orthopedic surgeon, that VAC had sent me to, saying that his medical opinion was merely speculation. But hopefully soon, there will be a change to entitlements, so even a partial entitlement will net you a minimum of 4/5ths of any award.

As far as the actual medical questionnaire, most of the ones I have seen, could be filled out by any medical student, nurse, or physical therapist, capable of conducting a physical examination, but they still require it to be a Dr, for accountability.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jun 2018, 19:29

bigrex wrote:I know it's a pain in the ass, but as long as you're not asking for a medical opinion, going to an walk-in clinic should be fine. After all, they often fill out WCB forms, so filling out a medical questionnaire is not that different. They don't need to know your full medical history, to be able to test reflexes, RoM, ask about pain levels etc, that normally make up the questions on a questionnaire for a physical disability. But you may want to call ahead, and ask, because they may require you to make an appointment. and possibly pay for the forms to be filled out, up front, because VAC is notorious for taking a long time to pay doctors.
well that would kind of be the point, I would be asking for a medical opinion, though the forms all have to do with pain levels and ranges of motion for spine,shoulder,ankle etc. they came with a letter saying VAC would pay a DR. to complete them

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex Sun 24 Jun 2018, 09:07

I know it's a pain in the ass, but as long as you're not asking for a medical opinion, going to an walk-in clinic should be fine. After all, they often fill out WCB forms, so filling out a medical questionnaire is not that different. They don't need to know your full medical history, to be able to test reflexes, RoM, ask about pain levels etc, that normally make up the questions on a questionnaire for a physical disability. But you may want to call ahead, and ask, because they may require you to make an appointment. and possibly pay for the forms to be filled out, up front, because VAC is notorious for taking a long time to pay doctors.
bigrex
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.? - Page 2 Empty VAC disability claims when you don`t have a family Dr.?

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2018, 18:40

How do you get Claim forms filled if you don`t have a family Dr.?
I know the Legion is supposed to help out with some paperwork and the OSI clinic has psychologists/psychiatrists
but what if a Veteran has no regular Dr. does VAC appoint one?, I can`t see me walking into an out patient clinic with a stack of forms as a stranger to an mD who has no history with me or my physical injuries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2