Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

DEC CONSIDERATION

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: DEC CONSIDERATION

Post by bigrex on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 14:02

Artie, the thing is, if you go on ELB, it's ensures a minimum gross income of over $47000, but as a Cpl, or higher, with at least 10 years of service, it could be more, depending when you served. You would just be getting that amount split between two sources, ELB and the CF pension. Then your PA pension would be on top of that. Plus you can also apply for CIA, and CIAS (if deemed unable to work), if you're able to get it approved before next April. I'm making more money now, than when I was fighting to keep working, and I'm not having to keep myself doped up, just to get through every 12-14 hour shift.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3437
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 12:19

kathyS wrote:l guess VAC will put me on ELB which also deducts superannuation which will end up being about $30000, it's not much with a wife and 3 kids, but at least l can get full time treatment.the only reason l keep posting here is hoping to find someone that was in my exact shoes and how they survived, just looking for a glimmer of hope............

If i was dealing with all this i would contact two places. Bureau of Pension A.  Secondly contact the VAC onbudsman. They both will listen and comment. Sometimes its out of their scope but it may help you sort our your situation. Neither place will your discussions affect any benefit program that you have or may receive in the future. Let us know. You do not need this stress
thanks l have contacted the bureau but they said they could only help me if l was looking for a reassessment of my injuries which I'm not.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 11:34

l guess VAC will put me on ELB which also deducts superannuation which will end up being about $30000, it's not much with a wife and 3 kids, but at least l can get full time treatment.the only reason l keep posting here is hoping to find someone that was in my exact shoes and how they survived, just looking for a glimmer of hope............

If i was dealing with all this i would contact two places. Bureau of Pension A. Secondly contact the VAC onbudsman. They both will listen and comment. Sometimes its out of their scope but it may help you sort our your situation. Neither place will your discussions affect any benefit program that you have or may receive in the future. Let us know. You do not need this stress

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 10:24

bigrex wrote:Artie, no disrespect, but you've been asking the same basic questions for weeks. I and other have given you as many answers as we can. But we can only tell you how VAC benefits work, and what things will be deducted from ELB. But because private LTD plans, can include pretty much anything, even things that aren't legal, as long as they are never challenged in court. SISIP being the perfect example, I can't say that your LTD plan wouldn't screw you over. Ultimately, it's up to you, and your spouse, what you do.  

But I will say it again. if you are struggling, to the point that it's getting you in trouble with your employer, it may be better to retire for medical reasons, and go on LTD or ELB, even if it's reduced, than to be fired, and risk not being entitled to any benefits.
dont get me wrong, l appreciate all the advice I've been given here,but the reason I keep dancing around this subject is that l dont want to land out of the frying pan and into the fire. You are right l probably should not be working and instead get full time mental health,but suppose i were to go off from my work sick,and LTD is $1000 a month take home, but my superannuation pension is also a $1000,subtracted from that,I'd be broke, l might as well put a gun in my mouth, one less mouth to feed. I get it, the system isn't fair ,but from my angle l keep trying to go to work as long as l can until they do fire me l guess because right now that's bringing home the most bread to my family. If/ when l lose that job, l guess VAC will put me on ELB which also deducts superannuation which will end up being about $30000, it's not much with a wife and 3 kids, but at least l can get full time treatment.the only reason l keep posting here is hoping to find someone that was in my exact shoes and how they survived, just looking for a glimmer of hope
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 07:32

Artie, no disrespect, but you've been asking the same basic questions for weeks. I and other have given you as many answers as we can. But we can only tell you how VAC benefits work, and what things will be deducted from ELB. But because private LTD plans, can include pretty much anything, even things that aren't legal, as long as they are never challenged in court. SISIP being the perfect example, I can't say that your LTD plan wouldn't screw you over. Ultimately, it's up to you, and your spouse, what you do.

But I will say it again. if you are struggling, to the point that it's getting you in trouble with your employer, it may be better to retire for medical reasons, and go on LTD or ELB, even if it's reduced, than to be fired, and risk not being entitled to any benefits.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 00:33

AirLog wrote:Are your LTD benefits taxable or non-taxable? GWL made it very clear to me that all VAC benefits will not offset my LTD benefits. Not sure why yours is different.

AirLog
maybe the girl l spoke to on phone didn't know what she was talking about.however I addition to a disability pension l also get a superannuation pension this is subtracted from elb so l would assume its subtracted from LTD as well?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 22:44

Are your LTD benefits taxable or non-taxable? GWL made it very clear to me that all VAC benefits will not offset my LTD benefits. Not sure why yours is different.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2017-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 22:11

AirLog wrote:Artie Simm,

Not sure what LTD company you are dealing with but mine is Great-West Life. Because it is a non-taxable benefit it does not offset my ELB nor does my ELB offset my LTD. Best of both worlds. Which company are you with and is your LTD taxable? Your pension is factored into your ELB benefits, it will offset your ELB but this is part of how ELB is calculated. I have only been on ELB for 13 months and my CM has indicated that he will be requesting DEC on my behalf. Not sure what makes a CM go down this path but I wasn't going to stop the CM from doing this.

AirLog
well now I'm really confused because I am with GWL. In their forms their is a page that lists deductions that will be removed from your take home pay and they include military and disability pension s, I mean lve never filed but it's written there with blanks to fill in the amounts.l don't want to go off sick and end up in the hole.l wish l knew how to upload the exact page so people could see what I'm talking about.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 13:54

There are no set rules as to when benefits can be applied for. My CM applied for the rehab program, ELB, PIA/PIAS, Attendance Allowance, and DEC all on the same day, and all were approved.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:53

Artie Simm,

Not sure what LTD company you are dealing with but mine is Great-West Life. Because it is a non-taxable benefit it does not offset my ELB nor does my ELB offset my LTD. Best of both worlds. Which company are you with and is your LTD taxable? Your pension is factored into your ELB benefits, it will offset your ELB but this is part of how ELB is calculated. I have only been on ELB for 13 months and my CM has indicated that he will be requesting DEC on my behalf. Not sure what makes a CM go down this path but I wasn't going to stop the CM from doing this.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:18

AirLog wrote:Hi Artie Simm,

I am also being considered for DEC as recommended by my CM. I haven't heard back on the results as of yet. Hopefully soon. I am 59 and no one has ever mentioned my age as any limitation or factor in any decision. Taking age into consideration would be discrimination so I don't believe that VAC would openly mention age in any form. If your LTD is tax free it won't be used to reduce your ELB. This is my case. At first it was used to offset my ELB but once I presented VAC with a letter from my insurer stating that my LTD is in fact 100% employee paid (contributions) and not taxable then my ELB wasn't offset by my LTD.

In the long run having a DEC designation will be good for VAC benefits such as EELB so if you can be determined DEC I believe that that will be good for you in the long run.

All the best.

AirLog
I'm so confused.my Ltd rep from work told me that if l went on Ltd l would actually bring home 0 in pay as the 70% of my income would be reduced by superannuation and disability though others tell me that's not allowed.wouldnt someone go on elb for 2 years before being declared dec,not the other way around?thx.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AirLog on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 08:58

Hi Artie Simm,

I am also being considered for DEC as recommended by my CM. I haven't heard back on the results as of yet. Hopefully soon. I am 59 and no one has ever mentioned my age as any limitation or factor in any decision. Taking age into consideration would be discrimination so I don't believe that VAC would openly mention age in any form. If your LTD is tax free it won't be used to reduce your ELB. This is my case. At first it was used to offset my ELB but once I presented VAC with a letter from my insurer stating that my LTD is in fact 100% employee paid (contributions) and not taxable then my ELB wasn't offset by my LTD.

In the long run having a DEC designation will be good for VAC benefits such as EELB so if you can be determined DEC I believe that that will be good for you in the long run.

All the best.

AirLog

AirLog
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 23:23

bigrex wrote:And your disability pension, from the Pension Act, cannot be deducted from either your employers LTD, or ELB, because it is not classified as income.
lf l leave my job due to health reasons and go on ELB, as I'm 55, what is the likelihood that VAC would just write me off and say trying to send me back to school to some new trade would be a waste of time,especially with my mental and physical permanent injuries. Is it possible they would just declare me DEC? Who would decide that?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 12:54

And your disability pension, from the Pension Act, cannot be deducted from either your employers LTD, or ELB, because it is not classified as income.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sports_1977 on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 11:40

Hello Artie,

If you go on ELB for Example the lowest you will receive is 3900$ before Tax that for Pvt 3rd Class.
After Tax you would get 3200$ approximately. This is on calculation of 52584$/Year minus 10%.

So 90% of 52584$/year would be 47325$/Year

sports_1977
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2018-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: