Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

DEC CONSIDERATION

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: DEC CONSIDERATION

Post by peep on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 22:05

Well you may have a point about CM. Just got a call from review board and they are going to start a review on 2 of my conditions. They commented my case manager talked to them today. The paperwork will be mailed out tomorrow. Finally!
peep
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2012-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 18:23

45jim wrote:Based on the responses I have received, this is a question my CM is reluctant to answer. If you are at 100% or greater disability (all due to physical injuries) are you already declared "DEC" (or can you be) without further testing? Certainly language in the DEC Policy allow for such a determination:

"Specialized assessments, such as employability and functional capacity assessments, may not be required in all cases. For example, the medical report that accompanies the application may provide sufficient evidence to make a DEC decision for a Veteran with a clear and significant loss of functional capacity and employability."

The real question is, what is a "clear and significant loss of functional capacity and employability"?

From history, I would think that a DEC determination based totally on physical injuries would be an easier determination for VAC than dealing with a blend of physical and PTSD or similar issues. Not to say one is worse or better than the other, just thinking that they have plenty of examples over many decades on what the long term effects are on veterans who are deemed to be 100% disabled or greater due to physical injuries. For many years PTSD and similar conditions were not adequately identified or properly recognized and the data pool may be incomplete. A complete definition must exist, certainly VAC is using some sort of internal process to approve or deny applicants beyond what is in the policy documents.

With the general erosion of Veteran benefits under the NVC and PFL and the push to restrict access to significant benefits to those with disabilities greater than 80%, DEC determination is becoming the hurdle that keeps many from the benefits they have earned and deserved.  Understanding the process and the decision methodology at VAC is of prime importance to us all.

well that is my boat, l am over 100% but 3/4 of that disability is mental. I have not applied for DEC status, but l could probably do the lifting exercises
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 17:39

I agree that having multiple physical and psychological conditions can create an overall level of disability, that is harder to determine, even if assessed at over 100%. But I think the "special " circumstance they are talking about would almost have to involve things like being quadriplegic, or multiple limb amputations.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3428
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

DEC Consideration

Post by 45jim on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 16:02

Based on the responses I have received, this is a question my CM is reluctant to answer. If you are at 100% or greater disability (all due to physical injuries) are you already declared "DEC" (or can you be) without further testing? Certainly language in the DEC Policy allow for such a determination:

"Specialized assessments, such as employability and functional capacity assessments, may not be required in all cases. For example, the medical report that accompanies the application may provide sufficient evidence to make a DEC decision for a Veteran with a clear and significant loss of functional capacity and employability."

The real question is, what is a "clear and significant loss of functional capacity and employability"?

From history, I would think that a DEC determination based totally on physical injuries would be an easier determination for VAC than dealing with a blend of physical and PTSD or similar issues. Not to say one is worse or better than the other, just thinking that they have plenty of examples over many decades on what the long term effects are on veterans who are deemed to be 100% disabled or greater due to physical injuries. For many years PTSD and similar conditions were not adequately identified or properly recognized and the data pool may be incomplete. A complete definition must exist, certainly VAC is using some sort of internal process to approve or deny applicants beyond what is in the policy documents.

With the general erosion of Veteran benefits under the NVC and PFL and the push to restrict access to significant benefits to those with disabilities greater than 80%, DEC determination is becoming the hurdle that keeps many from the benefits they have earned and deserved. Understanding the process and the decision methodology at VAC is of prime importance to us all.

45jim
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:15

SIGS PIGS wrote:well Artie,

I am no expert on any of these Topics,

I am 109% Disabled with 10 different conditions but unless you are on the Voc Rehab program you will not be considered
for DEC.  i mentioned to my Case Manager that I am Hurting everyday about 6 months ago and she just suggested that I go for
all this testing. ( i am assuming its another check in the box ) what happens next your guess is as good as mine.

sorry buddy that's all I know,

SIGS
no it's all good, I was just wondering about injuries that are not necessarily physical yet put a vet at over 100%
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

DEC CONSIDERATION

Post by SIGS PIGS on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 06:14

well Artie,

I am no expert on any of these Topics,

I am 109% Disabled with 10 different conditions but unless you are on the Voc Rehab program you will not be considered
for DEC. i mentioned to my Case Manager that I am Hurting everyday about 6 months ago and she just suggested that I go for
all this testing. ( i am assuming its another check in the box ) what happens next your guess is as good as mine.

sorry buddy that's all I know,

SIGS

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 23:49

SIGS PIGS wrote:Good Morning Everyone,

INFO ONLY

well I just finished the 2 days of testing for DEC Qualification, what if someone was 80% ptsd and 25% erectile dysfunction, that's a 100% disability, but they could probably do all the physical exercises, does that mean they can never be declared DEC, if someone's ptsd were that high,they probably couldn't function in a job despite not having any physical pain

They certainly require a lot of information and they do a lot of testing. 3 hrs the first day and 1.5 hours the second day, by the time I was done I had plenty of pain. so they said the report would be back to my CM
in approx. 10 business days. So now its hurry up and wait for a decision,

Hope everyone is having a great day,

cheers,

SIGS
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 21:42

SIGS PIGS wrote:Well lets see,

once I arrived she explained what were going to do,

each of my pensioned conditions she wanted to know what year it happened and how it happened,
once that was done she gave me 2 pictures of the human body where I had to mark on them where the pain was,
after that she asked me on a scale of 1-10 how bad the pain was on each condition
next she took my blood pressure,
then we proceded with the physical testing,

1. I had to lift a 10 lb weight from the ground to my waist 3 reps of six if I could do them
2. I had to walk 30 feet carrying the weight back and forth 6 times and 3 reps
3. take pegs from one side of the board and put them in the other side of the board 3x left hand and 3x right hand and 3x both hands at the same time
4. I had to lift a 20 lb weight form the ground to my waist 3 reps of six which I could not complete
5. Because of my shoulder injuries I had to do several stretches with my arms, straight out straight up in the air etc
6 I had to do more pegs in a board testing dexterity
7. I had to walk up and down stairs
8. push a contraption that would let them know how much weight I can push
9. I had to pull on another contraption to see what I could pull
SECOND DAY
she recorded my pain level before we started and took my bold pressure
and then we continued to do the physical testing again,

by the time that was over I have had enough,

I hope this give you an idea,

cheers

SIGS
if you dont mind me asking,what led you to dec,they are many disabilities some worse than others,but I also read that if you add up your disabilities and the % is over a 100,you are considered DEC. For arguements sake, what if a vet had 11 separate claims each valued at 10%, they would total 110% disability, but each is so minor they might be able to do all the tests with ease, are they not then DEC .if a person had 10 pains all over their body that registered a 1 out of 10 each, they are still experiencing 10 out of 10 pain during every waking hour
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

DEC TESTING

Post by SIGS PIGS on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 15:19

Well lets see,

once I arrived she explained what were going to do,

each of my pensioned conditions she wanted to know what year it happened and how it happened,
once that was done she gave me 2 pictures of the human body where I had to mark on them where the pain was,
after that she asked me on a scale of 1-10 how bad the pain was on each condition
next she took my blood pressure,
then we proceded with the physical testing,

1. I had to lift a 10 lb weight from the ground to my waist 3 reps of six if I could do them
2. I had to walk 30 feet carrying the weight back and forth 6 times and 3 reps
3. take pegs from one side of the board and put them in the other side of the board 3x left hand and 3x right hand and 3x both hands at the same time
4. I had to lift a 20 lb weight form the ground to my waist 3 reps of six which I could not complete
5. Because of my shoulder injuries I had to do several stretches with my arms, straight out straight up in the air etc
6 I had to do more pegs in a board testing dexterity
7. I had to walk up and down stairs
8. push a contraption that would let them know how much weight I can push
9. I had to pull on another contraption to see what I could pull
SECOND DAY
she recorded my pain level before we started and took my bold pressure
and then we continued to do the physical testing again,

by the time that was over I have had enough,

I hope this give you an idea,

cheers

SIGS

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

DEC testing

Post by 45jim on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 15:00

Could you give us a rundown of the DEC testing protocol?

It would be nice to know how it went after you arrived, what tasks they had you do with what weight. What you found difficult or easy. Is there a battery of questions as well as physical testing?

45jim
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-02-03

Back to top Go down

DEC TESTING

Post by SIGS PIGS on Mon 20 Aug 2018, 09:41

Good Morning Everyone,

INFO ONLY

well I just finished the 2 days of testing for DEC Qualification,

They certainly require a lot of information and they do a lot of testing. 3 hrs the first day and 1.5 hours the second day, by the time I was done I had plenty of pain. so they said the report would be back to my CM
in approx. 10 business days. So now its hurry up and wait for a decision,

Hope everyone is having a great day,

cheers,

SIGS

SIGS PIGS
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 17:17

Artie Simm wrote:
bigrex wrote:For one thing, that $20000 will be employment income, so it will not count towards CPP or CF pension. Secondly, that exclusion will only be applicable on income earned after ELB is changed into the new IRB, in April 2018 IIRC, so any money earned before then, will have to be claimed.
what about VIP yard maintenance allowance  ,also deducted from ELB ?

No VIP is not deducted from ELB or any other benefit. VIP is a grant.

I get VIP for yard and snow and it's not deducted from my ELB.
Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 16:15

bigrex wrote:For one thing, that $20000 will be employment income, so it will not count towards CPP or CF pension. Secondly, that exclusion will only be applicable on income earned after ELB is changed into the new IRB, in April 2018 IIRC, so any money earned before then, will have to be claimed.
what about VIP yard maintenance allowance ,also deducted from ELB ?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 21:31

For one thing, that $20000 will be employment income, so it will not count towards CPP or CF pension. Secondly, that exclusion will only be applicable on income earned after ELB is changed into the new IRB, in April 2018 IIRC, so any money earned before then, will have to be claimed.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3428
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 19:38

XMedic wrote:I hope the $ 20,000 allowable earnings before offset of IRB will take into consideration CPP or a CAF pension.
hmm that's a good question...

Last edited by Artie Simm on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 00:35; edited 2 times in total
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next